The phenomena is this: The team/athlete/person that is supposed to be successful and seems to have everything going for them is the same team/athlete/person that the majority does not like. They are jealous of this team or person and openly root against them; however, after a few years of he/she/it contantly struggling, losing, getting all the bad breaks, etc. (all of a sudden) they have the majority rooting for them and urging them on to success. And the more they lose, the more people jump on the bandwagon and try to collectively urge them on, hoping they get over the hump and finally WIN. If, however, they do become successful, then the bandwagon empties and the majority becomes the minority.
So the question is this: Why do, we the public, like those who constantly lose? Mind you, we don't like those who occasionally lose, we only like those who lose all the time? Why? Is there a inherent gene that we all possess that makes us feel empathy for those who seem destined for failure? And if we do possess that gene, then when do we become aware of it?
For instance in high school, do we empathize with the loser who not only has no friends but who can't seem to get good grades either.......or do we just laugh at him/her and go on our way? Because I know for sure (later in life), we feel for that kid and try to make him/her a part of the group.
Anyway, you are probably wondering why I am posting this today or what made me think of the "lovable losers" phenomena. No, it isn't because it was Mothers' Day yesterday. (ha ha).
Two reasons actually:
#1 We had our annual Youth Conference this past weekend and I saw and observed many "lovable losers." I felt for them as I watched them standing alone during "down time" reading the look in their faces like, "Please let the devotional start so I don't have to stand here alone anymore."
#2 I watched the Players Championship (golf's 5th Major) on my DVR late last night. And there was Sergio Garcia in contention. Remember Sergio, known best for pushing Tiger to the bitter end 9 years ago as a young, brash 19 year old. Can't believe that was 9 years ago?!? He was hitting shots with his eyes closed, running down fairways, and jumping high into the air and the golfing world had a superstar blossoming before its very eyes. Most people claimed he was a cocky Spaniard who needed to learn his place and many openly rooted against him.

However, 9 years later and Sergio has become a "lovable loser." He is no longer brash. He no longer has turrets. He doesn't jump around as much or seem as animated. He now is just a grinder trying to make a living on the tour and all of a sudden, the majority loves him. They root for him to "finally" win the big one and as I watched him conquer his demons late last night, I found myself genuinely happy for him. I knew (at that moment), he had become (at least for me), a "lovable loser."

Sometimes the "loser" never gets over the hump. Sometimes the kid in high school standing on the wall is still that same kid (later in life) standing on the wall at company parties. Sometimes the athlete never finds the winning circle even though he was supposedly, "destined for greatness."
There are 2 examples of this that immediately come to mind:
#1 Chicago Cubs (last World Series win 1908). Their bandwagon of fans is bigger than any other. If they ever win though....what happens to the bandwagon? The same thing that happened to the Boston Red Sox. Most fans will jump off and they will become the team that everyone hates, rather than the one everyone loves.

#2 Greg Norman (always wanted to win the Masters and was supposed to be the greatest to ever play the game). In 1996 he was 6 shots ahead with only 18 holes to play and yet he self-destructed before our very eyes and lost to Nick Faldo. Before that day, many fans and golfers alike, disliked Norman. Thought he was too cocky and too perfect; however that Sunday in Augusta everything changed. He became a human and as humans we opened our hearts and let him in. He's now a billionaire and yet he is #2 on my list as a "lovable loser." Go figure.

So what's the point? Do we lose on purpose and thus try to become "lovable?" I don't think that's the answer but if for some reason you find yourself in the category of "lovable loser" I would urge you to try and stay there for as long as possible. I loved Sergio yesterday but now that he's won, I couldn't care less what he does the rest of his career YET, I still hope that one day Billionaire Greg Norman exercises the demons and wins The Masters.
Something seems very disturbing about that....

1 comment:
Every year of my high school career we played the team that couldn't win a football game for homecoming. In your definition they would have qualified as "loveable losers". However, to this day I feel no empathy for the Laguna Beach Artists!
Post a Comment