Well, one of those "lovable losers" is back. We haven't seen him in years. He hardly plays competitive golf anymore. And the only news he's been in lately is that he's been divorced and has remarried to another "lovable loser" herself: Chris Evert. She of tennis fame many years ago. Do you guys remember Chris Evert? She won 18 Majors on the WTA Tour and would've had many more had they not allowed a man to play on the women's tour. I never understood even as a young teenager why they never tested Martin Navratilova's testosterone level. That dude was ripped! Chris Evert had no chance against him.

Anyway, at the age of 53, Greg Norman is back. This is what I said about him on my blog on May 12th:
"Greg Norman (always wanted to win the Masters and was supposed to be the greatest to ever play the game). In 1996 he was 6 shots ahead with only 18 holes to play and yet he self-destructed before our very eyes and lost to Nick Faldo. Before that day, many fans and golfers alike, disliked Norman. Thought he was too cocky and too perfect; however that Sunday in Augusta everything changed. He became a human and as humans we opened our hearts and let him in. He's now a billionaire and yet he is #2 on my list as a "lovable loser." Go figure."

That was in 1996 and we haven't heard from Norman since then. True, he started developing golf courses and investing properly and buying jets; however, as far as a competitive golfer was concerned.......he was done. Now 12 years later, he has re-emerged to be leading The British Open. The tournament where he made his mark on the golfing world many years ago.
He recently lost 105 million due to his divorce but has found a new "love" (my guess is that Chris Evert has more than 105 million to her name but I'm sure that's not the reason) and therefore, (miraculously) has found his golf game. What is it about women that make men "raise" their games? You see this all the time. Girls on the sidelines......and all of sudden, guys are running harder, sweating more, and over-exerting themselves to the point of no return. (well except with Jessica Simpson. For some reason, her being in the stands, made Tony Romo play worse...there could be an easy explanation for that.....).

Anyway, Greg Norman has been very successful in his life. He is a billionaire. He is now married to a millionaire. He has private jets and many homes. And yet, I am rooting for him this weekend. He has become a "lovable loser" in my mind. At the age of 53, he is past his prime but here he is.
Is it a Cinderella story? No. If Greg Norman loses his glass slipper this weekend, he'll just go out and buy another; however, it is a story worthy of your time even if you're not a golf fan.
Separate yourselves this weekend from your reality shows for a moment or two and tune into some golf. Look for Greg Norman and you will see, behind the facade of money and fame, a young teenage boy running harder, sweating more, and taking occasional glances to the sidelines to see if he is indeed impressing his new "love."
Boys will always.....just be boys.


2 comments:
Dro, don't fret. I've got something to write. I'm glad you brought the topic of Norman up again. I didn't respond to your "loveable loser" post and this gives me a second chance. I'm happy to see Norman doing well. He was "the man" when I was first learning to play and I've always liked him. And his collapse at The Master only added some pity factor. I don't even know if he ever played another Masters since or even bothers to show up, but I always look for his name hoping that he might, by some miracle, redeem himself.
So who won? I forgot to ask you last night......
Post a Comment