Followers

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

1st Day of School

I'm wondering who it affects the most when the first day of school rolls around? Moms, kids, or teachers.

For moms, their schedule takes a drastic turn....almost 180 degrees. No longer are the kids (and moms) sleeping in. No longer are the days filled with activities or lounging. No longer does the beach call your name. No longer can you wear PJs until noon. Instead, it's up at 6:30 or so and then waking the kids around the same time. It's making breakfast and sack lunches. It's doing homework, signing papers, and becoming "James" the chauffeur. True, moms now have 8 am-2 pm alone at home (unless there are little ones still) but even those hours seem to fly by trying to keep the house tidy and the schedules tight. Do you moms ever feel like doing what this "Mom Barbie" is doing just to cope with your schedules when school begins?




But what about kids? They go from TV, video games, sleep, play, beach, friends, late nights, late mornings, and sleep-overs to: In bed by 9, up by 6, no TV/video games during the week, no beach, no sleep-overs, and homework on a nightly basis. Stress hits them squarely in the face when for 3 months, they felt no stress at all. Are kids affected when school begins....Definitely!



And last but not least teachers. We always forget about them. I would say that the majority of people think that teachers actually look forward to the first day of school. They are always so cheerful on that first day and wanting to give a first impression; however, now that I am behind the curtain, I can tell you that this is simply not true. Teachers loathe the first day of school. We cannot stand it. Sure, we are somewhat excited for the new school year and the challenges that are sure to come our way BUT that first day is awful, simply awful. We have no set curriculum for the first day. We wing it. We are left to entertain the students for an hour at a time with really nothing to talk about. You can only ask "How was your summer?" for so long.



Some teachers play getting to know you games even though they know that the kids hate them. Why? Because it fills time. I refuse to play those games. Instead I just start talking about whatever. Sometimes the kids will laugh but most of the time they look at me like I'm on drugs. I actually asked my 6th period yesterday who they thought was hotter, "Misty May or Kerri Walsh?" That's how desperate I had become. They now think I'm a 36 year old pervert.



So there you have it. I'm not sure who has it worse? Moms, kids, or teachers. All I know is that everyone is just as miserable as everyone else so we deal with it thinking we are the only ones who feel this way.

Of course, I could be talking about a lot of things with that last comment. (Gospel Doctrine, Relief Society, First day of school.....) They all go hand in hand.

12 comments:

loubige said...

I voted moms have it worse on the first day only b/c they have 500 million papers to fill out for each kid and then multiply that times the amount of kids you have.....damn that's a lot of homework.
I would like to add that the second day is harder for the kids, the excitement is GONE and they realize they have to do this over and over again for 9 1/2 months...ouch.
Screw the teachers, that's why they get paid.

loubige said...

P.S. Misty May is hot.

Unknown said...

Exactly Louann! Screw the teachers! They are way overpaid.

I actually think that it's harder on the dad's going to work everyday. Why no mention of them Jon you insensitive PIG?

I have it way worse than all of you. I have gotten used to waking up at 10 AM every morning and playing with my kids before going to work at 11 am, or sometimes after lunch if I'm not feeling it. Now I have to set my alarm to 8am so I can wake up to say goodbye as they walk out the door....It totally sucks.

Anonymous said...

Loubige said damn...She also said Misty May is hot so all is forgiven. Teachers are very underpaid. Chad needs more sleep. Nice VP pick Bush III. Anymore cheese hangs Scott Shields? Yes on prop 8. JP

RUSSELL said...

The fact that Lou said that Misty May is hot is what is hottest!!!!! Thank you for that Lou!

RUSSELL said...

Oh yeah, teachers have it the hardest. For the kids it's just part of being a kid. We all had to do it so they're not doing anything we didn't have to do. Nowadays they get so many days off unlike when we were in school. The moms signed on for this job(unless they have jobs in addition to the job of raising children). The teachers have to deal with the kids who seem like they get more and more disrespectful every year. I feel sorry for you Jon. I could never do it. I'm glad there are teachers like you who are willing to sacrifice themselves for this higher calling.

Dro said...

Thanks for the props Russell! It's funny but I do the same thing with my friends' jobs.

I think, "How do they do that? I could never be (fill in the blank)."

I guess we all settle in on our strengths and try to get paid for the talents we have developed.

I love my job but sometimes I think I only love it because I would suck at everything else....except for Todd's job. I would love to eat a few donuts and a double cheeseburger everyday and get paid BANK to do it!

loubige said...

LOVE the new photo. I love that dude.

Unknown said...

Hilarious Dro! The only thing about having Tod's job is that you need a sidekick to do all the work.It's like batman and robin. What did batman ever do anyway? He just saved people and hooked up with chicks while robin worked his A off collecting checks and cleaning up for Batman.Please refer to us now as Fatman and Shackie.

Also, Misty May gets less attractive the more I see her. I'm not sure if it's because I now see her doing interviews with her clothes on or what. I think it's something about her mouth and her smile...face tends to wrinkle up in a really weird way??

PS- Teachers have it the worst when school starts. 3 months off and then.... FRESHMAN. I still feel the wedgie I got 18 years ago.

Kristen said...

Hey Chad..in Todd's defense all I have to say about this is size DOES matter...I'm glad Todd is a big guy, if you know what I mean...

we will leave it at that!

loubige said...

Yowza Kristen!!! :-0

RUSSELL said...

Kristen, I thought rumor was that chad was the "big guy". I guess it must be all those Thompsons..I got your back Chad!!!!!