Anyway, my increased attention to the NBA can also be credited with the Lakers' sudden turn around. They've struggled for the last few years bowing out in the first round and were on the brink of trading the best player in the NBA last summer; however, as fate would have it....they are now considered by many as the team to beat going into the playoffs. I guess I am like most Laker fans....I don't care about the NBA when they are losing and then jump back on the bandwagon when they are winning. Typical, right?
Personally, I've always claimed there was a conspiracy in the NBA. Their ratings spike when the big market teams are in the finals and also when the most entertaining personalities are there. For a long time, it seemed that some how, some way the most popular team and/or player always made it. Magic and Larry were fixtures throughout the 80s. When Jordan played, he never fouled out of one game after his rookie year and led the Bulls to countless NBA Finals appearances and titles. After Jordan, the Lakers with Shaq and Kobe made their appearances in the Finals (somehow coming back from 20 in the 4th quarter against Portland). And then the last few years, the NBA has struggled in its ratings because it couldn't find a way to get the superstar to advance....and when the referees tried to throw the games, they were caught. (see Tim Donaghy).
Well, guess what....the ratings are back and so is the NBA. Why? Controversial trades to Boston and LA have made many NBA haters into NBA lovers. Everyone always said, "Once the NBA gets back to the NBA of the 80s, I'll come back." How would you make that happen? Make Boston and LA the teams to beat once again. Everyone wins if the ratings spike and everyone is happy. Maybe not Minnesota and Memphis fans but who cares about them anyway?
David Stern...you've done it again. You've pulled a rabbit out of the hat just like you somehow pulled Patrick Ewing to the New York Knicks (ice cold envelope....hint hint). I, just like countless others, have returned with open arms. Am I sucker or what?

If I was a betting man (okay...I admit it, I am), then I would be willing to bet the Lakers and the Celtics make the finals this year....and when that happens, the NBA will be back stronger than ever! I also heard that this might be Stern's last year. He's getting a huge raise to become president and CEO of WWE Raw.......Same job description. :)

2 comments:
Good thing Cort had your back, now I know you were totally safe.
(no offense Cort)
I agree with you Loubige, cort is a total sissy.
The NBA has always been fun to watch for me for some reason even when it might have been very boring to others because of the style of play, etc. I do believe stern has tampered with the playoff games and I was truly pissed last year when Stoudemire was suspended after Horrys hit on Nash. That cost them a championship and had I been a Suns fan I'd never watch another NBA game.
Post a Comment