Followers

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Best TV Shows......

As reality shows have been blowing up lately and as we have been discussing what makes a great show, I have been thinking.......what shows have been my favorite throughout the years? Everybody loves to rank things: Best movie, best song, best dress, best actor, best pizza, etc.. etc..

Well, I've decided to come up with my own list. My top 5 TV shows of all time. The shows that I loved and still love to watch. You know those shows....the ones that pop up every once in a while and you can't turn the channel even though you've seen that specific episode 100 times.

I have watched much TV throughout my years so this was actually more difficult then it might seem. I had to cut out shows that were entertaining at the time but then got old after awhile (The OC comes to mind). I had to cut out shows that although might be your favorite...wasn't mine (ie Friends....that show would make my top 5 hated shows of all time...Sorry). I had to also cut out shows that are classics but just not good enough to make my list (like Beavis and Butthead). I also cut out reality shows (gasp) even though if I made a top 10 then of course (The Bachelor) would no doubt be on that list.

Included in my list are shows that might make you furrow your brow. Shows that might make you think less of me (if that is even possible). And shows that might define me in a way that is less than masculine (yes, I know...I've already accomplished that feat).

Anyway, in the end, I came up with the following.....hate me, love me, yell out, "NO WAY"...I don't care. These are shows that I looked forward to all week. Shows that I couldn't get enough of and still watch to this day whenever they are on.


Drumroll please......



#5 Different Strokes



Nothing says humor more than a little black kid with pudgy cheeks who constantly yells out, "Watcha talkin' bout Willis?" The show's premise: Rich white guy with teenage daughter adopts 2 "brothers" and tries to cultivate and educate them. In reality, what Mr. Drummond learns is that it is "he" who gets the "education."

"Now the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you....may not be right for some."

Never has a show's opening tune spoken more volumes. Definitely had to have "Different Strokes" in my top 5.



#4 Lost





Most of you already know why I love this show: Drama, life metaphors, and of course...KATE. I look forward to this show the minute that little robot shows up signifying the end of the hour of the episode I just watched. You never know where this show is going or what questions they are going to answer. I love to try and "figure it out" even though I rarely do. That is the mark of a great drama in my opinion. It keeps you guessing and never fully gives you the answers. Plus there's always "Kate."


#3 Threes Company



Ah. The show prohibited by most Mormon parents....which is probably why I liked it so much. (Maybe there is life lesson there?) The show that was "taboo" in its day. Not only did a guy live with 2 girls but he acted "gay" so he would be allowed by Mr. Ferley (the landlord) to reside there. This was a big no-no back in the day. No one lived with 2 women and no one was or acted gay. (Look how far our society has fallen.....)

This show was hilarious from start to finish. It always began with a misunderstanding and we had to endure 30 minutes before each character figured out that they were sorely mistaken. Jack (unlike today's shows) never "slept" with Chrissy or Janet but instead became their friends! (gasp.) There was actually no sex on the whole show (even though Larry always tried).

Even though this show was banned by many Mormon families, it can now be seen on the family channel. (go figure).

Quick...name the place where Jack Tripper hung out? That's right.."The Reagle Beagle." How could you not love a show with a bar called "The Reagle Beagle?"

Definitely had to have this one in my top 3!



#2 Beverly Hills 90210




The show that started it all: Teenage drama on the big screen. What mid 30s adult living right now, didn't wait with anticipation for BEV to begin each week? What mid 30s adult living right now, didn't get together with friends (girls and guys alike) to eat popcorn, drink soda and watch how Brandon and Brenda (two Minnesota teenagers) could coexist and blend in with kids from "Beverly Hills." Not only did they blend in....they became part of the drama. For the first time in network television the "big issues" were brought to light and we "learned" that teenagers did in fact have sex and do drugs. Who couldn't forget Donna Martin's plea to her mother: "Just because you put a fence around the pool, doesn't mean kids aren't going to jump in. You still have to teach them to swim." (sidenote: It took Donna Martin 7 years to "swim" which made her argument all the more compelling....)

Yes, I too watched the show. And yes, I loved it just like you. If you go to the "Soap Opera" channel, you can catch re-runs of this classic show.

ps Weren't they in high school for like 6 or 7 years?!?! Hilarious!


And the #1 show of all time, in my humble opinion........................



#1 Seinfeld



"The show about nothing." 30 minutes of straight sarcasm!!!! This show came along at the right time in our society. Once this show realized it wasn't about Jerry, it took off. Instead of the characters setting up Jerry, he instead "set up" everyone else. The show created stars in Elaine, George, and Kramer. And it created numerous common phrases that we use even in today's world. You know a show is great when in almost any situation, one can refer to an episode of "Seinfeld" and everyone will laugh.

