Followers

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Tuesday



NO, this will not be a blog about why so and so should be elected as the Republican or Democratic candidate. However, (since it is Super Tuesday) it will be a blog about my curiosity about why politics and religion create such passion and sometimes anger in people.

You ever notice that? You could be talking about anything and the conversation will cruise along but you start to bring up either politics or religion and you can feel the mood start to change. Then if you dare debate with this person, their passion is revealed and the anger begins to flow almost to the point of throwing blows. And some Mormons are no different as evidenced by certain conversations I've had lately as these two passionate subjects have started to merge.

This past week, I've received numerous emails (forwards) about why Mitt Romney is the best choice to lead our country and pleading me to forward it on to all my friends. I even got an email about some guy who saw Mitt Romney attend his Sacrament Meeting and it happened to be a fast and testimony meeting. Supposedly Bro. Romney sat there quiet throughout, didn't go up and bear his testimony, and even those who did made no mention of Bro. Romney's presence. Then afterwards, this person was able to shake Bro. Romney's hand and "then he knew" Romney would be the best choice for President.

Here's one of the last quotes in the email: "Mitt Romney is not doing this for himself. He's doing this because we need him to. Our children and grandchildren need him to. He's our last hope if this country is to survive, then thrive, once again."

Seriously people. Have we really sunk this low. Is it really going to be the end of the United States as we know it if Mitt Romney is not elected President? Emails like that almost make me want to vote for someone else.

Anyway, I just thought it was funny. Debates are heating up around the country and people are very passionate about who and why certain individuals should be President. In the end, (my personal opinion), it really doesn't matter. Sure I'd like to see Mitt Romney win because I believe he holds the same core belief system that I do; however, won't any of these candidates do what is right for America and if they try not to, isn't there a system in place to make sure that they do?

Maybe I'm just naive. I encourage your passionate responses.

5 comments:

Greg said...

What?!? Did I read that it doesn't matter who we vote for because it will all work out in the end? Sounds like an English major. I agree that the "I have a testimony of Mitt Romney" thing sounds a little over the top, but it does not logically follow that it doesn't matter who we vote for. A president nominates Supreme Court judges, advances policy changes (like Bush's No Child Left Behind - which has significantly changes the way you do your job), introduces a national budget, initiates military action, negotiates treaties, etc . . . . Each of the candidates would approach these issues differently - very differently.

Also, while I don't believe in voting for Mitt because he is a Mormon (I am voting for him for a variety of reasons), I do oppose Hackaby because his clear and regular disparagement of my faith (starting back when he was gov of AR and came to Salt Lake with the Southern Baptist Convention to reclaim the Mormons). I would vote for Obama over Hackaby.

Unknown said...

Dro, I agree most of the candidates would try to do what's best for the USA, at least they would try to. I don't believe Billary would, though. I think she is concerned about one thing, herself. One of my best friends is a secret service agent and he says no one wants to be near her because she belittles the agents, is ultra demanding of them, and is a complete brazen trollop to be around. This, coupled with the time I saw her trying to read to kids who she clearly could not stand, have made me think of her as a person who hates people except for herself. How could someone like that do a good job as president?

Dro said...

Although (as an outsider) it would appear that the "no child left behind" theory has impacted us teachers, I can tell you (as an insider), it has no bearing on how teachers perform in the classroom, which is unfortunate. It is almost impossible to fire a teacher and therefore most teachers do what they want, when they want.

Most have been teaching for decades (dinosaurs) and continue doing what is comfortable regardless of any outside pressure to actually try and relate to the kids. Sad commentary but (mostly) true.

KASnow said...

1. The political world will not end if any of the remaining candidates are elected. From a conservative's point of view, that world ended with the New Deal.

2. It is interesting that Mormons find it odd that a large percentage of blacks vote for Obama, but don't find it odd that 90% of them vote for Romney.

3. An actual conversation overheard at work yesterday.
Person #1. Who are you going to vote for?
Person #2. I don't know, I'm still doing my reserarch.
#1. What about Mitt Romney?
#2. I don't know if I could ever vote for a Mormon. Are you famliar with their history?

At this point the elevator door opened and I did not hear the end of the conversation, but, with my Mormon persectuion complex fully awakened, I began to wonder if there are too many Person #1's in the country to prevent Romney from having a chance and whether certain congregations aren't discussing such things and strategy in their meetings.

4. I imagine that a person's tax bracket may have a great deal to do with whether one thinks the election makes any difference.

5. Discussing politics is almost as dangerous as discussing who is the best basketball player of all time.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I sometimes wonder the same thing Dro. Will my life be any different if Hillary, Obama or Mccain is my president? The answer is probably not right now but could it affect our future and our kids future? Definitely. Hillary and Obamas first item of business will be to end the war on terror by bringing the troops home. could this affect our safety? I think so. The list goes on and on. Bush was not perfect but he acted when most would have peed their pants and he's doing his best to continue the cause to protect this country.

I have to agree with greg about huckabee though, this guy is a first class idiot. Dude pardoned like 1200 people during his term, 12 of them were convicted murderers and one of them after being released murdered a young married couple. My vote goes elsewhere.