Followers

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Masters!


Okay, I haven't posted about sports for awhile and with The Masters starting tomorrow, I figured why not now? My favorite sports event by far. Even being the baseball junkie that I am, the World Series pales in comparison to The Masters. Not sure why exactly but for some reason, I see Augusta, Georgia (in early April) as a little piece of heaven. (no, it's not because they don't allow women to join their club).

Anyway, it might be because my friend Nate invited me to join him in those hallowed grounds 6 years ago (2002) and upon entering the gates, I knew I had stepped into another place with which I wasn't familiar. I couldn't get enough....I walked all 18 holes....and then parked myself on Amen Corner for hours on end. It's not really something I can explain and it was one of those times where words just can't describe the feeling but ever since then, The Masters has made this time of year that much better.

There's a reason why it's the toughest ticket in sports. Once you go, you have to go back. If you haven't been, you have to go. I tell people I went to game 6 World Series, Anaheim Stadium 2002....they shrug their shoulders. I tell people I went to The Masters and they crowd around and want to hear all about it. They can't believe I got a ticket and wonder if I can introduce my friend Nate to them.

Tomorrow, it all begins....coinciding with my Spring Break. Aw yea!!! Give me the potato chips, Diet Coke, remote control and I'm good to go. I know what you're thinking...."How is that any different than any other day?" Well.....to answer your question...I usually drink Mountain Dew. :)

BOLD PREDICTION: Geoff Ogilvy wins with Tiger missing a clutch putt down the stretch. He's human after all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Masters, it is the most beautiful place on earth for me. Its the most amazing event ever. My wife thinks its weird that I bring plastic cups home every year and never use them.

I actually called my cell phone from a pay phone at the Masters one year and every year I call it and ask whoever answers how they feel about being there and what the conditions are.

Anytime you want to come back Dro you are welcome, we can get practice round tickets for $75. Unfortunately, I no longer have badges for the tournament but practice rounds are almost as good. Next time bring loubige, my wife doesn't like golf but loved watching Phil in person, for some reason the ladies love that guy.

Unknown said...

Dro, this isn't the first time one of your bold predictions have involved Geoff Ogilvy. You must have some sort of weird man crush for that guy. haha

I love the Masters too, but I think all the golf majors are right up there at the pinnacle of great sporting events worldwide. For me, The Open Championship and US Open beat the masters by a hair. I like The Open Championship best because there is something about links golf and the Old World that bring in the history of the game unlike any other sporting event in any other sport. The weather is always a factor on the island, and the uniqueness of that style of play is really cool to me. There is no other place where today's players actually try to hit low shots and roll the ball on to the green.

My love of the US Open is just because the setup is always the most brutal. I just get a kick out of watching the world's best struggle against brutal rough and greens that are like concrete. I think both of these tournaments require more mental toughness to win because of these outside forces than the Masters, but all three are probably in my top five or six favorite sporting events for the year. It's all good.

Anonymous said...

Ah, Phil will win and Couples will be a close second........

Anonymous said...

The Masters separates itself from the other tournaments in many ways. To name a few, it doesn't need corporate sponsorship, so the traditions have stayed the same throughout the years. Remember, when Martha Burke was staging protests to allow women into the club and sponsors were threatening to pull out. Well the good ol boys at the Augusta National said sweet go for it, actually that year they went without sponsors I believe and still paid the purse in the millions of dollars.

Second, have you seen the greens and all the trees and water that comes into play at the Masters? No the TV does not do it justice, you got to be there to appreciate it. These greens are known for being the fastest on tour. And the length of some of the par fours is ridiculous we are talking 495 yard par 4's.

Third, the pressure of winning a Masters is greater than any other tournament. Ask the majority of the golfers which tournament do they most want to win or even play in, yep the Masters. I don't know the qualifications for getting an invite to the other majors, but one way to get an invite to the Masters is by winning one of the other majors, you get a 5 year exemption. To me that makes the Masters a cut above the rest.

Lastly, what other tournament can you go to that no matter if it is raining or hot and humid, you will see the women dress as southern belles. And lets not forget the prices for food. A $1.50 for a sandwich, $1 for a drink, come on you can get a whole meal for $5, what other sporting event does that.

The Masters is and will always be the premiere tournament on the PGA tour. But you won't know until you go.

Unknown said...

Dro, You went to game 6 of the world series? Dude, tell me all about it!

Unknown said...

Noodles, I love the Masters. I just love the US Open and Open Championship a fraction more. In recent years as Augusta has gotten harder, I find it's almost a wash with the US Open. But there is something about battling the weather in the Old World where golf started that is priceless. The Open Championship is definitely in the conversation in terms of most prestigious golf tournament worldwide. If you ask the players what they would rather win, I would argue it would be almost 50/50 the Masters and the Open Championship. Certainly most of the Europeans would probably say the Opean Championship. I know Tiger has said it's his favorite tournament as well.