Followers

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Church Attendance....Necessary or Just Routine?

First of all, I apologize in advance and also, after the fact, for any of you reading this blog that I have or will offend. It is not my intention. I created this blog, mostly for entertainment purposes, and also to give you my take on life. Most of you will probably disagree with me and think I am, as some put it, "Whack" but nonetheless, I am glad for the outlet and therefore will continue until I either run out of ideas or start to bore even myself.

After attending Stake Conference today and last night, one of the things we learned was that we could all be a little more charitable, a little nicer, and a little less upset with the people around us and our children.

On my way home today, my mind flashed back to my mission where I served in the Canary Islands. The most common response, upon knocking door after door, was that most people claimed to keep the commandments and be good people, so why would they need to get baptized and attend church every week to prove it? I gotta admit, as a 19 year old, this response stumped me......I would usually just bear my testimony about the gospel as the door got slammed in my face. I didn't know the answer to that question back then and as our leaders talked about being "good people" today and yesterday, once again, I asked myself, "Why do we attend church every week? Why is it necessary?"

Sixteen years and many life experiences later, I believe I was ready (this time) for a decent response:

My opinion is this....We attend church every week, not only for ourselves but for everyone else in our ward as well. We attend church every week because we are not selfish. We attend church every week because we have no paid clergy and we are willing to serve others to help the Church grow and prosper. We attend church every week because "Charity is the pure love of Christ" and we are willing to sacrifice our time and talents to the building up of the kingdom on Earth.

Sure we could stay home, keep the commandments, be good people, and live a prosperous life; but in the end, who have we saved besides ourselves.....and if this is our attitude, will we really indeed be saved?

4 comments:

maines said...

GREAT post. I love it. I will have to reread it every time I start struggling with my calling and remember why I'm there each week. I guess we also go to help keep the "kudzu" out of our lives.

Dro said...

Truedat....keep away from the "kudzu." Thanks Maines!

KASnow said...

Since this appears to be a Mormon Blog (maybe a little jack Mormon), I will add my two cents. We attend Church to take the Sacrament. This both renews our covenants and renews the effects of our baptism and confirmation (sins remitted and spirit promised). This is one of the reasons why those who fail to take the Sacrament weekly have a grater tendency to drift, loss of spirit and unremitted sins piling up). All other reasons, while good, are ancillary to this one. Why, you might ask, do we attend Sunday School? That is a question answered only by those who are much deeper thinkers than I am.

Dro said...

Oh yea. Forgot about the most important reason. Thanks Kyle for the reminder!

As far as Sunday School.....can't help you there.