Followers

Friday, June 20, 2008

Did She Walk????

If you've read the blog this past week, you know that I had a little dilemma with a senior who failed my class. After numerous opportunities to pass and catching her cheating a few different times, she finally drew her last straw and the camel's back broke. (I'm guessing she probably smoked the last straw but that's a different story).

Anyway, I digress.

Yesterday was graduation for all seniors who had actually passed their classes. It was a great event held at The Pageant of the Masters forum theatre. When the seniors accepted their diploma, they actually showed a picture of them when they were babies up on the big screen behind the podium. A special time for them and their parents.

Many of you believed that power and prestige would rule over honesty and hard work. Fortunately for Laguna Beach and its reputation, the administration didn't give in to the pressure of the hierarchy: The girl DID NOT walk with her classmates. She was in attendance but was not able to be a part of the celebration.

YEA FOR MANKIND IN LAGUNA BEACH. (sidenote: I believe I've just used "broke","back","mankind" and "Laguna Beach" all in one blog post. Why do I find that funny?)

The rumor, however, is that very soon she will, in fact, graduate. I heard that she is making up my class as we speak and all she had to do for independent study was do a book review on 4 novels. I'm sure she'll get on the Internet and have that done in no time.

The camel's back may be broken but somehow, someway she'll be riding off in the sunset, the last laugh (of course) being hers.

8 comments:

Greg said...

There is always this expectation that somehow there will be a bailout. That bailout creates expectations and behaviors that require future bailouts. Failure is difficult and at times devistating. So often the blame is transfered to those that supervise or mete out consequences. Unfortunately, I believe that it is a rare situation where someone learns through self reflective consideration that success will come only through self-improvement.

Hans said...

As with many situations in life, we can't worry about what other people are going to do or think. We have to do what we believe is right and just. Whatever the outcome is, we can be confident we made the right decision. As a teacher you have a responsibility and accountability toward the kids you teach to make decisions like the one you did. I think you have positively impacted this girl more than you think. She may not see it now, but at some point in her life she will, as Greg mentioned above, take this experience (along with others) and realize she needs to make some changes.

Nana said...

Yea for some sense of leadership! And at least some consequence. I'm so glad you started the chain reaction and there was some follow through. I'm also glad you got to go on Monday to the US Open. While I watched it on TV it was a sweet experience for me too. For me everyday is sweet to just be around and loving it.

Kristen said...

I've been anxiously waiting to hear the news...I can't believe it! So the poor girl didn't walk..wow!

Christina said...

im with kristen ive been WAITING to find out what happened! your like my new reality show! HAHAH

did you rent out your house yet?? i swear ALL my neighbors are moving and renting out their houses?!?!

Dro said...

No we haven't rented it out yet. :(

So many choices out there. Hopefully someone stumbles upon ours!

April Cobb said...

I totally agree with hans. You rule. You have to do the right thing, and she will have to learn that she does too. It starts with cheating and it ends up with prison. Am I jumping ahead here?

Dro said...

Classic thing is that she already has gone to jail for a DUI. Chick needs a reality check. Hopefully this does it for her but I'm guessing it's going to take a lot more.....doesn't this all go back to parenting?

You get away with things for so long, you think you are invincible.