Followers

Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Masters Recap, etc...


As promised, I spent a considerable amount of time watching The Masters this weekend and was not disappointed. My man, Geoff Ogilvy was never in contention; however, Tiger did miss a few clutch putts down the stretch which cost him the tournament....so maybe I was half right. :)

Anyway, as I watched Trevor Immelman lead basically from start to finish, I was a bit awestruck. He was so composed and never let anything rattle him including his last drive on the 72nd hole that found a 3 inch divot. I couldn't help but think what made him that way. My guess is that he figured out that there was more to life than winning a golf tournament..........Only four months ago, doctors discovered a tumor in his diaphragm that required surgery through his back to remove it. Luckily the tumor was benign but I'm sure he had some self-reflective pressure packed moments which included thoughts of his wife and one year old son.

Now four months later he faced a different kind of pressure, trying to win his first Major even as a Tiger lurked from behind. As the camera would pan to his face, I was interested to see what was going through his mind. With most people, their expressions tell you everything that is happening in their lives; however, with Trevor Immelman all I saw was a calm exterior...one that said, "You know what, I might miss this putt or lose this golf tournament but my wife and son will still be there at the end and guess what....my tumor is BENIGN!"

It was then that I knew he had won even if he had lost....if you know what I mean.

Isn't that what most of us search for our whole lives? The ability to see the big picture even though the small one keeps getting fuzzy. Sometimes we shake the Polaroid so hard to get it focused that we forget what the focus should be.

Today I was reminded of that lesson through a South African golfer playing in a golf tournament. Is that weird or what? I know our prayers are answered in strange ways but from a stranger hitting golf balls on my TV?!?!?

Today I got to do a few things that ended up meaning more to me than they might've had I not received that lesson:

#1 I was able to teach my 9 year-old daughter's primary class
#2 I was able to celebrate my 7 year-old's birthday
#3 I was able to bless the Sacrament


As I reflected on those 3 things tonight and their meaning in my life, I vowed to stay focused on the BIG picture. I told myself that I could (in President Hinckley's words), "try a little harder and be a better person" each and every day.

Some days, I might find myself in a sand trap or a 3 inch divot.......but instead of freaking out and shaking the Polaroid, I will be like Trevor Immelman: calm, unnerved, and step up and hit the shot. Maybe I won't hit it pure or sink the putt (that day) BUT my wife and four children will be there in the end and I'm guessing there will also be my very own, endless supply of "green jackets." :)



7 comments:

Unknown said...

Dro, I wouldn't say Tiger missed a few clutch putts down the stretch. I would say he putted like crap the whole week. It was unreal how horrible his putting was this week, yet he still finishes second. This is the difference between Tiger now and Tiger five to ten years ago. Then when he putted like he did this week, he would finish 20th or 30th. Now he finishes second on an off putting week. It's a bigger testament than ever how amazing he is.

I was happy for Immelman, he's a class act. I did think this was a very boring Sunday, though. It was basically over when Flesch made double at twelve, giving Immelman a four shot lead. It was completely over after 13 when Trevor had a six shot lead. That's not exactly drama, but it was nice to see the young South African win his first major.

Unknown said...

I agree with blaise. Had I known it would be that boring I would have just watched the laker game live instead of waiting. I was cool with Immelman and was actually pulling for him after his hook in the water on 16 I believe? However, when he flexed his muscles and was checking out his biceps on the 18th green I was totally pissed that he won. Isn't this golf? dude, it's not like you just drove the lane and dunked on someone you hack! You walked 18 holes and hit a little white ball around while some other dude carried your bag and cleaned your balls (no pun). do you need mental toughness? yes, but i'm pretty sure his 9" pipes were a non-factor.

Dro, did you write this entry with me in mind? If my breaking clubs over my knee and dropping F bombs everytime I hit a bad shot is bothering you, just tell me. :)

PS- Can I borrow that blue v-neck sweater and the turtle neck?xbklf

maines said...

I found this entry inspiring. Thanks Dro. I needed that to see the green beyond the sandtrap.

Nana said...

You are my hero. I too have stopped shaking the camera and taking a closer look and today and all it means to me. Fresh air blowing on my face that got to go outside. Hope Curran's Birthday I can heardly wait to see what he buys. You know burning a whole in his pocket and all.

KASnow said...

Every player that has ever won the Masters has a special story to go along with it. I read an interesting article about several players who came close, but failed. Some chose to ignore the fact that there would be children and a spouse waiting for them at home and tossed them out with their memories of losing the tournament. Others never recovered their ability to play golf at such a high level and faded into obscurity. Immelman may have been an exception to this rule had he let it all go as he almost did on 16 (the bunker shot on 17 and the putt on 11 were probably the most clutch shots he hit on Sunday). Perhaps, his new lease on life would have given him the perspective that others lacked when they crashed and burned at Augusta.

PS I'm going to let "Silent Bob" know that Dro has no problem falling apart on the golf course because he has a wonderful family waiting for him at home. I'm quite certain Silent Bob will be surprised!

PSS The changes to Augusta have taken a certain percentage of the joy out of watching the Masters. Birdies on 13 and 15 are now an exception, not the rule - and eagles are fewer and further between. In past Masters a US Open strategy probably doesn't work and we may have never seen Johnson or Immelman wear the green jacket. The folks of Augusta have, to a degree, taken away from the Masters experience where a 6 stroke lead was not safe on the back 9. Now the leader tries to keep it in play and two putt as he knows that it is almost impossible to catch him.

Christina said...

hmm..interesting that you didnt say "stand a little taller"??? with your height issue & all...

i think im still just trying to put my picture together before i focus?!??!

Greg said...

Nice post. Between this post and the one about Lou Ann you've brought me back. I heard an interview with Immelman on Monday and he said that he did not look at the leaderboard once on Sunday (and that he never looks at the leaderboard on the last day of the tourney). When asked why, he said that he has his plan as to how he wants to play the round and he follows his plan and plays within his own game, regardless of what anyone else is doing. Sometimes it is hard to remember to just do your best and if someone else's best is better than your best on a particular day, then hats off.