RECAP:
One of my seniors has been missing class, assignments, and tests all semester. She has a 42% and needed a strong B or an A on the final to graduate. She truly believes that when push comes to shove, she is "entitled" to graduate and that no first year teacher is going to stand in her way.
One of my seniors has been missing class, assignments, and tests all semester. She has a 42% and needed a strong B or an A on the final to graduate. She truly believes that when push comes to shove, she is "entitled" to graduate and that no first year teacher is going to stand in her way.
Anyway, I gave the seniors their final yesterday. It included 78 multiple choice questions and 2 essay prompts. I haven't had a chance to grade her essays; however, I did grade the multiple choice portion. Believe it or not, she did pretty good (for her anyway). She got 54 out of 78 correct which comes out to a C. I was shocked but also a little scared. If she did decently on her essays then she might get up to a 58% and then I would be faced with a tough decision. (Quick, ask yourself, What would you do?)
As I was pondering the answer to that question, I decided to compare her test to another a student's: One who sat next to her throughout the final. Guess what? Yep.......90% of her answers were EXACTLY the same!
Problem solved, right? I had proof that she cheated. She wasn't going to graduate. The next step was a tough one. I took her test and the other student's and showed them to her counselor and the assistant principal. I told them her background, much of which they already knew. (sidenote: earlier in the year, she had been arrested for a DUI and they were aware of this as well). They concurred that she would not be able to graduate and had me call her father right then and there. (Not a phone call I was looking forward to). But I called, explained to him what had happened, and asked him to bring his daughter to a meeting this morning where everything would be explained in more detail.
Keep in mind that this isn't some regular town. This is Laguna Beach where parents and their children are used to getting their way. They are powerful, rich people who think that even when they go #2, it doesn't stink.
Well, we had the meeting this morning. I explained what had happened, showed them the test, and said (with all due respect) that she had cheated and therefore would fail my class and not be able to graduate. (I figured if I said, "with all due respect" that I then could say whatever I wanted and it would be okay...but maybe her father hadn't seen "Taladega Nights").
She denied it. Said she studied all night, which her father mentioned as well. She said she didn't know how or why the answers were the same. The meeting lasted 30 minutes. We went back and forth. They asked if they could take the test over. I said, "No." They asked for extra credit. I said, "No." Dad mentioned that she would be the first in their long family line not to graduate and if there was anything "we" could do, he would appreciate it.
Talk about pressure. Here I am this punk, 36 year old, first year teacher at the school, standing up against tradition, a family's lineage, and the history of Laguna Beach High School. Not too many here at this school (if any) fail and don't get to graduate.
So how does it end? I don't know. I told them she was going to fail my class and she will. From my end, she will not walk next week with her friends and classmates. BUT, will she? One would like to believe that the "buck stops here" but one is not so ignorant and naive.
Let's just put it this way, I won't be surprised if I hear her name announced from the podium next week, see her walk up, get handed her diploma, smile at me, and give me a little wink.
I'll let you know.....



13 comments:
Wow, that's some serious drama. Hopefully your superiors will stand as true to what's right as you did.
She walks. (even though she shouldn't--would they maybe let her walk and then make her take summer school? Just curious)
Dude, here was your chance to set up your family for life, or at least get enough money to pay a few months of the mortgage in Riverside. How much would he pay to see his daughter pass your class and graduate?
Good job Dro, you made the right decision. Me, I think I would have given some extra credit for her to do and a few rounds at the country club from the father.
You know she got the crap beat out of her at home for disappointing her father and embarrassing the family.
I don't think she'll give you a wink, I think she'll walk and give you the finger bro!
Finger, definitely finger.
Ojo, how well connected is the family to the school board?
How many other kids cheated on the test that you don't know about? Did you see her cheat? what if the kid next to her looked at her test and marked 90% of her answers? :). It is a tough call Dro but I guess you gotta do what you feel is right.
I would fail her because she is not smart enough to watch 'Spies Like Us' and learn the right way to cheat on a test.
I am curious though how she did on the essays and if she hadn't 'allegedly' cheated, how close she was to a passing grade.
Wow, what a story! That is such a hard situation to be in...I think you did the right thing.
All right. I'm so proud of The Teacher Man. You've done a lot with those 36 years and my advice is to keep it up because when I was 31 someone could have said to me, "hey half your life might be over". But I would havd said no then and now BUT you never know and it's never too soon to do the right thing.
interesting...i would think she'll graduate and probably have to take some summer school class---
thats gotta be SO frustrating to see a student slide thru your class like that and then pull the "i studied all night" card..
The only problem with failing her for cheating is that it's easier for the girl and her parents to place the blame on you - 'cause it's hard to proove that someone cheated.
You should have given her the double whammy: "You cheated on your test, and you still didn't get a passing grade."
I'd be surprised if this is over. Kids will talk, parents will talk, and you'll hear more about this. I'd expect at least one of her friends to do some sort of 'protest.'
too bad you didn't have the crawdog at this meeting. we would have had that yahoo and his little beeatch daughter sniveling like an angel fan after a loss to the dodgers. I agree w/ noodles--this was your chance to hit the lotto.
You do have a price, right? We'd all like to know what that is.
the dog
Post a Comment