Followers

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Reality Shows: Love em or Leave em?

This is a very curious question to me. Answers may vary depending on one thing: Can it be an anonymous response? If not, most people will emphatically say, "LEAVE EM!" If able to answer anonymously, most people will quietly say, "LOVE EM."

Since the inception of "reality shows" we have seen a HUGE gravity pull from the general public to the boob tube. "Survivor" I believe, was the first to hit the set and many were attracted to the show's concept of "outplaying, outwitting, and outlasting" your opponent. Those who were honest and true to themselves and others were quickly eliminated while those who cheated, lied, and formed alliances lasted the longest and were the most successful. (metaphor for life? Maybe).

Anyway, it was at this juncture in our TV lives that it was "cool" to watch "Survivor." It was new. It was fresh. And it was good water-cooler fodder.

But like most things in life, things that are new and fresh sooner or later become old and rotten. (No offense to the "more mature" people that read this blog). :)

What usually happens is that when something is exciting and popular, it becomes overused, overdone, and overplayed. There is an imaginary pendulum that swings in the air and therefore, instead of being "cool" because you watch the show, you are now considered a "loser" with nothing better to do.

Imagine this scene four years ago: You walk up to the water cooler and there are others standing around talking about certain events and you say, "You guys see "Survivor" last night. Isn't Rob and Amber the perfect couple?" Everyone nods their head in agreement, slaps you on the back, and all of sudden you are leading the discussion. In essence, you are "cool."

Now four years later, same thing happens. You go and get some water. Same people are there from before and you throw out this beauty, "You guys see "The Bachelorette" last night. I can't believe she cut Graham." Everyone furrows their brow, turns their back to you, and all of a sudden you are shuffling back to your desk wondering what happened. In essence, you are a "fool."

But here's the whole point and what you have to realize: Those same people that "furrowed their brow" and looked at you like a "loser" are also watching the show and deep down, they really wanted to discuss it with you. However, the pendulum had already swung. It is now taboo to discuss reality shows openly in a public setting. Everyone thinks you have nothing better to do with your time and therefore labels you accordingly BUT the underlying secret is that most people are still watching in the privacy of their homes.

How do I know this?

See my last blog post. I got the most comments I've ever gotten throughout my 6 months of blogging. People are still interested, they are just not "publicly" confident to show that interest.

I make a plea to all of you: Let it go. Shed the label. Swing the pendulum back and make it "water cooler" cool again. Be confident in yourself and others will be drawn out as well.

You know you all watch them. You know you all love them. It's time to publicly admit it. Don't "cheat, lie, and form anti-reality show alliances" but instead be "honest and true to yourself and others" and together we will be the last ones standing on the island.

Let me be the first to say it:

My name is DRO and I LOVE watching "The Bachelorette!"

19 comments:

loubige said...

My name is Lou, I watch the Bachelorette because my husband LOVES watching the Bachelorette.

However I do like other reality shows--I will admit it. :-)

P.S. I personally feel that MTV's The Real World was the show that started the "reality t.v." craze of today, survivor was a close 2nd.

KASnow said...

The comments have doubled primarily due to gender, not your imagined world of reality TV watchers. Very few women have commented on your sports blogs, whereas a lot of women appear to enjoy the bachelorette. Next time you are hanging by the water cooler with a number of women you could probably get a lunch date by mentioning your Bachelorette fixation, but don't expect a lot of guys to jump into the conversation because they just don't watch it the way you think they do. I don't always agree with Chad, but this time (if you read his last post on the Bachelorette posting) I think he is correct, not, of course, that there is anything wrong with that.

Dro said...

Alas, another "Seinfeld" reference. That show never gets old and the pendulum (hopefully) will never swing the other way.

Speaking of "swinging the other way".....nevermind.

Jen said...

My name is Jen and I love reality T.V. I have watched many seasons of the Bachelor, but must have given it up when it's schedule conflicted with another of my reality shows. Nobody wants sitcoms, we want to see real people....the ones we love and especially the ones we hate.

And haven't you said before that sports is the ultimate, original reality t.v. If you have, you are right, if you haven't, you should have.

I am going to take a wild guess and predict that the on the next episode of the Bachelorette, they will have "The most dramatic rose ceremony ever!"

Anonymous said...

I love watching reality TV, just not the Bachelor or Bachelorette. That show got old a long time ago, if I wanted to watch people get drunk and talk crap about each other I will watch Rock of Love, now that show is cool. Not really, I just watch it for the scantily clad women.

tracy said...

Dro, Russell again, someday I will get my own blog so I can post under my own name. I'm with you on this one and I have never been afraid to admit it. But then again I am very comfortable with my sexuality unlike Chad who has to say those things to appear masculine to his friends. In reality he watches with Heather every Monday like the rest of us.
Do any of you watch "So You Think You Can Dance?" Noodles, talk about scantily clad women. Did you see those (half) dresses last night? WOW

loubige said...

