Followers

Monday, July 7, 2008

Happy 34th!!!!

Yep, that's right it's Loubige's 34th birthday today. The 34 reasons I love her at this moment in our lives:

#34--#2: She can pack and label boxes better than anyone I've ever met!



(Believe me, I've seen her do it now 14 different times in 13 years)




And the number #1 reason I love her.......


**She won't allow me to pack or label any box in fear I might screw up her system**

Some husbands might be offended by this. Me, I am stoked!

Of course, Lou Ann's system is very organized and methodical compared to mine. For her, there is definitely a place for everything and everything in its place. There is no box too heavy (well...except for 20 years of Sports Illustrated magazines) or too light. She labels what they are and where they go on every side of the box just so the person carrying it in the house doesn't have to turn it many different ways to figure out where it goes. She tapes both ends with precision going one way with the thick packing tape and then the other. No box has ever fallen apart in 14 moves (well....except for the box with 20 years of Sports Illustrated).


My system: Throw anything I want in a box and tape it up. When I get tired, throw everything else away.

Clearly, this is why she won't allow me to pack a box. She fears she will never see some items ever again.

Anyway, you might've already guessed how we are going to celebrate her birthday....YEP, unpacking those wonderfully packed boxes. You never fully realize how much moving bugs, until you are in the middle of moving. Two words have been uttered from our mouths many times this weekend. These two words can sum up any ill feeling one has in any situation. These two words transcend time and place and when uttered, convey your true feelings and those listening understand what you are going through. Those two words are........


"THIS SUCKS"


To make matters worse, Lou Ann didn't even get to celebrate one of her favorite holidays: The 4th of July. She loves fireworks like none other and yet, late at night with the fireworks going off, I was making a preliminary load to the new house, and she was stuck at home getting ready for the big move the next day. When I arrived to our new pad and walked out on the balcony, I couldn't believe it: I could see 4 different firework shows from Laguna Beach to Newport and it was amazing even to me, the non-firework lover. I called Loubige and apologized profusely.





Her response, "This sucks!"

I loved her for that response. I knew how she felt and what she was going through. She could've blasted me with expletives and yet, chose those 2 simple words that conveyed more feeling to me than any other. We've moved 14 times in 13 years. Unbelievable! No wife should have to endure this but Loubige does even when the move makes her miss one of her favorite holidays and falls directly on her birthday.


I love you babe! Happy 34th Birthday!

I'm sure we'll be doing it all over again a year from now. :)


And if that happens.....I'm sure we'll be uttering our two favorite words. Because to be moving a year from now would definitely.......
well, you know.

6 comments:

Hans said...

We're not moving again until we're wealthy enough to pay someone else to do it and not miss the money or we can leave everything behind and buy new stuff. I hate moving. The last time we moved I tried to be organized. I bought some boxes (rather than rummage through dumpsters) and started placing items inside and labeling them. It started out well. I had boxes that read, China, Silverware, kitchen utensils, books, etc... That lasted until there was a pile of crap that didn't make it into the boxes that they should have. Pretty soon we had boxes with pots and pans together with all the crap that is in the junk drawer and office supplies with tools. And then you run out of time and you have to decide whether you are going to pay another day for the moving van or just throw everything into the same box and sort it out when you unpack. And I hate it when the Elders quorum offers to help. Please, the only people that show up are the ones that feel guilty for not doing their home teaching (I know from experience) and then they appear 2 hrs late just as you finish destroying your furniture trying to move it yourself. Moving? I'd rather get kicked in the crotch. It's cheaper and the pain doesn't linger as long. Oh yeah, Happy Birthday Lou!!!!

RUSSELL said...

Happy Birthday Loubige, "That sucks" but I'm sure when you're all settled in Jon will make it up to you. 34 Huh? You're just a kid!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Wow, 14 times in 13 Years? That sounds alot like my sex life. :)

Your new crib is sweet! the view is awesome but I especially loved the mirrors all over the master bedroom and the bathroom with no shower pan or curtain... just a toilet, a sloping floor with a drain, and a shower head. Dro, you don't even need a toilet in there, just open the door and launch.

Hans said...

Dude, your new crib sounds like a piso you had back in the Canary Islands. (referring to the view, the bathroom, and maybe the launching. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lou Ann!!!!! Don't forget where you packed the pearls for the next photo shoot! JP

maines said...

You're using boxes now, Dro? I thought you just threw everything in a big garbage bag?