I know I've already broached this subject a few posts ago with my thoughts on Grisham but I never really got to the core of my thoughts on literature. Mostly I read just to be entertained. If I need a break from the monotony of life or if I just need to chill out, there's nothing I like better than to get in comfortable clother, go under the covers, and read a "good book." Of course, many people have different definitions to the word, "good." To me, it means: worth the time. If I'm going to spend my "alone time" reading, then it better be worth it. That's why when I find an author I like, I immediately gobble up all his books and get ready to be entertained.
Anyway, back to my original question: Which out of the hundreds of books I've read is my "all time favorite."
Answer: Beach Music by Pat Conroy.
Always the next question is (of course) why? What could make Beach Music rank #1 in your mind?
Answer: It is a novel that concerns itself with the acquisition of self-knowledge through eternal friendships. The books covers themes such as: relationships, importance of family, religion, politics, and faith. "It is about the eternal quest for forgiveness--seeking it in others, finding it in ourselves--so that we can begin to live again." It also covers many generations and takes you back to The Holocaust and The Vietnam War. "Ultimately, it is about reclaiming the past in order to prepare a background on the canvas of the future from which hope can finally flourish."
There is also a lot of dry humor/sarcasm which of course I can't get enough of as my constant need for Seinfeld re-runs dictates; however, one of the main ideas I liked about Beach Music was that the main character does a lot of soul searching and eventually realizes that it is the relationships that he has formed with his brothers (he was the oldest of 5) and his close friends that shaped him for who he is today. Through his in-depth analysis of these friendships, he eventually finds the answers he seeks.
Maybe (at times) I see myself in Jack McCall. Maybe I was just in a certain mood as I read the book. Maybe it's because I laughed and cried on many a different occasion. Or maybe it's because it's got "beach" in the title. Who knows?
But for now, my answer to the question: "What's your favorite book of all time?" will be.......BEACH MUSIC by Pat Conroy.


3 comments:
I'll try to read Beach Music and let you know what I think. Right now I would have to say my favorite novel is a book entitled "Andamios" which recounts in prose, poems and letters the return of an exiled Uruguayan to his home country. Don Qijote is not bad either.
Dro, my favorite book is Anna Karenina by Tolstoy. The character of Levin is the most interesting character in all of literature to me. His dynamic growth pretty much covers the entirety of meaningful human existence.
I went on vacation with my family and have so far read 1/3 of Beach Music. OMGoodness!!! It is so engaging. I rarely read because I usually get through the 3rd chapter and am not at all caught up in it yet. But this book had me from the prologue. Don't tell me what happens! But thanks for the suggestion.
Post a Comment