Never in my wildest imaginations, did I think that I would be a coach of a Varsity Girls' High School Basketball team. I played football and baseball in high school for four years and I played basketball for one year, where I was the 12th man off the bench both in practice and in the game. I remember playing "tip-in" with my friend Jeff Cook all practice except for the times we had to run because the others players screwed up.
I liked basketball but was never very good and didn't really understand the intricacies behind the game. That was the only year I played and therefore I couldn't learn from the any past coaches I might've had. I also was the golf coach for 8 years.....and in high school I thought all golfers were dorks.
Life has a funny way of twisting our fate. The sports I know the most about are the sports I don't coach. Thanks to Todd Thompson, (you like those props TOD), I learned a lot about basketball and am hopefully using that knowledge to the best of my ability. What's crazy about girls' hoops is that I feel like I have a direct impact on whether we win or lose. In baseball, you set your lineup and hope for the best but in basketball, it's whether or not you can make adjustments on the fly, call timeouts when needed, and especially whether or not you can juggle high school girl's emotions. If you've never been around 8-10 high school girls for an extended period of time....consider yourself lucky!!!!
Anyway, here's to the Lady Breakers tonight. They won zero games last year and have been picked to finish last in the Orange Coast League. We went 4-8 in the preseason and our goal before the season (believe it or not) was and still is to win our league.
Stay tuned......
ps The picture below is what I imagine happening when we win our league. You are all invited.

3 comments:
I'm totally coming when the "Highschool Musical" crew shows up. And was that line "being around 10 girls for an extended period of time" meant as a double entendre? If so, I don't appreciate the reference to menses in your blog post. Totally inapropriate.
But I DO appreciate that you aren't just writting about sports anymore. Makes it more interesting for us members of the species on "extended periods."
There was "no pun intended" but now that you mention it...very clever double entendre on my part.
Thanks for pointing it out!
Post a Comment