Followers

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

For the Love of the Game

A few years ago, my friend Kyle and I were talking on the golf course and started relaying to each other the different sacrifices we made so we could play golf on certain occasions. After saying and hearing a couple of different "crazy" scenarios, Kyle mentioned that I should write a book and call it For the Love of the Game.
In this book, I could compile stories from different golfers around the nation where they rearranged, sacrificed, and sometimes put their job and families on the line JUST for a round of golf?!?!?

What is it about this silly game that makes grown men do outrageous things????

For example, a few years ago, my friends and I wanted to play golf in Las Vegas. We figured we could go up the night before, get a hotel, play 36 holes of golf, crash at the hotel, and then drive home. Sounded like a good plan to us; however, after presenting this "good plan" my wife wasn't as thrilled as I was. I can't remember the logistics but my wife told me that I could go, "only if I didn't spend the night."

Most people would've cancelled the trip due to the fact that it was almost impossible "logistically" to play 36 holes in one day and "not spend the night." However, (most of you golfers know), that if you indeed play "for the love of the game," that this trip could and would happen.

So to make a long story even longer....most of my friends go up the day before and spend the night as we had previously planned; however, I cajoled a friend or two to drive up with me the next morning (morning = 2:30 am). Our first tee time was at 7:00 so we had to leave by 2:30 in order to arrive on time. Anyway, we pile our clubs in the car, and head out to Vegas for the four hour jaunt...all "for the love of the game."

Well, we arrive on time, play 18 holes, head over to another course for 18 more, and then head home....arriving about 1 am the next morning. So you see....I was able to play 36 holes while "not spending the night" and still satisfy my quench for the thirst of hitting a little white ball into a little black hole. I was thrilled with my ability to drive long distances, play golf for 10 hours, and still make it home without injury or accident.....my wife, not so thrilled. Needless-to-say, for the next few weeks, there was no "love" and I got no "game."

There are plenty of other stories similar to that or even more crazy but due to this being a public blog, I will refrain until the book comes out and I can publish anonymous stories. :)


What I would like to hear from you (so I can get the book started) is your best story of what you've sacrificed or what your husband/boyfriend have done "FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME."

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Dro, I remember that trip......You left out the part about gambling and chippendales. I also think loubige had a plan of her own..... get you tired enough to fall asleep at the wheel which I think happened, or was that another trip?

I don't have any stories as good as yours but I can say I have begged, borrowed, stolen, cheated (not on the course) and lied in order to play a round of golf. The first question and usually the only question I get from my wife is...."how much is it gonna cost?" I will usually take a second to figure out what it costs and then take about %75 off of that number and tell her "about $25.00". Dro, the Arizona trip is at the top of my list when it comes to sacrifice. The $$$$$$ we didnt have , the motel 8 which never happened, you bringing your Family, you crapping your pants and not having spares and me playing 72 holes with a rash that took a month to heal. Unforgettable!!

Dro said...

That trip was epic! In order for it to happen, I had to turn it into a "family trip," sleep on the ground in a hotel, bum some money off Bags and T-bone, hope that Adam Morrison didn't score 25 points, and all the while wearing the same underwear for 4 days straight.

FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME!!!!

KASnow said...

I remember closing a $40,000,000bond transaction on the Desert Course at La Quinta when a problem came up that we had to deal with in between shots on cell phones. Fortunately, the client was with me and we were playing on his insistance. I know this story is not what you were looking for. For the most part I have not risked too much for a round of golf, that is why I am not very good.

Anonymous said...

I was in the truck with you for that trip, crazy, I still can't believe we did that. I remember teasing Nelly about a pillow and didn't Todd get pulled over by the police.

While living in California, I left my job early many of times to play golf in the IE on fridays. I believe I told the company I worked for, sorry but I got to go, no other excuse. I kept my clubs in the car just for that reason.

I have flown cross country just to play golf. But the best for me was I played golf in Vegas the day after I got married, that almost cost me my marriage seriously. But all my friends were there from different states and some I hadn't seen in years. I figured I was going to see my wife everyday for, well forever, so one day golfing isn't bad, even if it was the day after getting married.

Dro said...

Noodles, that's classic. Golf on the day after the wedding. Let's the wife know that if you are willing to do it then, you are willing to do it anytime.

IT = Golf of course.