Followers

Sunday, June 1, 2008

LOST Finale!!!!


As the old timers of this blog know, I am a big "Lost" fan and look forward to it every week. I am intrigued with the concept of the show and think there is a lot of symbolism and it is up to each individual viewer to figure out what the symbols mean to them. Each week presents new problems to figure out as some old ones are solved and others leave the viewer hanging. I believe the producers have done a masterful job of creating a timeline from which there is no beginning and no end and therefore each week they are free to jump ahead in time and/or go back. Definitely a show well worth the hour (well 40 minutes if you have DVR).


Anyway, a few days ago, it was the season's finale. Usually finales are BIG letdowns. They build them up and you get pumped to watch all week and then a few hours later you are left with an open mouth, a furrowed brow, and a "that's it?" expression on your face; however, with "Lost," this was not the case. I can honestly say this was the best season finale I have ever witnessed. It answered many questions (even from seasons past) and also left us with a few problems unsolved; thus, we are eager for next season to begin.

Okay, if any of you watch and have been avid supporters of "Lost," I am eager to hear your opinions about the island and what it all means. Here are mine:

I see the island as the "spirit world" drawn from the Mormon concept. I am convinced that one of the writers is Mormon and has thrown some of his ideas into the mix. The Mormon "spirit world" is sort of a waiting place where good and bad people live. It is divided into two parts: Paradise and Prison.

"In the Spirit World those in paradise experience happiness and peace, and are free from trouble, sorrow, and pain. They continue to associate in family relationships and engage in worthwhile activities. The spirits in prison are those who, for whatever reason, did not accept the gospel while on the earth. They cannot partake of the blessings received in paradise nor are they allowed to enter it. In this sense, it is considered a prison. However, those who never had the opportunity to hear the gospel during their earthly life will be given this chance while in spirit prison" (lds.about.com).

Okay, now fit those on the island into this concept. There are good people and bad people. There are those who "associate in family relationships and engage in worthwhile activities" and there are those who aren't free to see certain parts of the island. Also, miracles happen on the island almost each and every week (ie John Locke when arriving on the island is now able to walk, etc.) I also believe that there are some in the spirit world who are free to come and go but also know that being on the island (or spirit world) is better than any other place (like Earth). This character is obviously Ben but he sacrifices that role in the finale (by moving the island) and turning it over to Locke. Then there's the mysterious Jacob who goes unseen yet is the "supreme ruler" that helps Ben and now Locke decide what is best for the people on the island.

There are always those who think they know what is best but do not have all the knowledge but are continually searching for it. Jack fits this role. He leads in the way he thinks is best but (as the finale seems to suggest) now realizes that he made a mistake and yearns to go back. It appears that Locke was able to leave the island (just like Ben was able to) and in my opinion has turned over the keys of the islands' mysteries to Jack.

Jack now needs to convince the other five that they need to go back so that they can live in "paradise" with all the knowledge that they now or will soon possess. You see, they need to go back and visit those in the "spirit prison" and try and convince them that they were wrong before but now know where true happiness can be found.

Granted there are probably many holes in my theory and I could go on and on BUT that is the whole point. The show can touch us on so many levels and if we allow the symbolism to sink in, we just might be able to use a 60 minute TV show to help us in our busy life.

Are you someone who thinks you have all the answers and try and lead others by yourself (Jack)or are you someone who knows you don't have all the answers and therefore have to and need to ask an unseen being (Jacob/Heavenly Father) to help you answer some of those questions? (Locke)

Okay....since it is the Sabbath Day, I feel like I need a scripture to back up my point so here goes:

In the Book of Mormon the prophet Alma said:
"The spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow."And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of the wicked, yea, who are evil—for behold, they have no part nor portion of the Spirit of the Lord; for behold, they chose evil works rather than good... these shall be cast out into outer darkness; there shall be weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth, and this because of their own iniquity, being led captive by the will of the devil." (Alma 40: 12-13)


I choose paradise.......sounds A LOT more appealing.

5 comments:

Christina said...

okay 1st about your prom post-it seems pretty true about everyone...i did go to my prom..his name was jake-lets just say lots of macking, him getting red eyes from too many brown bottles, resulting in myself driving his car to my house, followed by me ACCIdENTALLY hitting a police car (my 1st time using a stick shift! OOPS!) its certainly a Prom i'll "never forget" for too many reasons..

onto lost--we just havent gotten into that show..we need to just get the dvds & watch it that way back to back..

i was hoping for a bachelorette review from you!? are you watching?!?!? cuz i KNOW you are!

Hans said...

Dro I like to your analysis of Lost. I'm a big fan and it seems to fit. I've stopped trying to guess what it's all about because it would drive me crazy. I just watch the show, try to be as observant as possible, and try not to ask too many questions. My DVR cut off the last 30 minutes of the finale, but I caught it on-line the next day. It was excruciatingly painful having to wait. I liked the finale, but I thought it could have been a little bit more suspenseful. Personally I think the writers make up story from week to week. The writers don't really know where they are going with it. The show is so different from the first 2 seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if the writers were completely different from the original seasons. For instance, the first 2 seasons concentrated so much on the Others, the Black Smoke, and The Dharma Initiative stations. This season I think the writers forgot what those things were. Those parts of the story were so ignored during this season they seemed unimportant. And when they reappeared it was kind of strange. Anyway I still enjoy the show and will continue to watch. Dro your Mormon spin on the show brings up another topic. I always found it funny how Mormons perceive (some true, some not true) how our religion has influenced things like pop culture.

Hell said...

Dro, wasn't Yoda modeled after Spencer W. Kimball? If so, then I will believe the Mormon Lost writer theory. Isn't Oprah secretly Mormon but will lose her audience if she announces it?

Lost is the greatest show ever. Its probably the only show that I look forward to watching. Beautifully written and executed each season. I agree with Hans that they definitely changed the focus of the plot but they keep you on the edge of your seat with each episode.
With that said, I thought they went a little too far in the season finale with the time machine and the moving of the island. The time machine turning wheel was a little hokie, but I forgive them, because the rest of the show was great and helped wrap up the whole season nicely. But it also leaves a lot of mysteries to be solved, such as:
- Who is the redhead chick and how was she previously on the island?
- Why doesn't Hurley lose more weight with limited food on the island?
- Why does Richard not age, ever? Is he one of the three Nephites?
- Are their any auditions to play Kate's former boyfriend in a future episode?
Mark aka Hell

loubige said...

If there are any auditions for THAT Mark, Jon will be the first to know and the last to tell you. :-)

Hans said...

Here is something I don't understand about LOST. In the first season The Others were a bunch of grungy looking people that ran around the jungle in their bare feet, had scraggly beards, never showered. All of a sudden they live in houses in this community, with running water, and have book clubs. It turns out that Mr. Happy's beard was fake. Why did he need a fake beard? So no one would recognize him? In their community they wear normal clothes, but in the jungle they wear these brown highwater pants, hemp shirts and no shoes. It's obvious to me that the writers or producers completely changed the way they wanted to portray them. Don't get me wrong I love the show, but it just doesn't make sense. I still haven't counted out the possibility that there is some rational explanation for why they would do that, so I continue to watch waiting patiently.