Followers

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My Brother Greg


To those who don't know (probably not very many of you), I have a brother Greg who lives in Hawaii. (He and his family are shown above with my mom).

Some of you probably don't read comments on blogs and so I wanted to post his comment in regards to "judging and the alternative lifestyle" especially with what has come down today in the Supreme Court.

I think it is spot-on.

Here it is:

"We judge people everyday and must for our own safety and the safety of others. When the guy in the car swerves in and out of your lane, you give him plenty of space and try to get away from him. When you see someone who looks dangerous on the streets you walk a different direction. When someone asks you for a loan you have to evaluate whether that person is going to pay you back.

It is critical that we make these decisions. Perhaps we over generalize. Maybe the guy in the car ahead of you just spilled coffee in his lap and isn't drunk or a bad driver. I, however, am not going to give him the benefit of the doubt and risk getting killed. I have made the wrong decision on the scary guy on the street and got mugged at gun point (yes he was black and when I see other black guys early in the morning with hoodies and dirty jeans I run - guess I racially prejudice). And I have made the unpaid loan. It is impossible for us to live life without judging and make reasonable decisions based on limited exposure and, to some degree, stereotype. If you don't you are no better then Lenny Small from "Of Mice and Men" - tell me about the rabbits George.

So - on Prop 8. I have been around many homosexuals in my life. Whether through my time in musical theater, living in San Francisco for 12 years, going to a highly progressive law school in San Francisco (Hastings), or having two lesbian bosses for a year and a half (and listening to them argue about doing the dishes in staff meeting - btw as and aside: This couple was planning on adopting a child. When a child became available they were just leaving on vacation. They asked their dog sitter if she would be willing to pick up the baby and watch him until they got home. Thankfully the dog sitter said no, they decided to go on vacation and not get the baby.). Many gays and lesbians are friends whom I think are great people.

Most, however, are highly promiscuous with multiple partners, are predatory sexually, tend to be highly self-centered pre madonnas, and are quite materialistic. Gays have also been significantly responsible for the spread of a major public health epidemic because of their behavior (AIDS) which has cost society and taxpayers billions of dollars. They are neither apologetic not looking to provide compensation. Instead the seek the help and pity of non-gays to help them with their "burden".

I don't mean this to be hurtful or hateful. I am just trying to be honest. Its look in the mirror time. I recognize that I as a Mormon will initially be judged as self-righteous, close-minded, and as having a persecution complex. These judgments of us as a people are probably not far off. I don't get mad about it, I look at myself and try to recognize those poisonous qualities in me, amend them and help people amend their initial stereotypes of me.

The gays and their fellow crusaders are so focused on their failure to appropriate a word (they have all of the rights of married couples under California law) that they are driving people out of their jobs, vandalizing property and spending countless hours protesting during one of the most painful times in our nation's history (economy, war). This is very myopic and self-centered and only serves to reinforce the stereotypes I have of them. It's time to stop the rhetoric and get a grip!"

3 comments:

Dro said...

Greg, great comment. I agree with you completely. Stop the rhetoric. Stop the PC. Tell them who they really are.

Since Anonymous can't comment, please allow me to say what she/he/it would say:

"You Mormons are so hateful. You are such bigots. You are all going to die early deaths....what? excuse me? Hold on my lesbian girlfriend is talking to me.....

(honey, sweet-pie, peaches and cream: get the torches ready...it's time to burn down the Mormon temples and afterwards we will give everyone AIDS and then we will march outside the hospitals spewing profanities because the doctors can't cure us of this deadly disease).

I'm sorry...what was I saying? Oh yea...you Mormons are such haters."

loubige said...

Well said Greg.

Hans said...

The adoption story sounds like a lost episode of Will and Grace.