Followers

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Who is the REAL Oprah Winfrey?


First of all, I realize I am going to be treading some shark-infested waters with this post...especially coming from the perspective of a male; however, for the last 20 years, I have been quite disturbed everytime I stumble upon the Oprah Winfrey show.

This picture says most of what I feel about Oprah: FAKE.

Just look at the way she is responding to whatever Toni Morrison just said...hand out, pointing to Toni, and acting like she's the funniest, most clever person she's ever met. While that might be true, I have a hard time believing (as Oprah does) that every guest is the funniest, cleverest, handsomest, prettiest, gets the same fake laughter, and THE LOOK at the audience like, "Can you believe what you guys just heard and saw? You can only get this on the Oprah show."

My wife happened to tape the show with the JUNO cast the other day and knowing how much I loved the movie, wanted me to watch what Oprah had to say. It wasn't 5 minutes into the show and I turned to my wife and said, "She hasn't seen the movie yet." Totally obvious and yet she kept dropping this beauty..."This movie is so FRESH. You've all got to see it." I think she said, "fresh" about 20 times in 15 minutes.

Also, she spent about 2 minutes with the star of the show (Ellen Page) because she's just not that important yet. Jennifer Garner was next and (of course), we spent the next 10 minutes talking about "how great of an actress" Jennifer is and how "tough a role" she had to play. Within the 15 minutes that I watched, Oprah said (at least 3 times) that she personally knew Jason Reitman's (Director of Juno) parents. (Ivan Reitman is the famous director of movies like: Stripes, Ghostbusters, and Animal House).

My question is: Why does she feel a need to do that? My honest opinion is that she's done it for so long that it's just natural now. She thinks she is being real and she doesn't realize how fake she appears to most of the population.

Granted....Oprah had done a lot of good these last 20 years and she has used some of her money in a positive way; however, I am wondering if any of what she does is ever done in secret without fanfare and without personal accolades. It reminds me of a "Seinfeld" episode where everytime George goes to put money in the tip jar, the guy turns his back and so according to George, "He might as well not tip him if he's not going to get the credit." I think Oprah is like this both in her personal and public life. The important actors she interviews longer, laughs louder, and has a perma-grin constantly on her face. Then if and when she donates to charity....BAM, it is all over the news.

Maybe I'm just jealous that she is admired by millions. Maybe I'm just a hater and am fighting against the feminism movement that is being led by Oprah herself. Maybe she just likes to make everybody feel good.

Or maybe, she just doesn't understand that when you are so fake all the time, no one really knows when you are being real.

11 comments:

loubige said...

Good post. I must say even though I think she is fake sometimes I still DVR her show and watch the ones I am interested in. You just learn to look past her "all knowing" air that she has about herself and others and listen to the stuff you wanted to see. It would be interesting to know if she does do kind deeds without people knowing, I would like to believe that she does.

And have you ever thought that she might be a bit insecure and still wants people to think she's cool, thus the name dropping all the time? That could be a possibility. We all want to be liked. (see your Breakfast Club post)
Another theory is maybe over the years it has gotten worse b/c she has become more and more prominent and maybe it is just an unconscious way to protect herself by being a bit fake.

Or a completely different theory--maybe you are jealous of her millions and are looking for things to be bugged about. :-)

Unknown said...

Dro, I'm on board with your comments 100%. I HATE Oprah, she is completely unwatchable. Her appeals to the emotions are blatant and heavy handed. I've long felt the Oprah show is all about Oprah. She will get some big time guest on there and then talk more than they do, using their celebrity to boost her own. She's pathetic.

Unknown said...

Dro, If you couldn't go outside without 500 dudes screaming your name and crying when they saw you I think you'd be a little weirded out as well. Oprah is annoying but the "oprah freaks" are way worse.

Also, since Oprah is fat one week and then skinny the next I think she has developed multiple personalities....Fat personality and skinny personality. So maybe you're just seeing her fat personality right now and it's really annoying you. I personally like her skinny personality better, she's not as cranky when she's thin. Maybe Steadman is nicer to her too, I dont know.

Jen said...

The cover of her magazine says it all. She puts herself on the cover every month. Enough said.

Anonymous said...

Geez, so much anger, so much hate.

Oprah does whatever she has to do to make her millions, and I would do the same. Any one of us would, work for 3 hours a day at most and make all that cash come on its what we all want.

Who cares if she is fake or real, she is untouchable and I want that status. I want to rub tummys with Tiger, MJ, Russell Simmons. Wait all them people are black, I will never reach that status cause I am white. Oh well, a white man can dream, can't he?

Anyway, she can do no wrong, just like the Rev Al Sharpton, those poor Duke Lacrosse players.

Dro how do you think of such interesting topics, I would usually not care less about hearing the views of my friends, but you make it so...so fun.

Dro said...

Noodles, thanks for the props! This blog has been a fun thing for me. It satisfies my desire to write and be somewhat creative. Not sure where the topics come from but I'll probably run out of ideas eventually. :)

KASnow said...

Congratulations Jon on becoming an adult. Now that you have Oprah figured out, I think I can let you in on the following:

1. TV anchors often times present a point of view rather than the truth.

2. Politicians don't always mean what they say.

3. Baseball players deny taking steroids or HGH even when they did.

4. Fellow workers say things that aren't true (even about you) to get ahead at work.

5. When you give a talk at Church some people will say they thought it was a good talk even if they don't.

6. When you go to a car dealership sales people may act as if they like you because they want you to buy a car (they really don't care too much about you).

7. When professional athletes say the most important thing to them is winning a championship when they just signed with the Clippers, the Devil Rays or the Dophins they are really doing it for money.

8. Tiger and Phil really don't like each other too much even though they say they do.

9. Men don't help with dishes and watch kids just because they think it is the right thing to do.

I guess the list could go on and on. I think you get the point and I'm glad you have finally figured out Oprah.

loubige said...

Hilarious list KASnow! I especially liked the one about the talk at church.......I would have never thought as a little kid that there are even "politics" at church as well as the butt kissers and people who patronize. (sorry readers if that was a bit rude)

Anonymous said...

Dro, I'm not sure what's more disturbing, Oprah....or you writing several paragraphs about Oprah! You have a take on Oprah? You da man! Give O the benefit of the doubt...Cook said she seemed genuine in his Oprah debut. I don't watch Oprah...prefer Maury..."That ain't my BABY!"

Anonymous said...

Fake, fake, fake and of no interest what-so-ever!

Anonymous said...

Oprah is a whore. I have used her and now I shall abuse her. She actually wanted to carry me around the same way Michael Jackson used to carry "Webster" around. Not happening!! I'm sure the other presidential candidate will agree with me. O thinks she is going to be my VP.
What is up with her getting extra "ghetto" when black folk come on her show? I mean, look at me. I'm practically albino compared to her.
I have to catch a train to Wisconsin.
Mr. Dro, good luck with the girls basketball team. That seems like a fun game to play. Please vote for me. Barack 08!