Followers

Monday, April 21, 2008

Getting or Feeling Old.....

Today is my birthday....I turned (gasp) 36 years old. Can't believe it. When I was a teenager, I thought dudes in the late 30s were pretty old. Most of my young men leaders were in the stage I am now and while some of them were cool, they were still 20 years older than me.....so how cool could they really be?

Anyway, I can't remember who said it but someone once said, "It's not how old you are, it's how old you feel." For some reason, I still feel like a teenager.....yea, I know what some of you are thinking...I still act like one too. So here's the question: At what age (or have I reached it already), is the age where you can't act like a teenager anymore? Where you have to actually be a grownup ALL the time? I can't imagine what my life is going to be like when I reach that point. Most of my humor and good times comes from acting WAAAAAY younger than I am.

I told my students how old I was today (26). Nobody yelled out, "Yea right!" They all just nodded their head and said, "Happy Birthday." I was pretty stoked. Not because I want to LOOK younger but because I want to ACT younger. Does that make sense? I don't want to reach that age where people are like, "Dude, you're 50...it's not funny anymore to talk about someone else's mom."

Later in the period, I told the students I was really 36 and they were incredulous. Couldn't believe it. One kid actually yelled out, "Yea right!" Others said, "We believed that you were 26 way more than 36." Now that gave me goosebumps. Very nice of them to say even if they were lying. :)

Needless-to-say, I'm getting older in age but not in feeling. I'm hoping that never happens but I'm sure it will one day. I'm sure I'll still be teaching high school 20 years from now and some kid will say, "Hey gramps. My dad said you used to be cool. Now you have hair coming out your ears and nose, you're bald, and you drool all day."


Of course, I will calmly reply.......... "So does your mom."



Nah, I don't think I'll ever FEEL old.




6 comments:

loubige said...

I'm glad that you will never feel old, b/c I have a feeling you will be the one keeping me young! Thanks babe! Love you.

Unknown said...

I knew you were getting old the day you crapped your pants on our golf trip to Arizona.

Happy B-day you hack!

Nana said...

well I will let you know when that age comes along. I haven't reached it yet. Even with all this junk that is playing havic with my energy I don't feel old. I just say "bring it on buddy". The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. This time it's a good thing.

loubige said...

Chad, you always crack me up!

maines said...

With 30 being the new 20 and 50 being the new 40, I think it's more acceptable these days to act young regardless of your age. At least your not going under the knife to appear it. I don't think there's anything wrong with staying in touch with a younger crowd, in fact I think it's part of your success as a teacher and a huge part of what we all love about you. You can be in touch with the younger crowd, laugh and joke with the younger crowd, but when you want to hang out with and be only with the younger crowd, then I think you have a problem. And just for the record- I will always think "your mom" jokes are funny (sorry baldwoman).

Brigham said...

Dude, "your mom" jokes will never get old...is there a better come back then that?