Followers

Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Best of Both Worlds!

Well, finals and thus the first semester came to an end yesterday and it gave me time to reflect on my first semester at LBHS. As an English teacher, the transition was seamless and after about a month I felt comfortable amongst the students, teachers, and administration. Granted, I don't really know a lot of the teachers that teach at my school; however, that is really not my focus. I eat lunch in my room with the door open which encourages the students to come in and talk, make up tests, play on the computer, or just hang out. I might be isolating myself from my peers but (like I said), I'd rather get to know my students than my peers...keeps me young, I guess.
Anyway, as an English teacher, all is well. I've gotten good feedback from the students, parents, and administration so I think I'll be sticking around for awhile. Which brings me to my other job: Varsity Girls' Basketball Coach. If you've been reading this blog you know that our team has had our ups and downs but luckily for me, I stepped into a "no-lose" situation. The team won zero games last year so I figured if we won a few games this year than all would be well in Laguna. Well, we've done that but I still believed we had underachieved up to last night. The parents were happy, the players were happy, but deep down I knew that we were better than our record reflected.....and then last night happened....

We played Costa Mesa at Costa Mesa. The last time we played them, they beat us down and beat us down good. They led 19-5 at the half and ended winning 54-27. It was embarrassing and tough to swallow.....so, we figured we had something to prove last night.

We started out much better and actually only trailed by one after the first (13-14). That we had scored 13 points in the first quarter was a good sign. Since that game, I had to put in a couple of different offenses that would counterbalance what they were doing to us defensively and they seemed to be working. We trailed by 6 at the half but we knew we could play with them and you could see our confidence rising; however, the 3rd quarter was not good to us. We trailed by 9 going into the 4th quarter and got behind by as many as 15 BUT after that point, everything started to click.

One of our best players caught fire and could not be stopped. We cut the lead to 6 and we had the ball. I called a timeout, set up a play for the girl with the hot hand, and luckily she drained the 3 to pull us within 3. They missed again, we scored, and with about 1 minute to play took the lead for the first time. Luckily they came down and missed yet again so we lead by 2 with the ball and 45 seconds to play. I called timeout and told them to use every second on the 30 second shot clock. Not only did we do that but our point guard drove the lane and with the shot clock down to 2, scooped up a shot that bounced in...we now led by four with 15 seconds left. They came down and shot a quick 3 that stuck in between the rim and the backboard...jump ball and guess what....the possession arrow was ours!

They fouled us quickly with 3 seconds to go and we're still up 4. Our girl misses the front end of the one and one and they pass it out to their guard who throws up a halfcourt shot that swishes through the net as time expires.........but obviously it only counted for 3 points.

Laguna Beach won 59-58 and is now tied for first in the Orange Coast League with a 5-1 record!!!!

Unbelievable game.....unbelievable finish! Our senior shooting guard ended up with 25 points while shooting over 70% from the field. Also all 5 starters played the whole game, and as we were leaving, the Lady Mustangs of Costa Mesa were all in tears...in shock that they had lost to a team that won zero games last year.

So as good as it is to be an English teacher at Laguna Beach High School....today it feels even better to be the girls' basketball coach. One might say, Hannah Montana and I have a lot in common....."We've got the BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!!!!"


4 comments:

EZ E said...

Where's Eggman? I'm surprised he didn't comment on your win last night. I guess that now that he's back in Hawaii, he isn't checking the blogs anywhere near the 20 times a day he did while in Rancho Mirage.

By the way, Congrats on the Victory Dro. I'm sure your making the coaches of Costa Mesa and that other school (I can't remember which one, but you schooled his team too)tremble in fear. Could the Lady Breakers actually be #1 this season.

Becky said...

The LBHS rule. We got one more against Costa Mesa that we got to take at home. Also, no looking past the mighty Estancia Eagles. Loved the game break down - keep it up Dro. Its hard being so far from my LBHS.

Eggman

loubige said...

I wish I got a babysitter and went! That would have been fun, oh well. Also, now that I know when you walk in the door nursing a Jack in the Crack milkshake it's a victory I will hope to see those more often!!!
P.S. Chad, why didn't you and Heather tell Jon you were going to the boys game after, (or maybe you did and he just didn't tell me) I TOTALLY would have gotten a babysitter and begged you guys to go early so we could have hung out. Tell Heather to email me, she has been a slacker!

Unknown said...

Loubige, I told Jon on Thursday that I was going to the game but he just said he had to go on the bus or something..what a homo. We could have all gone out to dinner or something afterwards. Heather's B-day is this weekend and we're going out so if you guys aren't busy lets roll. I'll have heather e-mail you.

Shackie