Answer: I'll let you know throughout this post.
Most of you know I am a high school teacher and have been for the last 11 years. Until recently though, I never really thought that the teenagers were any different than when I was in high school waaaaay back in 1990; however, this last year has changed my mind. I am also a leader of the 14 and 15 year-olds at my church, which only strengthens my argument that the youth are definitely different.
No, this will not be a post about how much better we were back then or how much harder we had it. However, I do believe that the teenagers are "different." Allow me to explain....
#1 LAZINESS

I know I was lazy back in the late 80s BUT these guys bring it to a new level. Ask them to do anything and it's like you just killed their favorite webkins. Personally, I blame the Internet. If the kids can't get it immediately off the Internet, then they quit or give up. Case in point: I assigned my seniors a research paper and told them they HAD to get 2 sources from the Orange County Public Library and couldn't use wikipedia. They almost castrated me on the spot. They didn't know what to do and had no clue how to even navigate the OCPL website. The next day, I probably heard at least 10 times, "I went to ocpl.com and couldn't find anything." I kindly told them that the answer wasn't immediately going to be found with one click of the mouse and that they might actually have to do some......RESEARCH!!!!
I've come up with a new term for this group of teenagers in the 21st century: "The Microwave Generation." If they can't have it in less than 5 minutes then it's not worth having. Also the only way, I can get my 14 and 15 year old kids at church to do anything is to bribe them with Chronic Tacos or Dairy Queen. If we don't have those things present at our mutual activities, then we end up with no one present. It's kinda sad but a fact nonetheless.
#2 VIDEO GAMES

Once again, I was like a lot of kids today: a video game junkie. I played Nintendo at home and arcade games at the mall; however, I believe there is a huge difference between now and then. Graphics in the 21st century have made these games very real. Teenagers have become addicted to games like: Call of Duty, Halo, and Grand Theft Auto.....all because of the violence involved. They love killing and trying not to be killed. I firmly believe that although I loved playing games like Ms. Pacman or Super Mario Bros there was no connection between those games and real life and therefore they didn't affect me like I think the "violent games" affect the youth of today.
#3 UCLA

Okay. Enough negativity. Here's where the big difference lies. After saying all that. After relying on the Internet for research, being addicted to video games throughout their high school lives, and needing dairy queen for motivation.....my seniors have been getting their acceptance letters this past week and I have to admit, I was in shock. I teach 70 non-honors seniors. Just regular kids, with regular schedules. Out of the 70, at least 60 that I know of have been and are going to 4 year schools like: UCLA, UC Berkeley, University of Oregon, University of Arizona, USC, Oregon State, University of Colorado, George Washington, Pepperdine, etc.. These are the same kids that sleep in class, talk about how many "kills" they get in Halo, and how awesome they are at Guitar Hero 3.

Either I am missing something or there's a miracle drug that these kids are taking. (Well, I know at least here in Laguna that kids do take drugs, which is another head scratcher all together); however, in my opinion, teenagers are naturally more smart and more prepared for college than I ever was.
Yes, technology has made this group of teenagers "The Microwave Generation" but it has also made them 4 year college students with bright futures ahead of them. For those who fear for our future.....fear no more. I believe you will be as shocked as I was when the very same teenager you can't stand at this moment because of his lazy and "I don't care" attitude is the same one who will be your own kids' doctor, lawyer, or teacher in 20 years.
Scary thought....maybe. But also a very encouraging one as well.

4 comments:
so so true...
i think in today's age..college is talked about at BIRTH practically..where are you going, how are you getting there, who's paying, what are you focusing on etc...i think the push for a 4 year college is 100 times more in their face then it really was in my day (93)-- it just expected that "you're going"--if that makes sense..
im the same way with the girls' school reports-WHAT we have to use a REAL book!??! geesh! too funny..
its good to hear that a lazy ass kid will turn into a smart ass eventually!
I'm gonna comment more on this later. I just need to finish the 100th level of this video game I just bought first. Dude, I am so close to beating Galactosaurus! he's a dinosaur in space who is trying to take over the universe, but don't worry, i'll save you all!!
I totally agree with everything. Sometimes I think I spend more time thinking about how I'm going to bribe the kids at church into listening to my lesson and coming to mutual than I do on the actual lesson and activity. The college thing though might also have to do with where you are. I remember when I was going to school with Ricky as his nurse and one of his teachers asked the class of 40 seniors how many were going to 4 year schools. 2 people raised their hands. I guess the teenagers out here are our future waitresses and landscapers.
p.s. Guitar Hero 3 rocks!
Post a Comment