Followers

Thursday, February 7, 2008

WARNING....(Controversial Topic)......Could Contain Material Unsuitable For Children under 18.

Since this is my personal blog and I don't really know who is reading it and making judgments accordingly, I figured why not have a post about a topic with which everyone is familiar. A topic that is taboo and never comes up in a church meeting where the goal is to "strengthen relationships" even though it is the most important. A topic that always comes up in every marriage and yet outside of that marriage, the individuals are afraid to discuss it openly because they think their situation is different than everyone else's. (Loubige....please forgive me in advance).
Okay, here is my personal take. I encourage your comments even if they are anonymous because you fear your wife/husband might be reading this blog.

SEX is the #1 issue in most marriages. Most husbands think they are not getting it enough and most wives can't believe it's so important. (note: The case could be the opposite in your personal situation so just flip flop roles as you read this).

So, what is the solution. My personal opinion: It takes a huge sacrifice from both parties. I know I only have 12 years of experience but (finally) after 12 years, I think I understand the opposite sex. (Keyword = think).

First: The Wife

Picture this: Our wives get the kids up, get them ready, cook them breakfast, take them to school, do homework with them, clean the house, cook the food, do the dishes, get the kids in bed, and FINALLY have some time for themselves. It is now 9 pm and they finally get to relax and watch some TV or read a book or just put on their PJs and rest; however, along comes BIG DADDY looking for some action and you can see the look on the wife's face, "You have got to be kidding." Her thoughts are, "I finally get some time to myself and now I have to get all worked up just so he can feel like a man and immediately fall asleep afterwards....yea right! This ain't going to happen."

Advice for the Husband: Be understanding of her situation. Know that she needs her time and just wants to relax. Realize that it's nothing against you personally...she just can't give you what you want and need everytime you want or need it. Also you can't give her an ultimatum like: I need it 3 or 4 times a week. That just doesn't work because it puts too much pressure on her to deliver. If you give her what she needs...guarantee she will give you what you need. (no, not everyday but things will happen). Start off small...give her a backrub every once in awhile with NO STRINGS ATTACHED. Then start to do the dishes a couple times a week with NO STRINGS ATTACHED. Then offer to pick up some food on the way home or even cook every once in awhile so she can relax in front of the TV for once. Remember the key is....NO STRINGS ATTACHED. Before you know it, she will see how much you are sacrificing and therefore she in turn will reward you accordingly.

Next: The Husband

Picture this: Husbands leave the house around 7 am every day. They go to work which is tedious, time consuming, and sometimes downright boring. They labor all day. They have to sit through meetings. They sometimes get yelled at from their boss. They worry that they are not making enough money and aren't pulling their weight. They feel less like a man because money is scarce and/or they might lose their job. Finally they get home around 6 pm and just want to relax; however, upon opening the door, they find the house not necessarily in order, perhaps the kids are screaming, and /or dinner might not be ready. Finally, it's 8 pm and the husband just wants one thing: Relieve all the pressure he has been feeling all day....and yet, the wife gives him the cold shoulder, claims a headache, and goes to sleep. The husband is left with this thought: "Look what I do for this family. I work all day long trying to earn a living so we can live in this beautiful house and drive the cars we do. I put up with my boss and angry co-workers. And all I ask for is some "alone" time with my wife and yet, she is too selfish, stubborn, and bitchy to give it to me. Why do I even bother?"

Advice for the Wife: Be understanding of his situation. Try to understand what he goes through on a daily basis and the pressure he feels for trying to support a family in the 21st century. Think of all the nice things you have, the cars you drive, and the house you live in and realize that all those things are because your husband works so hard and wants the best for you and the kids. Sometimes when you are tired and just want to relax....remind yourselves of those things and say to him, "Honey, tonight I'm really tired but if you need a quickie, I'm game." He'll be more than pleased...believe me. Other times, (perhaps on the weekend), give him a little more. Dig out the lingerie, dust it off, and surprise him once in awhile. Get some candles out, turn on some music, and you will have him hook, line, and sinker. No, you don't have to do these things everytime but they are definitely noticed and appreciated by your spouse when you do sacrifice and put forth the effort. Before you know it, as you do these things, he will reward you accordingly with some cuddle time, backrubs, cooking, and doing the dishes.

No, my wife and I don't have it all figured out. No, I am not a psychiatrist. No, I don't have all the answers. However, I figured if no one else was going to talk about it.....I might as well.

