Followers

Thursday, January 10, 2008

And Yet Another LB Reminder.....



So, the bell rings for school to end and I'm sitting at my desk comtemplating life (ie how can I get us to play better basketball) and I look outside my door and once again, I was reminded that I do indeed teach in LB. For lo and behold, there they were: two high school MALE students making out.

Initial reaction: Disgust. Secondary reaction: Confusion. Last reaction: Intrigue.

The question I have always asked myself is WHY? What happens to a person to make them attracted to the opposite sex? I don't think I can ever be convinced that people are born homosexuals....so if they are not born that way, what happens in their life to change them from their natural instinct?

Personal opinion: It's got to be how we are raised. True, we all have our free agency, however, are we not led towards certain likes and dislikes depending on what we are shown, read, and experience in our youth?

Currently we are reading Frankenstein by Mary Shelley in my Senior English class. After creating the monster, Victor Frankenstein abandons him and he is left alone in the world, deserted by his "father" and left to experience life as an innocent young child. After being rejected by society because of his unnatural physical appearance, the monster goes on a killing spree in order to get back at his creator.

So who's to blame? In my opinion (once again), I blame the person that should've raised him in a certain way but instead shirked his responsibility as a parent and did not teach him between right and wrong.

I'm not sure what the best way is to raise children but I do know that if we don't teach them "correct principles" then our children will, in fact, "govern themselves" as THEY see fit.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Dro, it's interesting you mentioned Frankenstein. I just read that book last week and I loved it. There's a lot to think about there. I just wrote a review of the book on goodreads.com yesterday. It's a cool website where you rate books you read and then link up to friends and see what they're reading and you can post reviews. I'll send you the link to join if you're interested.

Dro said...

Of course I'm interested. Books rank right behind sports in the hobby section of my life.

loubige said...

I'll agree with you partly. BUT I do feel that life experiences also are a major factor. Outside influences/expriences can mold some people just as much as what they were taught as a youth from their parents; especially if it is/was traumatic.
I still am not sure what I believe when it comes to being "born that way".....is it a "trial" for them to endure? It is socially acceptable now, so calling it a trial to be "born that way" is a bit taboo in today's society but as a Christian maybe that is what I believe......

maines said...

So you're saying that when we have our gay son (something Cort has been convinced will happen to us since before we got married) you will blame it all on us? And where is the personal responsibility in all this? At some point the monster has to say, "ok, Frankenstein sucks and treated me like crap, but this is MY life and it's what I make of it and maybe I shouldn't go on anymore killing sprees." I don't know. I think blaming it all on the parent or creator is a cop-out. Sometimes we have to rise above our situations and make something out of the crap hand that we are dealt.

Hell said...

Is it bad to have thoughts of other men? This isn't about me but a friend I have from the Niagara Falls area. Ever since his freshman year of college he thinks a lot about short funny men, i.e. George Costanza or Jon. He keeps having these thoughts especially lately because he now lives so close to his old roommate.

Dro said...

Maines, that is not what I'm saying at all. I believe that if you teach your children "correct principles" then you've done your part; however, if you shirk from that responsibility then YES, you are to blame.

I blame Victor Frankenstein because he ran away from his "son." He CHOSE to create him and then CHOSE not to teach him the morals of society; therefore, I do find him guilty as if he committed the murders himself.

Mommy Royce said...

This was definately very amusing in my class of yearbook. You know now much work I do in there.

I don't know if you have heard, but the district has this new thing where we don't read any novels. We have to stick to the text book. Don't worry though, I have been doing a lot of reading. I am now on my way to read Prince Caspian. I am pretty excited! The district is just so ridiculous!

Dro said...

Rachel,

I feel bad for you having to receive an "education" from RUSD. The decree came down from the top to "not teach novels" because they supposedly don't help students do better on the Cal. State Exam...so why teach them?

Nevermind the universal themes, the life lessons, and the ability to actually comprehend and understand the classics.

I wish you could see what a real high school and district looked like down here at LBHS. Test scores are not the "end all..be all" and the students actually learn about life and how to act in a society when they are no longer given a multiple choice test.

Mommy Royce said...

Yeah, it is a sad thing that they think that why bother with things that won't make them look better; HOW IGNORANT and not to mention selfish. They will soon see the sad results in the students lives after school, and how what really mattered wasn't something that would they would be tested on in the Cal state exam.

Mommy Royce said...

I would just like to postscript the fact that I am very tired at the moment, and my grammar was atrocious. I will have to ask your forgiveness.

Unknown said...

dont knock it til you've tried it...:)

KASnow said...

Searching for "one reason" why something or somebody turns out the way it or he/she did is a sign of causational immaturity.