
I'm in a bit of a quandary here. Those that know me, know that I love to read. I find an author I like and then read everything they've written and eventually write.
John Grisham is one of these authors.
I remember reading A Time to Kill when it was first published in 1988 and loved every minute of it. I remember thinking that whenever Grisham came out with another novel, I would buy it immediately and read it from to cover to cover. I followed through with my vow but for some reason never found the pinnacle of pleasure I had discovered when I read A Time to Kill.
You must be wondering how I came up with this topic. Well, I just finished The Appeal....John Grisham's return to the courtroom. He has dabbled (I believe, unsuccessfully) in other genres including his latest non-fiction account called The Innocent Man and because of the mixed reviews he has received, he decided to return to what he knows best: Small time lawyers suing billion dollar companies in hopes of a huge verdict in the end. The typical David vs. Goliath courtroom drama.
The Appeal is no different except with a twist. The verdict happens in the beginning of the novel and then true it its title, the rest of the novel revolves around whether or not "The Appeal" will hold up as Big Businesses try and manipulate the Supreme Court. At this point, I will not divulge anymore in case you plan on reading it.
On the surface, it was a good read and like most Grisham novels, you can't put them down; however, as with most of his novels, the book ends and you are left wondering why you just spent all that time reading them. Maybe it was my first initial contact that I had with Grisham that keeps me coming back. I keep thinking that one of these times, he will figure out a way to end a book without the reader throwing it across the room and yet, The Appeal (just like the previous novels) found its way flying toward the wall as its reader (me) looked on with disgust.
So, let me return to my initial question....Do you love or hate John Grisham? Personally, I love to read his books and then hate him when I am done.
Actually I just realized something: Grisham is one of my vices. After getting a first initial taste, I became addicted. And now when another book is released, I can't help myself. I buy it, I read and enjoy it; however, by the end, I hate it and hate myself for giving into the temptation and vow to never do it again.
If it's not Fantasy Sports, it's John Grisham. Somebody help me!!!!

6 comments:
I have only read one or two Grisham novels. While I have found his stories entertaining, he does not produce great literture (as a lawyer I also find most of his stories lacking in realism - like a first year lawyer taking down a major corporation). I'm not a literary expert or an English teacher, but I have always been taught that great literature is more than a good story. It needs to explain or teach about something universal as opposed to just telling a good story. Grisham is like top 40 music. His stories are catchy and the plot can stay in your head for a day or two, but in the end they are forgotten.
Kasnow, I agree with you. I read The Firm and The Pelican Brief years ago while they were pretty entertaining, in the end there was nothing to think about. There is nothing that resonates or warrants spending any additional time thinking about it. Pop music is a good analogy. Both are crap. Dro, you should stick with literature. It's a little tougher to get started on a great work of literature, but in the end there is a huge payoff that makes it all worthwhile. You actually find yourself pondering a story and its characters AFTER you're done.:)
But sometimes don't you just want to be entertained, not taught a lesson. I had a friend tell me once, when you go to the movies most of the time you have to suspend your disbelief. He to is a lawyer, hmm I guess lawyers are pretty insightful.
So I adhere to that when I am reading most books and watching movies, then I am entertained.
Noodles, you are right. I read books sometimes just for pure entertainment and for relaxation. True, I enjoy the "life lesson" novels from time to time but when it's time to just get in the PJs and lay down and read a book...give me a Grisham, James Patterson, or Nelson DeMille any day.
Fortunately for me, I get to teach the classics throughout the year. So far this year I (and my class) have read: Hamlet, Fahrenheit 451, Frankenstein, The Odyssey, Pride and Prejudice, A Christmas Carol, and The Chosen.
All good books with life lessons which is why I got into teaching in the first place.
I totally agree with your post dro. I often find myself gravitating towards Grisham when there is nothing else I can immediatly think of to read. I too am ticked off at the end of each and every book because the conclusions are LAME! Yet, I keep going back. So does the means justify the end? Evidently it does...I'm sure I'll be picking up The Appeal at Costco soon.
I've read several Grishams, and would describe them as very well told, but lacking in substance. They don't ALL end with the new lawyer taking down the corporation, there are a few that end with the protagonist hiding on a yacht in the Caribbean. Also, have you noticed, that girl who wear red toenail polish in a Grisham novel, end up in bed with the protagonist?
Post a Comment