I admit it, I think of females. I probably have heard this cliche muttered a thousand times in my life and yet every time I hear it, I think of outward appearance vs. inward. Basically what the person mutters it is trying to convey is that, "Ugly things can be beautiful too."

However, over the weekend, I have finally come to understand the true meaning of what this cliche means.
The PGA Tour plays 4 Majors every year. Basically 4 tournaments that are BIGGER than the rest. They are considered golf's "holy grail." If you play in at least one throughout your career, you are da man. If you win one, well then...you are really da man. And if you happen to win more than one, then you are approaching god status. (Tiger has won 14 of them, so what does that make him?)
However, most of us don't even get the opportunity to attend a Major, much less play in one. For whatever reason be it money, time, location, etc. we just don't make it a priority to buy a ticket and attend the event. We think to ourselves, "I can watch it on TV, I don't have time anyway, it's too expensive, I don't want to battle the crowds, etc."
After this weekend, I'll never make that mistake again!
But here's the point to my whole post. I went on Saturday because the U.S. Open was being played down in Torrey Pines for the first time ever. San Diego is about an hour away and my dad (being the greatest dad in the world) bought tickets. I got there around 11 am but due to having to be back by 5 pm, I had to leave earlier than I wanted. I walked around, followed a few players (Mickelson and Scott), sat on hole #1 and watched others tee off, bought some souvenirs, and then headed home.

It was fun but I was disappointed. Disappointed that I had to leave early. Disappointed that I missed my friends and our rendezvous time. Disappointed that I didn't get to see Tiger. And basically thinking, "This was kinda a waste of time and money."
I then talked to my friends that night on the phone who were also there. They had driven a long distance and were basically there all day. One of my friends saw almost every shot Tiger hit and he told me, "I basically sprinted 18 holes today Dro but it was the greatest sporting event I have ever attended." My other friend then told me, "Dude, we were right next to the 13th green when Tiger drained his 60 footer for eagle. It was so awesome to be there!"
Okay, refer back to the title of this post and maybe you can see where I am going. How many times in your life have you seen the "ugly" while others have seen the "beauty?" How many times have you muttered, "this sucks" while others have said, "this rocks?" How many people have you met and came away thinking, "he or she's a jerk" while someone else thinks "he or she's da bomb?" How about when you visit some place or move somewhere and say to everyone who will listen, "there's nothing to do here" while those same people are thinking, "this is the greatest city in the world."
After talking to my friends on Saturday night, I thought about this the whole day Sunday and was internally struggling with this concept. I was bummed but then all of a sudden....I had an "AH HA" moment. You know those times when you finally understand something. When you finally just "get it" and want to jump in high in air and scream..... "AH HA!"
You see, I realize that I BLEW IT. It was all me. I had a chance to make something ordinary....extraordinary. I had a chance to attend the US Open and make it a memorable experience and yet, I didn't. Sure it was fun to follow the players and watch them play but I could've, "sprinted 18 holes." I could've, "watched Tiger drain a 60 foot eagle." It could've been, "the greatest sporting event I have ever attended" and yet I BLEW IT.
How many times have we "blown it" in our lives? How many times have we had the opportunity to get to know a person, a city, a ward, a school, an event, etc. and yet meandered around, feeling sorry for ourselves, and muttering, "This sucks. I wish I was.....(fill in the blank)."
Beauty is "truly" in the Eye of the Beholder. You see, life's experiences are what make us who we are. We are the ones that create those experiences. We are the ones that can shape those people, cities, wards, schools, and events to how we want them to be. Sure, everything can "suck" in life but everything can also be the "GREATEST.....(fill in the blank)."
Okay...end of the story. Most of the time we don't get a second chance in life. Most of the time after we have our "AH HA" moment, we don't get to go back; we just have to learn our lesson and move on. BUT, as is the joke with my friends and family, I once again got the "lucky bounce."
On Sunday, Tiger Woods made a birdie on 18 to force an 18 hole playoff to be played on Monday the next day. As the putt goes in the hole, my dad turns to me and says, "You know, we have four tickets for tomorrow's round. Maybe you should go." (You could say that my reaction was similar to the picture below).

I could not believe my ears. I could not believe what I was hearing. I had an immediate chance to make up for my mistake and make this event "AWESOME!" I immediately called in sick for work. I made plans to get there early and stay there late. And then my brother (Jeff) and my brother-in-law (Cort) headed down to San Diego at 6:30 am the next morning.
To make a long story short....I sprinted here and there. I stood right next to tee boxes and talked to the players. The Greek God (Tiger Woods) stood right next to me. I sat in the stands and yelled "Get in the hole." I told Rocco Mediate that he "had Tiger right where he wanted him" and Rocco looked at me and said, "Yea right. I got him right where I want him?" I snuck my way onto a platform (high above the crowd) and watched Tiger birdie 18 once again. I not only was there...BUT, I "experienced" the US Open and it was (in my eyes), truly....."BEAUTIFUL!!!!!"

8 comments:
Dro,
I thought that phrase was made up to make ugly girls feel good about themselves : ) Seriously though, I don't think I have ever understood that saying before. I think I had finally settled on "Your face is ugly, but you have nice eyes." Your explanation makes much more sense! That is awesome that you got the chance to redeem yourself. I am truly envious. Watching this U.S. Open on TV was awesome, being there and taking advantage of the moment must defy all description. Just promise you won't streak the Super Bowl.
Two observations:
1. At my age I would have probably treasured the time with my father doing something we both loved more than I would have treasured the time with Tiger and Rocco.
2. When opportunity knocks (or an Ah Hah moment occurs), quickly fabricate an illness and follow you heart. I will remember that next time I'm employed by the State or other public agency.
Did the tournament have a sweet spirit? (My mom, "You'll really like this girl. She has such a sweet spirit!")
Good to hear you siezed opportunity number two.
Great post Dro. I'm a little "misty." Very well done and I'm happy you had a great time on Monday. I was with you in spirit. -Pete
If your father wasn't there, you should have streaked!
Kyle, unfortunately my dad couldn't go due to other obligations but we have spent a lot of quality time together: (I think I've attended at least 10 Angel games with him already this year).
Pete, thanks for helping me understand. It was hearing the joy and excitement in yours and Blaise's voices that changed my outlook.
Hans, I had that thought on the #2 hole as Tiger was preparing to tee off. I even said to my brother, "what happens if I streak across the tee box right now?"
Crazy what goes through your mind during those moments....
I was there on Thursday and I must say I had more fun talking with my friends and checking baseball scores than watching Tiger, Phillip and that one euro. The crowds are so thick that it's nearly impossible to get a decent view. I watched them play 3 holes and I think I caught a glimpse of Tiger one time, but then it turned out to be just one of the other million african american spectators who was following Tiger around wearing the Nike golf shirt and the TW golf cap. I got screwed!!
I guess if I were 3 feet 9 inches like you I could have just walked under everyones legs til I got to the front row like you did, I'm sure my experience would have been a little better.
Dro, great post. Yes, it was definitely worth it. When I was there Saturday with Pete and two of his friends it readily became apparent to me either I was going to stay with the three of them and catch a few glimpses of Tiger here and there or I was going to seize the moment by sprinting from one shot to the next to get a good view to see all of Tiger's putts and key shots into the green. I'm so glad I opted for the latter. That really was the time of my life. I'm glad you got to go Monday. I'm definitely envious. I just hope Tiger's knee will heal so there will be many more opportunities like this. St. Andrews in 2010 could be THE golf event of the century. That's when I predict Tiger either ties or passes Jack (if his knee will heal enough for him to keep playing).
Blaise
Post a Comment