Followers

Friday, January 18, 2008

American Idol



So, I'm watching American Idol last night with my kids and am wondering why it is the most watched television show of all time and came to a conclusion: We, as a society, love EXTREMES. We love the fat guy, the ugly girl, the hairy man, and the hot chick.....thus American Idol was born. The producers of A.I. are very smart....they noticed this trend in our society and created a show with the facade of a "singing competition."

How many times have you been to the mall or been walking on the street and said to your friend, "Dude, look at that fat guy, isn't that hilarious?" or "Homey, check out the hot chick on your right...nice."

If you want to be on American Idol for 2 minutes and get in front of Simon, Paula, and Randy, you only have a chance if are abnormal: "extremely" fat, bald, hairy, short, tall, or good looking. Also, have any of the good looking girls ever NOT gotten the yellow paper to continue on to Hollywood? What does that say about this show which is (in my mind) a microcosm of our society?

Quick self-test: If you watch American Idol, which part of the show do you like the most? The first few weeks or the last few?

If you answered the first few, then you also enjoy laughing at people. If you answered the last few, then you watch because of the "singing competition."

I'm not saying this to condemn anyone as I am the most guilty of all....just an observation on my part about our society. The next question would be, When do we lose that innocence and become a person that laughs at another's expense? Hopefully, it's later in life but as I'm watching American Idol last night, even my four year old told me to rewind it so he could see the "guy dressed like a girl." Not only did I rewind it, I paused it and the kids and I had a good laugh.

ps Maybe I'm just a bad parent.

4 comments:

Greg said...

I have never seen American Idol, but I did see the Lady Breaker score:

Laguna Beach Girls Basketball
Costa Mesa 53
Laguna Beach 26

Michelle Figueroa, Amy Gentling, and Kathy Trinh for Costa Mesa were unstoppable, each scoring in double figures, while not a single Lady Breaker scored in double figures. There were NO rebounds by the LBHS and 11 by Figueroa alone. WHAT HAPPENED?!!

Although disappointed I will assume this was just a bad game (over confidence after last week's victory) and I will continue to support the LBHS. If this kind of performance continues us boosters may be looking for someone's head.

Dro said...

Brutal game. Our worst performance of the year by far. There was a reason I didn't post our "lowlights" from the game...

THANKS FOR THE REMINDER!!!

Just got back from our game against Estancia and can you say VICTORY VICTORY!!!!!

Down by 13 in the 2nd quarter, we fought back and won 47-42.

YEA BOYEEEEEEEEEE.

Greg said...

The LBHS rocks!! I guess that is better then bricks (which is what they did vs. Costa Mesa). My faith is restored!! Nice scoring night by Sam (14) and Lauren (11). I think it was all about that 3rd quarter when your shut down D held Estanca to 6 while the LBHS scored 14. Kudos!!

Greg said...

Also, with the Costa Mesa victory over Calvary Chapel (55-38), the Lady Breakers are in a solid 2nd place in league. Nice.