
Like I have said in an earlier post, I am usually not the one to speak out when politics are involved. I have actually found much humor in those who get so fired up about politics and religion for that matter. There's a reason why there is a separation between church and state.....Most people would probably explode if these two hot topics ever merged together....although it appears with Prop 8 that the merge has begun.
Anyway, for some reason, I am intrigued and somewhat excited about this presidential race. I've never sat down and watched a Republican or Democratic convention until Sarah Palin spoke the other day. In the past, I figured, "Why bother? Same old song and dance. Democrats will roll out John F. Kennedy and accuse the Republicans of having too much money. Republicans will talk about not raising taxes (even though they do every time) and then accuse the Democrats of media spin."
It got old and I didn't want to waste my time; however, maybe it's my age, maturity level, or my desire to have something to talk about other than sports but whatever the reason, I am drawn to this race and have been following it pretty closely. So when McCain chose Palin as his running mate, I was stoked. I was stoked because he went against the grain and against the "good ole boy network." I was stoked because he is truly a 'Maverick' and wants to prove it by choosing someone who doesn't have a perfect family life but someone who could be great for the country. And I was stoked because it gave McCain a chance to actually win.
Well, 2 days ago after watching Sarah Palin speak, I knew that McCain had (for sure) made the right choice. She was funny. She was direct. And she attacked but in a way only a woman can. You see, when Clinton or a 'good ole boy' makes attacking comments, they come across as defensive or vain but when a woman does it, one gets the feeling that she is aggressive, strong, and willing to fight.
If you were in the middle and watched Palin's speech, I don't know how you couldn't be impressed. True, she didn't hit upon many issues but she hit the hot buttons that needed to be hit. She defended her family. She attacked Obama and the media. And she showed class while doing it. That's tough to do and no one else that McCain could've picked would've had the same reaction that Palin got after her speech. Republicans had to be impressed and Democrats had to be scared.
It's going to be a close race. Obama is probably still the lead dog but he's got a hard-charging woman right behind him because as the phrase goes, "Hell hath no fury than a woman scorned!" Just ask Hilary.

9 comments:
The stock market really doesn't care for Palin. I don't know what the bottom line was for one of these final republican weeks(fingers crossed), but it was ugly. Perhaps some foreshadowing of things to come with some analysts thinking 4 more (long, broke, alienating) years. Nice touch with Rabbi (D)Lieberman leading the charge for McCain. I know there's a joke here somewhere, but that can be saved for another blog. There is no TRUE leader out of the 4 Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates. Both VP's have to be able to lead in case something happens to the President. Neither one does. I personally don't care if she can field dress a moose or that she knows what icing means(I don't). Can she lead? 2 years in a very small populated, yet beautiful state doesn't go very far. Change is good. JP
Bad jason, left out one word and needed to edit...
Great Comments on Palin; i think the reason you are excited is because she is the only real CONSERVATIVE Republican we have seen for a while, at least that is why I am so pumped. Her ideas are almost all in line with what I believe BUT she has a lot to learn and quick. I am anxious to see how she will match up in the debates against Biden, but after her pitbull joke, I get the impression that she can handle herself just fine. It's fun to watch her take some steam from the Obama production. PLUS she is much easier on the eyes than our last VP.
Rob
Our country is screwed either way, but more so with McCain. Who cares about the VP, you never hear much from them. Look at Chaney, the last thing I heard about that guy was that he shot some guy in the butt.
But hey, I guess the republicans have to have something to hold onto, why not Palin, McCain certainly isn't the bright spot.
Dro you want to bet on this years race, I want my $10 back. I will take Obama and the points.
I thought her speech was great. As for being able to lead. . .During election years, we lose sight of the fact that a president's main source of power is the veto. Sure, a president needs to be able to talk well enough to convince the public that he knows what he's doing (something Dubya never did).
Veto power is why a president's positions matter so much more than his ability to make speeches. And as dazzling as Obama is, I don't like the idea of a man with socialist ideas trying to determine the country's direction.
The only problem is I don't care for McCain either, but at least he's not advocating socialism.
Remember - she was a pretty face reading someone else' words.
Anonymous,
I agree that most politicians (if not all) have speech writers; however, a speech is only as good as its speaker.
Obama knows his audience and is great with his rhetoric. Same can be said for Palin that night. She delivered with emotion. (See Marc Antony)
A speech can be great but if the speaker doesn't move the people with his/her emotions then the speech itself is null and void. (see Marcus Brutus).
The biggest item being pushed by Obama right now is "change." However, be very careful what you wish for because you might just get it.
Change Change change! The only thing Obama needs to change is his wife. She looks like Condoleza Rice addicted to heroin. She gave a speech and said "for the first time in my life I'm proud to be an American" How old is she?? Has she ever been out of this country to know the difference? The Obama's are clueless (see his VP pick). All I have to say is if you want Obama, get ready for Osama!! Get it right, vote white. Stop the drama, NO for obama.
Don't get me wrong, Mccain isn't the best choice either but he will at least look at the war on Terror and make some strategic decisions on how to further our mission rather than shut it down and "bring em home" like the Dems say needs to happen. Democrats get us into war, Republicans spend 8 years cleaning it up. Oh yeah, Mccain won't kill babies either...that's kinda cool.
PS- Palin is HOT!!
Dro - Well reasoned and on-point post. I really like Palin as a pick. I think she has the guts and tenacity to be a great leader - and likely will be in the future of the GOP. On readiness - she is a governor (as was the primary experience of three of our last four presidents - Regean (no prior national office), Clinton (no prior national office), and George W. (no prior national office)), she leads one of the most difficult states to manage (its huge!!, incredible natural resource issues, wild west mentality, nearest neighbors - Canada and Russia (not the United States)), she is just a few years younger than Clinton when he took office (though he probably has more children - we just don' have a count), and she can really inspire people. In contrast with Obama - who has not authored in his entire public carrer any meaningful legislation (both at the state level or as a Senator) she has made radical change in Alaska energy policy, use of public funds, and conservation.
She's new, she's fresh and I believe much of the attacks against her are veiled sexism.
Post a Comment