One of the reasons I love teaching is the opportunity to have class discussions with my students. This year I have some interesting ones with my seniors. They love to talk and I've found that if I can somehow create an intriguing topic connecting the literature to their lives, the class comes alive with everyone willing to share their personal opinions even though (at times) they are outrageous.
A few weeks ago, for example, I was actually getting observed by the principal and a class discussion broke out. We were in the process of reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen which focuses on relationships, marriage, etc. Anyway, my question to the class was: Why do people get married and is it different now then back in the 1800s?
At first I thought that this wouldn't generate too much excitement but 40 minutes later we were still talking about it and the students' responses were pretty good even with the principal in the room.
Anyway, I thought you might enjoy some of their responses....
"Back then people got married for love whereas today they get married just because it's the thing to do....they know that if things go awry, they can just get divorced."
"Marriage is not as special anymore. 50% of all marriages end in divorce so most couples don't believe they will be with each other for the rest of their lives; therefore, it is just a fun thing to do."
"Most people get married for security. They don't want to be old maids."
"The only reason to get married is if you want to start a family."
"People don't get married today because there's really no reason for it. We can just live with the person we are attracted to whereas back then, it was considered taboo."
This response of course took us on a tangent. Next question: Why is our society today okay with couples living together and not being married?
"The media has made sex an accepted practice and therefore we don't need to be married anymore to have sex."
"We know more about sex due to the media, etc. so we know the rewards and the potential consequences."
(Sidenote: They couldn't believe that both my wife and I waited til we were married to have sex but I think they were even more floored when I told them I had never tasted alcohol. That was a different discussion on a different day though).
Next question: Do you think that our society has made a turn for the worse when it comes to morals?
"Of course but we like it that way."
"No, not really. We are just more aware of what people are doing wrong thanks to the media coverage."
"Our morals might be worse but that doesn't mean we are worse people."
"Depends on your definition of morals."
Anyway, just thought I'd share with you what I get to do for a living. It's pretty fun when the class gets involved and hands are shooting up all over the classroom.
You might be asking yourself, "Can he really talk about this stuff in school?" Answer: I hope so. The principal was there the whole time and looked thoroughly entertained. I got a good grade on my observation that day as well so hopefully I get rehired next year.
If not....you know why. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
My favorite is "Our morals might be worse but that doesn't mean we are worse people." I wish I knew the logic behind that remark. You have a great job. So when your casino reality show takes off and you are stinkin' rich, will you still teach just to keep it real?
It's funny they said in the 1800s people got married for love. They obviously need to brush up a bit on Victorian society, where people more often than not married for money and prestige. Some things haven't really changed that much in the last 100 years plus.
What's ironic is that Jane Austen would've fit in perfectly in our society. She never married and often mocked those who did. Her characters in Pride and Prejudice all get married for different reasons:
Elizabeth and Darcy = love
Charlotte and Collins = security
Mr. and Mrs. Bennet = prestige
Lydia and Wickham = lust
I guess you are right Blaise...nothing has changed much in the last 100 years as (even today) people still marry for those same reasons.
I guess it's obvious what I married for...do I even need to say?
Prestige--with security a close second. :-)
P.S. what the crap should I think about that cartoon picture?!?! Are you trying to tell me something?!
You see...I thought we got married for "lust" but I quickly realized I was wrong...thus the cartoon picture. :)
Post a Comment