Followers

Monday, March 31, 2008

What a Weekend!!!!

As noted on a post earlier, one of the best things about Spring is the much-anticipated golf weekend in Palm Springs with 11 of my closest friends. This past weekend was the one we had been looking forward to for about 4 months. Anytime you can get 12 guys together for an extended period of time.....the good, the bad, and the ugly are bound to happen. I will be posting pictures and a slide show in the near future of this awesome weekend but here are some highlights:

THE UGLY:

We played basketball Thursday night at the nearby chapel. Imagine 12 competitive semi-athletic guys ages 28-45 running up and down the court trying to relive their glory days where they dominated other deacons in their ward. The first game was hotly contested with everyone (sort of) running up and down the court. About 5 minutes in: a foul was called, the ball was booted, and an argument ensued. This was a precursor of things to come. No fists went flying but there were definitely scratches and bruises when it was all said and done.

THE BAD:

Golf swings, thrown and broken golf clubs, Mormon curse words, and 8 guys in a Jacuzzi made for 3. Once again, you get 12 competitive guys on a golf course and you are bound to see a side of people you have never seen before. I saw a club broken, another one thrown in the lake, and the words, "I suck" uttered too many times to count. I also saw (in the Jacuzzi) what happens to the male body after being married for a few years. Perhaps I should be talking about this in the "Ugly" section. I have much more respect now for all of our wives........in more ways than one.

THE GOOD:

Watching college hoops, swimming in a heated pool, cards with the tards, and eating homemade Mexican food by Rosy. These are all combined because they all happened Friday night. Some enjoyed the great tastes of Ruth's Chris Steakhouse but the poor people proceeded to the "Resort" for some cheaper entertainment. I must say...it was well worth the money.

The Classic Club on Saturday for 36 holes. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Course conditions were more than perfect for our morning round. I don't remember playing on a day and on a course that was better than that Saturday morning. The wind picked up a little on our afternoon round but still didn't deter my mood. My foursome with Chaddy, Blove, and Kelly was ideal. Sarcasm, innuendos, and Kelly's reactions were "classic." Plus we all played well which definitely helps.

Camaraderie. Nothing better than the camaraderie that goes along with these tournaments. Friendships are always formed and strengthened which makes winning secondary. Of course it's always nice to get some money coming back BUT no amount of money can be spent to substitute for the laughs, the bonding, the camaraderie, and the nakedness that is present on these weekends.


A SPECIAL THANK YOU GOES OUT TO:

Mom and Dad Hendrickson for opening up their home and allowing us to crash at "The Resort." Not only were we allowed to sleep in a comfortable environment but we used the pool, jacuzzi, watched college hoops on a 70 inch TV, and ate homemade Mexican food. My parents are DA BOMB and I cannot thank them enough for 20 years of opening their home to me and my friends.

THANKS AGAIN MOM AND DAD. It wasn't the first time and most likely will not be the last. :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks to the Hendrickson Family for allowing 12 rowdy guys to hang out and watch basketball games and ravage through any food in sight.

The golf trip was awesome, I can't wait for the next one.

Thx for setting it up dro and congrats for winning it.

Anonymous said...

Rosie's Mexican food was the best, especially those chips, way better than anything Ruth Chris can do. Actually I enjoyed the hot tub, there was just the right amount of room for all of us.

I too want to thank the parents of Dro for their hospitality and for the place to stay. It was much better than any resort I have ever been to. It was great to see Ricky as well.

Christina said...

that thought of 12 MEN in a 3 person hot tub is scary side...how did all those ego's fit in there anyway?!?!

married men bodies--HELLO married women bodies that have popped out HUMAN BEINGS--and not just ONCE! SEVERAL TIMES OVER!!!

does this mean the next girls weekend is with dr. rey in bev hills??? im SO game if it is--louann-put it together and sign me up!!!

Kristen said...

Hey Jon..it's Kristen, I just have to say I love your blog! I have been a lurker for a couple weeks now...but decided to come out and comment :) HA!
You are such a great writer, you crack me up..
Glad you guys had a blast and that Todd was able to join in on the fun. I so wish I could be a fly on the wall when all you guys get together.
Loved hearing about the good, the bad, and the ugly..hilarious!!

Dro said...

Christina...believe me, after seeing the mid to late 30s male body, you would think it was the husband that popped out the babies. Some of us need to enter the same contest you guys had about a year ago.

Kristen...great to hear from you! You never know who's lurking or even if there are lurkers. I'm not sure you would want to be a fly on the wall. Some things are better left unsaid and unseen...if you know what I mean. :)

maines said...

Coming from a fly on the other side of a thin sliding glass door at 1 in the morning while 8 pasty white bodies snuggle in the hot tub- it's really not that exciting. Honestly though, I was very impressed with how neat, tidy, and well behaved everyone was. Your wives would be proud. Honestly, I wouldn't have even known you were there if all the mexican food wasn't gone the next morning and Cort didn't have the polaroid proof...some serious black mail for the future.