Followers

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Unveiling of Importance...

Strange title, I know but I couldn't think of anything else to go along with this post. Being an English teacher, I see metaphors for life in almost anything I do. Some people see patterns, others see numbers, a few see food products......I see metaphors. Not sure what that means but it seems like a good opening paragraph leading into the meat of my post. (how many of you immediately thought of hamburger or steak? I guess you would be the few that see "food products").

Anyway, as most of you know we recently moved (once again). Of course, we have mountains of boxes piled up all over and the key is to find walking lanes to get from one room to the next. As we started unpacking the first few boxes, I thought of something: I realized that the boxes I unpacked first equaled the most important things in my life or items I couldn't live without. It was like a slap in the face or an "Aha" moment.

Guess what I unpacked first? Yep, the computer and the TV. Ouch. I hooked up the internet, the cable, and the DVR. Boxes were everywhere, there was nothing in the fridge, my clothes were in piles, and yet I cleared space for the computer and the TV.......Am I a loser or what?

What has technology done to me?!?!

Remember the good 'ole days with no internet, cell phones, or cable? My favorite pastime was reading books and listening at night on my transistor radio to Angel games. Now, I read emails, post on my blog, look up my fantasy baseball stats, DVR the Angel game, watch a variety of baseball games on the MLB ticket, wait for Baseball tonight to begin, and smile a lot because Jesse won The Bachelorette. (ie LOSERville).....which if you've been reading my blog lately, I'm sure you've already come to that conclusion.


BUT, since I've been able to see a metaphor to life in the unpacking of boxes, all is not lost. I can still make changes. I am still young enough to not have my life revolve around technology.

My immediate 5 step plan includes the following:


1. TV shows will be reduced to Lost and Seinfeld re-runs....(and Jesse and Deanna's wedding on pay-per-view). :)

2. Computer time will be reduced to fantasy baseball, emails, and occasional blog posts (you can't get rid of me that easily).

3. Emails will only be checked twice a day (once in the morning and once at night.....I can't go cold-turkey).

4. I will only text on my cell phone if it is an emergency and I will not check baseball scores 24/7.

And finally the kicker and the most important.......


5. I will actually talk face to face with my wife rather than communicate via email, text, blog messages, etc..





Do you think I can actually accomplish all 5 goals????

Drop me an email or text me and let me know. Thanks!

6 comments:

loubige said...

No.

P.S. did you get my email yet?

Christina said...

impressive! im losing that game already...dont get sucked into facebook like jon & i have--

maines said...

Of course you can! If you don't come to the realization that it's silly (like I do every time I try to kick the Diet Coke habbit). I'm all for cutting back, I can use a little of that myself, but don't go too crazy. Don't forget it's the way you keep in touch with friends and build relationships. Sad that it's not face to face, maybe, but that's kinda the way the world runs now. I feel like I've gotten to know you better through this blog and I enjoy reading your insights and views on things. And without text messaging, LouAnn and I might never talk! So go ahead and cut back, but don't cut us all out! :-)

Dro said...

YEA Maines!!! I love arguments from the other side....it makes me feel better about my "love" for technology. I am, of course, writing this comment with Diet Coke in hand!!!!

April Cobb said...

If it works for you, let us all know how you did it. I have like 3 other friends who just posted their "new years resolutions" sort of things on blogs this week. Is there something in the air? (We like you how you are, by the way.)

Melody said...

Good Luck!!
Jim and I will be in the same room and use Instant Messanger to talk. It's pitiful I know.