Followers

Monday, January 21, 2008

The Happiest Place on Earth?


Rhetorical question....not this time. After talking to many of my friends, family, and acquaintances, I am seriously questioning the often uttered phrase, "Disneyland is the happiest place on Earth" at least as far as men are concerned.

What is it about Disneyland that draws people into buying the hype about this "happy" place? What do they find so enjoyable about the picture listed above: Large crowds, long lines, crying babies, mothers breast feeding on rides (see Green Beans blog...sorry Maines), teenagers making out, expensive food, etc.

Ever tried to go down Main Street with a double stroller after the 9:30 fireworks? Most people aren't so happy. A few years ago, a mom (in front of her kids and mine) actually started cussing my wife out because Lou Ann called her out for taking cuts in line. That day neither mom was too "happy"....not in the uncomfortable elevator ride up to our parked cars nor on the car ride home.

Yes, the rides are fun to go on. Yes, the look on my children's faces is (at times) worth it. Yes, I know I should and need to go on occasion to fulfil my duty as a father; however, why do males consider it "the most miserable place on Earth" while females think just the opposite (even after the previous noted experience). I don't know the answer thus this blog post. Dr. Phil, Opera, Tom Cruise? Are you out there? I need an answer.

We have gotten yearly passes a few different times including this last year and we probably went around 15 times. The kids always ask me what my favorite ride is and guess what I say:
"the tram........the 2nd time I ride it." Of course, they don't get my sarcasm just yet, which is probably a good thing.

Now hunny, before you get upset, I don't hate Disneyland and I do enjoy it from time to time BUT the reason for my post is because I want to know everyone's answer to my question.

What makes Disneyland such a happy place for some (females, children) and such a not-so-happy place for others (males)? Comments.....


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Generally speaking: If wife is happy we are happy, right? Therefore wife happy at Disneyland, then Disneyland is the happiest place on earth. Simple as that.

Now Ikea is the happiest place on earth for me. I don't know, maybe it is the bright colors, the simply constructed furniture, the ability to fit so much stuff into a small space, I always leave with a smile on my face.

Dro said...

Noodles, your first paragraph was very good but DUDE....

IKEA is your happiest place on Earth?!?!?

Between you and Blaise my family is going to start wondering what my friends are really like? :)

Unknown said...

Dro, what have I said on here that would make your family wonder something like that? Wow. haha

loubige said...

Thanks. I had forgotten that lovely experience until you just brought it up again. That was horrible and thank goodness the kids were young enough to really not know that this woman was truly PSYCHO.
The sad thing was when I asked her to refrain from the vulgar obscenities in front of the kids, her pre-teen kids just had looks on their faces like this was a normal occurrence to hear their mom dropping the F-bomb and calling strangers Be-atches. Nice.

I chuckle when I remember the looks on the faces of the poor family stuck in the elevator with us...so sad. Definitely NOT the Happiest Place on Earth that day. Yikes.

Jen said...

It all comes down to memories and tradition. Giving our children memories that bind them together with their brothers & sisters, with cousins, friends and neighbors.
Can you honestly say that you don’t reminisce when you watch the fireworks show? That you don’t recall shrinking in the ride “Journey Through Innerspace”?
And find yourself repeating along with the narrator, “This chamber has no windows and no doors... which leaves you this chilling challenge, to find a way out!”

And isn’t it great when your children are young enough and think the animals on the Jungle Cruise are real? And ask you if Tinkerbell really can fly?

I’m sure that our parents asked themselves the same question…..Why do we make this journey to this magic land that at times is a “happy place” and at times a hell hole?

Sunday night we were sitting at the table (w/ Dro and Loubige) and reminiscing about the People Mover and the Tron grid. Wondering “Why did they take that ride out?”. Again, our parents took us to Disneyland and in so doing created memories for us that bind us together with our family, community and culture. And whether you like it or not, Disney is part of our culture.

So throw in the towel! Buy yourselves some season passes and enjoy it!

Plus we really like going with you guys and are sad that your passes expired.
See you Friday night? Meet us in front of Space Mountain…say 6:00? We’ll pick up the Fastpasses ☺

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you Dro. I think the whole family knows my feeligs about D-Land. It's OK sometimes, but once or twice a year is more than enough for me. I don't understand why some love it so much and those same individuals don't understand my feelings about the place either. While your Blog post is helping us try and understand each other, I'm not sure we ever will.

Dro said...

Oh great! Now we have to decipher who the anonymous poster is. Let's see...

#1 Who is up at midnight?
#2 Who doesn't like D-land?
#3 Who doesn't understand why some "love it so much."
#4 Who wouldn't want to put their name on such a post?

Answer????

Unknown said...

Dude, D-Land is the worst place in the world for me. I absolutely hate the crowds, the rides, the $14 hot dogs and most of all those freaking cartoon characters that take pictures with your kids who seem to want to take a break every time I finally get to the front of the line. Then my kids start crying cuz they didnt get to meet goofy, who is actually a 16 year old little dork who wants to go take a break so he can text his boyfriend at Laguna Beach HS and drink his red bull while I'm left standing there with three screaming kids.

Now Chuck E Cheeses on the other hand is the BOMB. I can take my kids there for one hour while I sit down and shove pizza and coca cola down my face while the kids play video games. Oh yeah, and they dont charge me $400 dollars when I walk in the front door.

PS- Noodles, maybe you should consider interior decorating......you would be fabulousssssssssssssssss!!!

KASnow said...

I am glad to see that other SoCals agree with this NoCal that DL is not the happiest place on earth (I've mentioned it at work and have been shunned by other SoCals for months). The fond DL memories I once had as a kid have faded as quickly as the joy I must have fleetingly experienced when I first graduated from diapers to big boy pants. In addition to the other comments made on this board with respect to unending lines and outrageous costs, I want to add something else to the pile. I am going to call my issue "reverse class envy." I am not the wealthiest person on earth, but I earn a better than average income. Notwithstanding this fact, I can't afford to equip each of my four children with Mickey Ears, a prosthetic hook from the Peter Pan store, a Goofy nose, a full Davey Crocket buckskin outfit together with 10 glow sticks in addition to paying for three meals plus snacks through the course of a long, long day at DL. Yet, I see people who I would testify under oath use food stamps for all other consumptive purposes do just that and more. After dropping $1000 bucks or so to "enjoy" Disneyland the last thing a father wants to hear is: "This sucks, why didn't you buy us all the stuff that those kids have." After hearing this and watching "those kids" collect tomorrow's breakfast from the parking lot garbage cans with their prosthetic hooks I begin to question my value as a father and as a provider. This is another pain I can live without.