GOOD LUCK and HAPPY MATING!!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice take Dro. I'm printing this off and giving it to my wife. It's good to know that we are not the only ones with the exact same scenario!

loubige said...

Nice.
How'd you know about Big Daddy?!

Anonymous said...

Now, Dr. Dro, what happens if your wife wants it all the time, does the cooking, the cleaning and everything but the husband is just too lazy to comply, or plainly just doesn't want sex?

This is not my scenario, I am the exact opposite, but I was wondering if this situation is really that far fetched.

Sex is weird. The person who doesn't want to give it up has so much power, yet it is something where the end result can be completed without the spouse being involved. So why do we allow our spouses to have this power. I say when a couple wants to have kids, have sex, other than that sit in a dark room and imagine. Screw intimacy, its over rated anyways.

Signed
Disgruntled in Atlanta

P.S. I cant believe the Lady Breakers beat my Estancia Eagles, back in the 80's that was unheard of.

Anonymous said...

My condolences to "noodles" and all who had to picture him and his noodle alone in a dark room "imagining".

Lou deserves countless no strings attached back rubs for this post.

loubige said...

Truedat

Cort said...

What? Dro talk about sex? Because nobody else will? Wow....what a surprise. Dro never talks about sex.

I don't blame you for wanting it 4 times a week though...espcially with that picture of your wife dressed as a beer can, or whatever that is.

Dro said...

Noodles: In the scenario you mentioned about having a wife that, "wants it all the time AND does all the cooking, etc."

What would I do? Um....Call myself the luckiest guy in the world and pray that nothing changes.

Cort: I took that picture of Loubige when she dusted off the "lingerie" and emerged as Mr. Recycle. Aw yea!

Anonymous said...

Jon, this is your former Bishop. This is the exact type of trash that we discussed countless times in meetings. I am repulsed by people who are willilng to share the most intimate details of their lives in a public forum. Here is my advice to all you young men out there. Just wait a few years, your desires will diminish as those of your wives' increase. At that point the shoe will be on the other foot and you will have all the leverage. Don't ever assume that you work harder than your wife (whether she works outside the home or not) and try to avoid conversations about who has it worse. Not only does this not lead to amourous encounters, it begins to add additional layers to a crust that can form around a marriage if there is not mutual understanding and compassion. Now, Jon, I strongly encourage you to drop your blog.

Dro said...

Former "anonymous" Bishop:

I have heard for MANY years about the "diminishing desires of the male" and the "increased desires of the female."

Personally, I think this is a MYTH perpetuated by the female gender and Bishops to keep us young and old males at bay.

Anyone else feel this way?

KASnow said...

I think Spencer Kimball's counsel concerning this issue is relevant for both males and females: "Just Do It."

Anonymous said...

I am flattered "anonymous" that you think of me that way, but I am married sorry buddy.

I was trying to bring up the issue of power and sex, just as Dro's former bishop did. Its a power that is used to control another person most of the time, even if people don't realize they are using it that way. So why don't people like to talk about sex, because they don't want to admit that they are controlled by something.

I for one choose not to be controlled that way, therefore I choose to abstain from sex. Rather than view it as not getting any.

But did you hear what the BYU coed did once the alcohol and drugs were brought to the party. She put on her clothes and left. HAHA. I heard that one years ago at BYU.

Unknown said...

I totally agree with noodles about sex being used as a control device and all I have to say is luckily I'm not married to one of those girls cuz it would last about 3 days and I'd be gonzo!! There is so much more to sex than the actual act itself. I'd say at least 80% of a mans happiness is tied to sex if not more.I admit mine is probably 90% (lakers 5%, food and water 5%) Self esteem, stress & anxiety levels,etc are all tied to it. Sex/Intimacy is our love language . Help with the kids, washing dishes, cleaning house, or doing what they need is their love language and we as men should realize this if we "wanna get some" or as dro puts it "get a quickie".

Here's how a wise couple put it to me once: "whenever he's in the mood and I wasn't, I'd get in the mood and when I was in the mood and he wasn't, he got in the mood.This way it was not possible to feel rejected. If you are truly in love with that person you won't deny him or her the right to feel loved". Hey, I'm no Dr. Ruth but I thought that was pretty good advice.

Nice job dro, this should be brought up more, I'm glad to see Loubige can laugh about it.....just like your wedding night!