Followers

Sunday, February 10, 2008

CIF BOUND!!!


Who would've thought in a place like this that high school girls basketball could be successful????

However, today was the day the Lady Breakers and I had been looking forward to since day one. Since the first day that I met the girls, we talked about two things: Winning our league and Going to the CIF Playoffs.

No one gave us a snowball's chance in you know where to accomplish either. Last year the girls won exactly ZERO games all year long. They had a 34 game losing streak and were basically the laughing stock at the school. If you are athletic or tall, you play volleyball at Laguna and who wouldn't with the scenery like it is 24/7. However, 2007-08 would be different.....

Well, we didn't win our league. We actually came within 11 points of doing just that; however, we finished up at 6-3, good enough for 2nd place and a CIF berth. Today, to celebrate and to start a new tradition, I took my 3 Senior Captains with me (to the CIF offices) to pick up our paperwork and see when and where we would be playing in the first round.

To our shock and dismay, we found out that we were actually ranked #10 in our Division and would be HOSTING our first round opponent. Obviously we were pleasantly surprised. And then as we were waiting in line to pick up our tickets, the coach in front of us started talking to me. I mentioned I coached at Laguna Beach and he said, "Oh, I heard that program was dead for a few years and now here you are picking up playoff tickets! Congratulations!" I told him that it was the girls doing and how hard they practiced and worked and he in turn mentioned two of the girls names who were standing right there! He said, "I remember playing your team three years ago and thinking LaRose and Grogan would be great as seniors." Anyway, the girls got a kick out of that and on the way home, I told them, "See, everybody knows who you guys are! Isn't that cool?"

Anyway, we had a good time talking in the car and reminiscing about the season. They were the only girls there amongst all these coaches and I don't think they were embarrassed at all but instead excited to a part of the whole process.

Who knows how well we'll do.....but all in all the season has been a great success and I'm glad to have been a part of it. If you want to see full brackets go to the following website and click on Girls Basketball. We are in Division 4AA.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Laguna Beach is Gay.....move back to rivertucky you hack.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy and excited for you and the girls. Dad and I think of you often and hope for your success in this now local. I mean if you do have to live far away (at least it's not Hawaii) we do want you to be highly happy = new adj. to describe happy. Go Breakers!!

Greg said...

The LBHS have had a tremendous season. I am so excited for the playoffs. Santiago better bring its A game. Great coaching this year, the use of the box and one/triangle and two in high school girls basketball was brilliant. The girls deserve such great credit - stellar. It is so difficult to buck a tradition of losing and they have done it!!!! Congratulations to the Lady Breaker Hoop Squad. Go Waves!!!

BTW - I saw the Hawaii comment mom.