Followers

Monday, November 17, 2008

Holidays

I was thinking the other day about holidays in general and the difference in feeling a child gets compared to an adult when the holidays approach. For the most (I would say), the child is excited: full of anticipation eagerly awaiting that holiday that will either gain them candy, food, presents, colored eggs, chocolates, or at the very least, a day off (or more) from school. There is usually nothing negative associated with the holidays for a child.

The adult/parent on the other hand is usually not very excited: shopping, spending, finding, hiding, deciding, or at the very least, frustrated at one point or another.

Do I sound like a Scrooge? Probably.

But I'm finding as my kids get older, my frustration rises with each approaching holiday.

1. What do to that is exciting and new for New Year's Eve? (note: I always wait until that day to decide and then we usually just play games til 9:00 pm, turn on the TV and watch the ball drop in New York City).

2. What to buy for 36 x 4 other kids so that each student in my kids' classes aren't left without a Valentine? (note: this can get annoying when Target doesn't have SpongeBob Valentines or whatever the choice is that year).

3. Make sure each of my kids have enough green on for St. Patrick's Day so they don't get pinched too hard at school? (note: I always tell them just mark your hand with a green marker but they never go for my suggestion).

4. Where should I hide all my Easter Egg candy and how do I make sure that each kid gets the same amount of candy/eggs in his/her basket? (note: No matter how many precautions are made, the hunt usually ends with someone in tears).

5. Should I buy costumes so that my kids look cool enough or should I find stuff around the house thus letting everyone know that I am a lazy and cash-strapped parent? (note: Halloween is my LEAST favorite holiday of the year from a parent's perspective due to the costume problem, the candy issues, and the job of the parent to either walk with the children door to door or stay at home and hand out candy. There's only so many times I can say, "Oh it's Spiderman...how cool").

6. And then there's Christmas. Should I buy a lot of little things so my kids have more to open on Christmas day? Should I buy a few expensive things but then they think, "That's all I get?" Should I spend my savings only to see them either break that remote control car on the first day or not even play with it at all after they open a much "cooler" present? (note: How many times have you thought, "I bought the perfect gifts this year" only to see your kids searching for more presents and then breaking into tears when they realize that Christmas is over?)

Notice how I skipped Thanksgiving. That's right....that was on purpose. My favorite holiday of the year as a parent. I love my Thanksgiving. It is so simple and yet so rewarding. The kids know what to expect. Every kid gets the exact same thing. There are no presents on Thanksgiving. There is no hidden agenda. There is no shopping at the mall. There is no guessing. There are no tears. Put a turkey on the table. Throw in some mashed potatoes, stuffing, and maybe even a pumpkin pie. Mom cooks, Dad watches football. Maybe even get up early and play a little football with the neighbors. Kids run around, get tired, come home dirty, eat turkey with some ingredient that makes you go to sleep, and WHAM the day is done. Mom is a little tired from cooking but usually gets to take a nap in the late afternoon while a football game is buzzing and Grandpa is snoring in the background.

Kids are happy, parents are happy. Oh yea. There's nothing like Thanksgiving!!!!


7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Couldn't disagree with you more! Probably because I'm a woman that hates football. I get to slave away in the kitchen for 2 days to see the food gone in 20 minutes and then have to be subjected to endless football games for the entire day. Man, Thanksgiving sucks!!!!

maines said...

Wow, between this post and Loubige's latest, the Dro's are quite the Debbie Downers. I hope this years Thanksgiving meal and sports fest lives up to all of your expectations. Oh the pressure!

Dro said...

Don't let us get you down. We are just both on our period right now.

loubige said...

Nice one dro.

Shalaine, I actually thought that after reading his post!
Don't worry I am anxiously awaiting Biggest Loser tonight to rant and rave about that tomorrow!

Kristen said...

You know what, your absolutely right... Thanksgiving rocks!!!

Greg said...

I love the holidays. They are great opportunities to create memories as families. The more you put in (in terms of personal attention and heartfelt care), the more you get out of it. As for Thanksgiving, I like it ok. I love to eat good food. I love reflecting on my blessings and doing the same with my children. I love the smell of the air in late fall and the beginning of the christmas season.

Stephanie said...

Good attitude--I'm going to bake mom's stuffing and orange rolls with nothing but love!