Followers

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Mountain Dew, Ice Cream, and 90210

Question: What do these three things have in common?

Answer: They are my guilty pleasures.

(I seriously debated writing those last two words....they sound so sultry when they roll off one's tongue).

Anyway, I think--I hope, that most people in life have their own form of "guilty pleasures." You know those things that you do on a consistent basis that you know you probably shouldn't but you have a hard time divulging your secret in public in fear of ridicule and scorn. However, you really wish you could get over that guilty feeling because "who really cares, anyway?"

Well, I am here to help. Consider this your forum for breaking out. Consider this the day that you let the world know (well, okay 10-15 people) that you even though you are a manly man, "You love Project Runway and you're sick of feeling guilty about it!"

I'll go first.

#1 I drink at least one Mountain Dew a day. Have to have it. Yes, I will get a headache if I don't. Yes, I know it has caffeine. Yes, I know I am addicted. Yes, I know what it will supposedly do to my sperm count. Yes, I have read the Word of Wisdom. Yes, I justify my actions. Yes, I still hold a temple recommend. Yes, I feel guilty sometimes. (ie I had a shopping cart full of Dew, Diet Pepsi, etc. last night at the store and a ward member said Hi, looked down, furrowed his brow, and asked, "You like soda, huh?" I stammered, ho-hummed, and tried to justify my actions...which have led me to this post). I love my mountain dew and damn the consequences!


#2 I like ice cream. I like it a lot. I once threw up about a year ago because I ate too much in one sitting. (dulce de leche...yum). I pack the ice cream in a huge cup and then pour milk in on top and watch the milk work its way down around the ice cream until I have a very thick milkshake. In high school, I would eat 2 of these a day and gained no weight. Now, if I eat 2 a week, my love handles start to become "more lovely" so I have to limit myself but not much. Even though it is one of the most fattening things one can eat and even though it is unhealthy, I will continue to eat my ice cream because it just tastes too good to stop.





#3 Beverly Hills 90210. I watched this show every week 15 years ago. In its heydey, 90210 was one of the best shows on television. I couldn't wait to see if Dylan would kick his drug habit, or if Brandon would hook up with the token ugly chick Andrea Zuckerman, or if David would finally get what he had so patiently been waiting for, or if Kelly would ever hook up again with Steve (poor Steve), or if Brenda would ever get out of Kelly's shadow. Such drama. Such fun.



And guess what? It's back. That's right there's a new 90210 on TV. Kelly is now a counselor at West Beverly High and has a four year old kid with one of her blasts from the past. (Could it be Brandon.....or Dylan....or maybe even Steve?) Her sister (remember the baby) is now a student at the high school. Just like when the Walshs moved from Minnesota in the original, there is a new family in Beverly Hills but this time they are from Kansas. Yes they have two kids that attend the high school, one who is a girl and one who is a boy but NO, they are not twins this time. Instead, the girl is white and the boy is (gasp!) black and their dad is actually the Principal! I know this is some serious drama. Brenda has even made an appearance. And yes, you will be glad to hear that The Peach Pit is still around and Nat is still cooking his famous burgers. (I love the difference in these two pictures. Look how far the media and our society has come in its morals. Classic! Somebody please bring back those whitewashed jeans!!!!)



I watched it when I was in my 20s and I'm watching it again in my 30s. No, you can't make me feel guilty about it anymore. As I drink my mountain dew, followed by my nightly milkshake, you will find me on Tuesday nights huddled up with my blanket watching the new Beverly Hills 90210.

Anyone else reading this blog want to "come out of the closet" and publicly announce your guilty pleasures????

(No Chad, this is not the forum for that kind of public acknowledgement. Perhaps Bags would be someone you would need to talk to.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love 90210, the old and the new. The new girls, Annie, Naomi and Silver who at first I thought were nasty are even getting better looking each week. Well I always thought Silver was hot. And how old is Naomi in real life, she is suppose to be 16 on the show but she looks 23.

I also enjoy the soda myself, but in Diet form, Diabetes sucks.

But I have to say my one guilty pleasure that embarrasses me most is the show True Life on MTV. I can waste a whole Saturday watching the marathons they sometimes have.

Unknown said...

Dro, Yes on prop 8 dude! What's with the 90210 crap? I understand the Dew and the ice cream but please stop with the 90210. Let me guess, you and cort record queer eye for the straight guy and watch it on the weekends??

My guilty pleasures.... Rated R comedy's and crystal meth (I live in Riverside, its totally normal out here).

RUSSELL said...

Hey, I'm not admitting anything here but I heard it was OK to drink Herbal Iced Tea. Being a convert I would like a second opinion. Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Hans said...

My mom drinks herbal tea all the time, hot. I even drink HOT chocolate sometimes. (notice the emphasis on the HOT) My dead grandma used to drink decaffeinated coffee and she was a temple worker. It seems like every generation becomes more strict when it comes to the Word of Wisdom. When we are all gone our children will only drink room temperature water. I recently switched to diet soda. I resisted for the "diet" for years, hating the taste. I think the sugar does worse things to you than the caffeine. I've noticed my joints aren't as sore as they had been since I switched and I sleep better. Oh yeah Guilty Pleasures- watching cooking shows (kind of embarrassing for a Chef), Reality TV, and admitting that I used to watch 90210 and Melrose Place hoping that the characters would show up on each other's shows. I kept waiting for Brenda to move into the complex and kick Amanda's @$$.

The Moderator said...

More than once, I've spent 2 hours ironing shirts and watching 'Mean Girls.'

My wife keeps chocolate chips in the freezer. She gets these jumbo sized bags from Sams. As long as the bag is new and unopened, I can resist, but once it's opened, I usually devour the rest of the bag - one small handful at a time - over the next day or two.

I used to watch Springer and listen to Dr. Laura. I put them in the same category because they both feature reasonably intelligent hosts talking to immoral freaks.

loubige said...

I think most everyone knows mine......DRO. :-)

Seriously though....vanilla ice cream with tonz of chocolate syrup AND as always a meal NOT prepared by me. (preferably at a restaurant or fast food)

As for Diet Coke, I enjoy it but don't drink it out of addiction like you, I drink it b/c it's that ONE 'bad' thing I CAN do as a mormon. (I know so lame-just being honest) :-)
And I think (for me at least) it has become a social cocktail, if that makes any sense?
Plus I honestly think our society today as compared to 20 years ago has become a soda drinking society.

Regarding 90210....the jury is still out....I'm watching it more for nostalgic reasons right now, but I'm sure I'll get sucked in for the year at least.

Melody said...

Peanut Butter M&M's. I can devour an entire bag in a day. I'm not talking one of the small snack size bags, I'm talking the LARGE bag.

America's Next Top Model. I can't figure out why but I love that show.


BTW I love your blog! (The comments always crack me up!)

April Cobb said...

Okay. I have a whole entry on my blog about 90210 and the new season/old season with similar pictures. No one ever commented on it, so I thought maybe they all thought I had issues. And everyday at 1pm when my baby naps, I watch the reruns on Soap Network.

When my husband is out of town, I usually eat chocolate chip cookies for dinner. (I am just saving myself the extra calories that dinner would have added and getting to the point.)

I am also a True Hollywood Story addict. I don't care who it is about. I am GLUED. Oh, and People Magazine is very hard for me to put down. When I lived in Mexico, I read Hola!, and it is just as addictive in Spanish.

It is good to get it off my chest. If Clay Aiken can finally tell us all what we already knew, I can certainly confess my reality too.