Followers

Saturday, February 2, 2008

LOST


Why LOST? Anyone else a fan of this TV series now in its 4th year? I don't know what it is about this show but for some reason I am captivated. My wife will tell you that most of the stuff I watch on TV is sports related (except for Gossip Girl of course); however, for some reason this series has gotten my attention and I usually watch it LIVE....no DVR recording....I actually sit through the commercials! (I know, you are opening your mouth in disbelief...someone actually watches a TV show at the time it is playing on TV)!?!?!

What is it about strangers being stranded on an island that makes for a good story? (Survivor fans?). Why do we like to watch people survive under adverse conditions and do we ourselves secretly wish that we were on that island as well? (obvious answer: Evangeline Lilly but besides that.....)

William Golding's Lord of the Flies has been a classic for a long time and it is because he sets up this very premise: Airplane crashes, strangers meet and have to try and get along, and (for some reason) a leader must be chosen. And when that leader is chosen, then someone else has to get their feelings hurt and that person then becomes the antagonist.

Lord of the Flies became not only a classic but a book that is mandated by most high schools as a must read.

Survivor became instant "must watch TV" many years ago and hasn't slowed down since.

Castaway was a hit in the box office.

Lost is now in its 4th season with a contract to go through 6.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the answer is and maybe most of you don't even watch the show and could care less about it; however, for some reason it grabbed my attention early on and hasn't let go. Personally, I think it's because the people that get stranded on the island (whether it be on Lost, Survivor, Lord of the Flies, etc.) become basically a mini-society. They are forced to choose a leader, make rules, build shelters, find food, and fend for themselves. As we are watching, we are wondering what role we would play if we were on that island......

Would we be the one chosen to lead and make tough decisions? Would we be the damsel in distress waiting for someone to save us? Would we be the antagonist who didn't think the leader was making the right decisions or at least let our voice and opinions be heard? Would we be the one who wandered off in search of answers in the unknown world? Or would we just be one of the crowd who's story is never told because we never stand up for what we believe is right in fear of being mocked or ridiculed?

I actually think that is why I like the show. I can see myself and actually do see myself playing ALL of those roles at some time or another. Sometimes I enjoy being the leader (Jack); other times I wait around hoping to be rescued (Claire); at times I might question those in charge (Sawyer); once in a while I go in search of answers (John Locke); and in some instances I hope to blend in with the crowd and am happy that I am not standing out. (?)

For those who haven't seen LOST, I highly recommend it. For those who have seen it and enjoy watching it, I encourage your comments about why you like it? Is it just entertaining drama or is there some underlying message about ourselves and the society we live in?


6 comments:

Greg said...

Why Lost exactly my question. Why was the LBHS game against CC lost? Look forward to the update. Obviously it was a heart-breaker loss in overtime. I am dying to get the blow by blow. This weeks games are so critical must win games against both CM and the Eagles.

Dro said...

Dude, I'm not as excited when we lose....can't get up the desire to post about an overtime loss.

We actually got up 17-9 early...they dominated the 2nd quarter though and were ahead by 8 with about 2 minutes left; however, true to our form, we battled back and actually tied the game with 5 seconds to play.

One of our girls thought we were behind though and intentially fouled their player with 2 seconds left. Luckily she missed the front of a one and one and we survived into overtime.

However our 2 best player fouled out and a couple of calls didn't go our way including a rebound with 6 seconds to play that would've given us the ball and a chance to tie; however, our girl was knocked to the ground and instead of 2 free throws, we got called for traveling.

It definitely sucks to lose. But if we can win our next 2 games, we will still win league. They will be tough but I know we can do it!

Hell said...

Lost is the greatest TV show of all time. There is no other show that I look forward to more with the exception of I Love New York 2. The show is incredibly well written, produced, has a great cast and incredbile scenery which has to be seen in HD. Just as soon as you finally learn the answer to one mystery, another one unfolds. Just as you think you have a character figured out, you find out otherwise.

Please add Giligan's Island to your list of strangers being stranded on an island making good tv. In fact the one thing that could make Lost even better is if they added another charactor to give Evangeline Lilly some competition. That way the show could eclipse the Maryanne versus Ginger debate, although it would be tough to beat Kate.

Hans said...

I am getting in on this "Lost" thing a little late, but I can't resist because it's my favorite show too. I personally like the isolation aspect of being stranded on an island. The whole Lord of the Flies aspect is interesting with group interactions, but I really enjoy the thought of being alone and isolated. Although I don't think any of us wish to be stranded on an island with no hope of rescue, I wouldn't mind it for a few days. I wonder what I would do, could I survive. You mention how popular shows like "Castaway", "Survivor" ,and other "island" shows are, but I would also throw in "Survivor Man", "Man Vs. Wild", and that one episode of "The Office" into the same category or have that same intrigue. Although "Lost" isn't about surviving per se, it was in the beginning. That is what drew me in. It was the writing and continuing story line that keeps me watching.

I like Lost because I have to know what the hell is going to happen next. Whose funeral did Jack go to? Why the hell did Locke Kill Naomi, and when are they going to show Kate in her wet underwear again? The producers say that there is a answer behind everything that happens on the show, trying to figure it out is what leaves me shouting NO!!!!!! when that stupid "Bad Robot" goes running across the screen at the end of each show. Very clever writing. And Hell, Rock of Love 2 is a much classier show than I Love New York 2.

Dro said...

I hate that stupid robot! How did Hurley make it back with Jack and who were the other four? I guess we know that Kate was #3 but what about the other 3?

I'm thinking that Jack went to Ben's funeral and that Kate and Sawyer eventually get married but who knows?

They keep coming up with more and more questions and less and less answers....keeps me watching though.

All this talk about being stranded on an island reminds me of the good ole days with Hans as our drill sergeant...."stranded marines" wasn't it Mark? Pribyl? Reunion?

Anonymous said...

I watched the first one this season and thought, "Can I take this all again?" AND why do they have to go back? Yea, that is why I will be watching it again but it is frustrating without any even tiny resolution!!