While that might not appear to be strange to the you the outsider, can you honestly remember giving your high school teachers a present? And if you did, was it a fresh red apple or just a card saying Thank You for being my teacher? Or how bout this? Did you ever give your teacher an American Express credit card with a $100 balance to be spent at their leisure?
Because upon opening my gift from this student, that is what I found. Needless-to-say, I was somewhat shocked and taken back. After recovering I, of course, raised this kid's grade immediately! Who says that teachers can't be bought?
Anyway, I have been constantly asked what the difference is between teaching in Riverside and teaching in Laguna Beach. My response is, "not much." All high school kids basically act the same: (see Breakfast Club photo).
You will always have your rebels, nerds, jocks, goths, and hotties. (question: Is Molly Ringwald really considered to be hot? I think my bro. in law Eric is the only one that thinks so). Anyway, the gifts at Christmas time were the only noticeable difference so far. True the skin color and the main language spoken might be a little different but at their core all teenagers fit into one of those five categories.
I guess the question then should be asked......If teenagers in all aspects of life can basically be categorized into only 5 categories, are those categories ever changed even as we grow older?
My guess is No.
True, you might change categories as you grow older but look around you....don't you know people who are still trying their hardest to get into the "hottie" category even as they turn 40 (muffin tops and bikinis that don't fit come to mind) or try and remain in the "jock" category (see softball player) or try as they might get out of the "nerd" category: (Anyone want to watch the BYU game at my house? I'll supply the Sprite). Then there are those who refuse to work for a living, act as if they don't care about anyone or anything "rebels" and of course, I'm going to continue wearing black my whole life and act depressed all the time "goths."
All in all, I've come to a conclusion: I teach high school kids for a living and still attend high school even when I leave work.


14 comments:
I guess you would consider yourself in the jock category. I prefer to think of myself as a hybrid of jock, nerd and rebel.
Kidney Blows
I consider myself a 'wannabe jock' which is why I continue to hold onto the glory years by playing softball from time to time.
I prefer to think of myself as none of these categories, which I guess makes me a rebel against your theory.
I was hoping that there would be a Lady Breaker sidebar regularly updated on this blog. Please accomodate!
I personally feel and agree with Greg that these groups do not incorporate everyone...unless you did what Andy did--make yourself a hybrid. But I guess that's just my "nerdy" side getting a little too philosophical. :-)
Lou Ann you are clearly in the "hottie" category!!!! (see January 1st, 2008)
Greg would be the hybrid of nerd/rebel. Smart enough to make more money than us "jocks" and "rebellious" enough to live on a ranch in Hawaii.
Lady Breakers play on Friday for our first league game against Calvary Chapel. Nothing to report until then.
So profound. I'm sure Eric appreciated the picture of Molly Ringwald.
Nice post, Dro. I still can't believe you got $100 from a student. Just out of curiosity, which category did the student fit into that gave you the money?
The main other category I would say is the popular crowd, which is mostly made up of hotties, jocks, and rebels. But some people are just funny and likable and I noticed in high school were able to break into the popular circle without being a jock, hot, or a rebel.
I am soooo glad I'm a hottie! When I like, read your blog and stuff, I was like...he's soooo cool and I was like...I am soooo hot! My wife was all...you're stupid...and I was all...whatever! --Your B.F.F. Pete XOXOXOXO
Jon,
If I pay you $100 will you blog about how you think I am a combination of a rebel, jock and hottie?
And can I just publicly comment how happy I am to be able to be able to read Dro's thoughts on a daily basis. My wife has been getting annoyed lately because I sit at the computer all morning hitting the refresh button just hoping that a new blog is coming.
Thanks Mark, I knew that you would appreciate it more than anyone.
Because only you got a taste of it for a whole year way back in 1990-1991 and for 16 years, you have had a void in your life.
I realize that this blog has cured your illness. You're welcome!
Two comments. 1. If one is still wondering about what group he or she fits into many years after high school, it is well past time to move on. 2. I was a jock and am now a geek (evidence that #1 is more difficult than it should be).
Post a Comment