You can't flip through the channels and not stop when coming across an episode of "Seinfeld." But the true humor doesn't come from the show itself but from the common references by people throughout the years.

"Seinfeld" is a classic that will never get old and never go away and that is the mark of a great TV show.


Anyway, that is my list. If I have forgotten your favorite, please enlighten me. But I doubt any of yours can ever or will ever CRACK my top 5.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Only one of yours makes my top 5 Dro. Different Strokes was awesome! I liked "Webster" too....America just loves black midgets I guess.

My top 5:

Who's the boss?- She was hot.

Different Strokes- The bunk bed they had was sweet!

Cheers- no explanation needed.

The Office- I love Kevin

The A Team- didnt miss an episode


I had a hard time leaving out Golden Girls. I watched that show religiously for years. I loved Sophia! she was hilarious. I must admit, I had a huge crush on Blanche as well.

Dro said...

Golden Girls was sweet!!! And what teenage boy didn't have the hots for BLANCHE!!! (a 50 year old woman never looked so good). :)

Anonymous said...

90120 was the best show ever on TV, and still is. My brother would say MASH is number 1, he always made me watch it. My wife would say Gilmore Girls, we have all the seasons on DVD. My father would say Bugs Bunny, Yosemite Sam, Roadrunner and Wiley Coyote, he did have a tattoo on his arm of Yosemite Sam.

But 90210 was the best, I learned way more from that show than high school ever taught me. Right now, I love watching Family Guy, very entertaining and well written, that too is probably banned from most Mormon homes.

Side note: for the longest time Different Strokes theme song was the ringer on my cell phone, I chuckled everytime I got a call.

Stephanie said...

Awesome list...I think an awesome theme song makes the show. What happened to Alan Thick's theme song career? I would only add Party of Five to that list...you know how I loved that show.

Kristen said...

This post is hilarious! I love your list, Seinfeld is my # 1 also.
Remember these..
Love Boat, Growing Pains, BJ and the Bear, Dukes of Hazards, Charlie's Angels...
Chad's always makes me laugh:)
Your comment about Blanche...SO FUNNY!

maines said...

That was so hard to vote on. I love me some 90210, but I had to give it to Seinfeld. I don't think a day of my life goes by that I'm not reminded of that show in some way. Everything in life can be related to a Seinfeld episode. Some modern day mormon taboo shows that I can't get enough of- Family Guy, Curb your Enthusiasm, and It's Always Sunny in Philedelphia. All of them make me laugh out loud. And now that I think of it, they all have at least one character that is totally disfunctional. The person that has all the qualities that you are supposed to hate but instead totally makes them relatable.

Cort said...

Okay list Dro. I like Maines list too. Seinfeld is the best show, and if you like it than you would love Curb Your Enthusiasm, by the same guy who did Seinfeld. Same humor, just more F bombs. I wasn't the biggest fan of some of those other shows on your list.

The one show that would definitley be on my list that nobody has mentioned is "The Wonder Years." I loved that show, and every once in awhile I come across it on some obscure channel. That's a good day. So much humor, and alwyas a touching little ending that'll give you chills. Plus Winnie Cooper was hot...way hotter than Blanch. I might have to include The Cosby Show, and for some reason I watched a lot of "Mr. Belvedere." That Wesley...always up to trouble.

Chad - I'm waiting for you to upload a sexy glamour shot of yourself like Kristen so I could see it next to your name whenever you comment. I don't know if your face could fit in a picture that small though.

Anonymous said...

1. The Shield
2. The Sopranos
3. The Simpsons
4. The Larry Sanders Show
5. 30 Rock/The Office(Thursday night tie)

Chad/Dro...Back away from the geritol/vaigra cocktail.
Cort, Nice crack on Chad's dome. 90210...Really? What about Melrose Place? Same h.s. (not high school) creator, and he doesn't have his goat eyed daughter all over this one.
Long live Vic Mackey & Tony Soprano!!!!!!! JP

Dro said...

Maines, due to us not having HBO, I haven't been able to watch those other "taboo" shows but perhaps Netflix can help me out there.

Cort, The Wonder Years was awesome! Winnie Cooper was definitely a fine, young woman.

Jason, I've never seen "The Shield" nor have I heard of anyone that actually watches it but props for being the first. :) I've heard good things about The Sopranos so that will have to be a summer viewing show as well.

Kristen said...

dang...Cort, I didn't realize my photo came across as a sexy glamour shot...is this a good think or a bad thing??

April Cobb said...

I totally agree, but 90210 would have to be number 1. Then I would add #6 & #7, which are Little House on the Prairie and Party of 5 (because no one could do misery like those writers.)And sadly, now, I can't stop watching Tory & Dean. Am I messed up? Oh, and what about the Office? We can't leave out the office. It might have to be a top 10. You have done a fine job.