Sunday night we were "treated" to the 80th Annual Oscars. As most of you know, I love the movies and enjoy the movie going experience. However, I am somewhat limited in what I watch since my declaration about 15 years ago that I would refrain from watching rated R movies. Therefore, I can't really give my opinion on most of the nominations being that I haven't seen most of the movies; however, my blog post will not be about who should've won or who could've earned the coveted Oscar this year...instead I will focus on the whole experience and how to improve and create buzz for the regular Joe.
If I were in charge of The Oscar Experience, I would do the following:
1. Sell and then hype the commercials just like the Super Bowl. (This would get people to watch it live).
2. Create a bracketology for the Oscars just like March Madness and pass it around the office. (Imagine the buzz this would create...millions more viewers would tune in).
3. Have the following people host the Oscars: (John Madden, Tony Kornheiser, and Al Michaels) and have them in a booth behind the scenes giving play by play and color commentary on the whole experience.
John Madden: "Look at the dress Al, can you believe it? It's RED and you can see her shoulders."
Al Michaels: "You got that right John. Do you believe in miracles Tony?"
Tony Kornheiser: "Yes I do Al......look at those hooters!!!"

4. Post the odds of certain people winning in the paper and talk about it openly in public. Get Vegas involved as much as possible. Have handicappers flood the radio with their takes and who should win and who the possible upsets will be. Also, make sure they not only say who won but who got 2nd and 3rd. This will encourage more gambling of course.
5. Have a Fantasy Actors/Movies Draft. Can you imagine the hype leading up to the draft? You must select 2 movies, 2 actors, 2 actresses, and 1 director.
"Dude, with my first selection I will take Daniel Day Lewis."
"Oh man, you're an idiot! You should never take an actor with your first pick. Rookie mistake!"
Why would I do this and what would this accomplish? Basically, sports as we know them have become more about the previous 5 things then they have about the game itself. If you erased those 5 things from sports, you would eliminate 1/2 if not more of the "fans" that actually enjoy watching and following sports.
Therefore, it is up to Hollywood to see what pattern has worked in the Sports World and then mimic that pattern.
I encourage all other business types to do the same. You will not fail!
Sorry honey. Our world, whether you like it or not, will eventually (if it doesn't already) revolve around SPORTS.

5 comments:
As one of those "non-sports" people that read your blog, I have an addition to make to your post. How about nominating movies that people have actually seen and like. Or movies that have been made in english outside of the foriegn movie category. People don't watch the Oscars because they have no clue what these movies are or who the actors are that were in them. I'm not suggesting we nominate teen flicks or slasher movies, but there are plenty of worth while films that get overlooked because they are not "independent films". It also is annoying to have 3 of the 5 songs nominated for best song be from the same movie...that is ridiculous.
And by the way there are pools set up for people who annually host oscar parties to bet on. So as you see, this does not help create Oscar buzz!
Classic. One of your bests post yet. :-) Steph already told you...sports has already infiltrated the Oscars--Oscar pools.
FYI, this years oscars was THE WORST viewed oscars EVER, pretty interesting. I think this is b/c of 2 reasons, movie's the average joe doesn't go to see were nominated, and 2 no one is watching t.v. b/c of the writers strike that just ended and so they haven't seen any advertisements for it, I completely forgot about it until I called someone who was watching it.
Me personally, I record it and watch the host to see if they are funny and fast forward it to the 5 main categories. I'd rather (gasp) watch a sporting event--at least it's more interesting with all the pools going on. :-)
Stick to Sports posts, they are much more interesting.
I don't enjoy watching the Oscars for two reasons: one, I haven't seen most of the nominated movies (most of America hasn't either), and two, I can't stand Hollywood actors. They like to think that the Oscars are so important for their "craft", but as we saw on Sunday, the general public really doesn't care. They just want good, entertaining movies.
Dro, in terms of bringing a sports sense to the Oscars, your mom already has. I remember being at their house a couple years ago on an Oscar's night and she past out a sheet to fill out with your picks for the different categories. Perhaps next year you can collaborate with her and bring some money play into it.
Also, I'm one of your readers that doesn't care too much about sports (except in certain sports on certain occasions), but I enjoy reading your posts about sports because you raise interesting points of view and make it somewhat exciting.
I can't stand those stuck on themselves, euro trash/ hollywood tofu fartin freaks that I can't get myself to watch one second of that crap. I'm just glad a laker game was on at the same time. That should actually go down as a clutch moment in sports history. Thanks to whoever scheduled that game. If I heard one more euro go up there and speak in french or spanish or with that annoying Irish lucky charm dude accent, I was gonna go hang myself.
Post a Comment