Followers

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Lady Breakers Victorious!!!!

WOW!!!! Unbelievable game last night for our league opener. We played Calvary Chapel (who is supposed to finish first or second in our league) and before the game the coach approached me and said, "I need you to beat Costa Mesa this year at least once so we can win the league." I responded, "Good thing you get an easy one to start off the league." He then started backpedaling a little bit but the damage was already done. Bulletin board material for me to use right before the game...
Anyway, they came out with a full court press and before we knew it, we were down 7-0. Quick timeout and some minor adjustments and a few minutes later, we had surged ahead. I decided to employ the "triangle and two" defense to try and take their two best players out of the game. It seemed to work as their offense seemed out of sync. By halftime we led by five and knew we had a chance.

We came out EN FUEGO in the 3rd scoring 24 points in that quarter alone while hitting 5 threes and before you knew it, we had surged to a 13 point lead going into the 4th. They came out desperate and picked up their pressure and we started to wilt. They cut our lead to four with 2 minutes to play but we held our composure, hit a few free throws down the stretch, and came away with a 58-53 victory!

The girls played GREAT and were so pumped after the game, (as was I), and their coach appeared shell-shocked as I shook his hand and congratulated him on a "well played effort."

Needless-to-say, I sang this song on the way home and felt as if the bucket of Gatorade was being dumped on me!

What a feeling, bein's believin'
I can't have it all, now I'm dancin' for my life
Take your passion, and make it happen
Pictures come alive, you can dance right through your life!!!!

8 comments:

EZ E said...

That's sweet you guys took down Calvary. Way to make the coach feel like an idiot for his comment.

By the way, with regards to your earlier posting from a few days ago, now matter how crazy people think I am I will always speak out in support of Molly Ringwald's hotness.

Greg said...

Props to the Lady Breakers from their number one fan in Hawaii!! I suppose we should not get out the bubbly for a league championship just yet - but I'm feelin' it.

After all of the LBHS (Lady Breaker Hoops Squad) struggles, well, you know - "First when there's nothing but a slow glowing dream that your fear seems to hide deep inside your mind. All alone I have cried silent tears full of pride in a world made of steal made of stone."

Greg said...

BTW Sweet choice to go to the triangle and two.

maines said...

You guys would've rocked "Dont Forget the Lyrics". Maybe I will take you as my back up, after all.

Dro said...

Maines, before you get too excited, I just googled the lyrics. Sorry to disappoint. Eggman would do much better than me. I'm a pretender not a contender.....jusk my wife. :)

loubige said...

Truedat.

Unknown said...

sweet story dro! Some coaches are so cocky and it's good to see them take a slice of humble pie every once in a while...nice job kid.

PS- What is a Lady Breaker? Does your team do a break dance at halftime or something?

Dro said...

Good question. We used to be the "Artists" but I guess that was a little too feminine for some people....so a few years ago they took a vote and went with the "Breakers."

A "Lady Breaker" is either a female wave or some chick with sweats on spinning on her back on some cardboard.

I'd go with the latter.