Yes Russell, I watch SYTYCD....still haven't watched last nights episode yet. I'm not into this seasons like I was last season--has this show "jumped the shark" you think? And I'm starting to get annoyed with how cool the choreographers think they are, they all think they're the sh**.

RUSSELL said...

Yeah Lou, I know what you mean. But this year has got some great humble dancers like Will, Joshua, and Twitch. Also I am in love with Kherrington and Chelsea. Oh yeah I just made my own blog so I dont have to post under Tracy's name.

Hans said...

As it may come as no surprise my favorite reality show is Top Chef followed by The Ultimate Fighter. For my softer side I also watch So You Think You Can Dance with my wife. I also watch AI , but will deny it when confronted. Shows I've watched for one season, but no more are: Flavor of Love, Rock of Love, Design Star. Once in awhile I'll watch The Real World with my wife and we always look out for the Real World Road Rules Challenges. It's always fun to see what those idiots will do for money.

maines said...

Lou, did I discuss SYTYCD with you? That is totally what I think about it this year too and have told Cort that a couple of times. It's lost it's flavor and totally is all about the choreographers trying too hard. I hate their little phony close ups when the judges say something lame like how genius they are. Blech. The reality shows are actually starting to wear on me a bit. Except for Bravo. You know I will watch anything that channel puts on. Right now I'm loving "Flipping Out". And Jen, that was Cort that said the thing about sports being the first reality tv.

Hans said...

I agree with Lou also. The choreographers on SYTYCD think that the show is about them. Mia Michaels and her dancing are ridiculous (i. e. hand snake). She needs to get a grip. The other judges always say "I can't tell if they are doing it right" during her routines (totally subjective). For those that watch, Do you think the judges this season have been very careful to compliment the choreographers? I think it's because Wade Robson almost left the show last year when people were offended by his "Peace" dance routine and Nigel had to later apologized for it. My wife and I try to guess who choreographed the opening segment. Robson uses the "Thriller" move in every routine and Mia Michael's hand snake is a dead give away

loubige said...

Yah, there are definite give aways with certain choreographers. (and yes Hans, Wade needs to GIVE UP the thriller move already!!!) I have also noticed that they ALWAYS compliment them and if they didn't like it they have never said they disliked the choreography they just don't say anything about it.(especially Mia Michaels, they NEVER rip on her--that chick dishes it out but she can't take it coming the other way) So PC.

Maines....you and I did have a conversation about the big headed choreograpers......I have Flipping Out DVR'd haven't watched them yet--is the guy just as psycho as ever? So funny.

Christina said...

my name is christina and im a reality show junkie for sure..sad i know..here's my list:
lohans, workout, housewives of OC, housewives of NY, denise richards, Runs house, whose wedding is it anyway, rock of love (only the 1st season-the 2nd season DANG too much for me! so i stopped), bachelor, bachelorette ALL SEASONS, AI, DWTS, MTV made, my sweet sixteen, keeping up with the kardashians-seriously i could keep going...but i'll stop-i would say i dont dvr all these, but if they are on tv when im watching those are the ones i get sucked right into..

i have to laugh because celesta has alot of these being recorded on different tvs-so whenever sheldon goes to turn on the tv SOME SHOW (reality) is being recorded so he cant watch tv EVER!! he jokes with her "hello-you're not in HS anymore!"

the other shows i watch are 30 rock, the office & greys anatomy-thur night tv ROCKS!

maines said...

SYTYD discussion continues-
What do you guys think about last night's results? Ghetto Comfort SOOO needs to go and I don't think I can take another week looking at Thanes "bandaid smile". What a weirdy. I don't know what is up with the judges. And as for the choreographers, I feel like they are all just trying to out-weird eachother. Exception would be the new hip-hop duo who's routine with Chelsea and crooked pinkies I LOVED. In fact, they are definately my favorite couple right now. Chelsea and pinkies, that is.

maines said...

Ha ha ha...hand snake. You kill me Hans! Really, we MUST be friends!

Hans said...

Mia Michael's opening routine last night made me want to find my "happy place", very wierd. Yes, Comfort needs to go, she's not even that good in her own style. Chelsea was eliminated because Nigel got a call from Oprah and she wanted her wig back. Jon, this blog you started was the best idea ever :)

loubige said...

I'm liking Chelsea and pinky boy as well. (good number---I agree, that new duo choreographing team seems cool) I also like Twitch and Kerrington. And I really enjoyed butt-cheeks Joshua and sexy asian chick's dance last night they did a really good job so we'll see if they become favorites.

Prediction--Comfort and Band-Aid Boy are gone next week(they should be!)....then it seems to me that the dancers left are at a higher caliber when it comes to dance 'performance'.

Dro said...

Hans, what are you talking about?!?!? I thought my "best idea ever" was the "Stranded Marines" game we used to play our freshman year.

How quickly we forget... :)

Hans said...

Freshman year? What about last year? How quickly you forget :)