Followers

Monday, May 19, 2008

Change...

Charles Darwin once said, "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."

I hope he's right because yes, we are moving once again. Not too far away mind you, but we are moving into a new ward, stake, and school district which can be dramatic in and of itself. According to my wife, this will be the 14th time we will have moved since we've been married. We found a house to rent in Laguna Beach (within our budget) and believe it is the right move for our family.

Perhaps, we are a nomadic people...perhaps, we are searching for something we have yet to find...perhaps, we just can't settle down with our roots firmly in the ground. Who knows? All I know is that with "change" comes new opportunities. Sometimes those are positive, sometimes negative...but one must admit that the sense of adventure that comes with "change" is something that is difficult to attain unless one takes that step towards the unknown.

Joseph Campbell made a living talking and writing about this very thing. It's a pattern that most of us follow throughout our lives. I am actually teaching this to my 12th graders right now. I don't know if they can see the relevance (yet) but it is interesting nonetheless. Campbell says we all go through 5 stages in our journey or lifetime. Here are the steps with my own personal commentary:

1. Departure: Our call to adventure...even though sometimes we are reluctant to accept or take a long time discovering what our "call" might be.

2. Initiation: Our threshold crossing...we enter the dangerous world where we gain a mature perspective on life.

3. The Road of Trials: Self-explanatory...sometimes we have to endure tests of strength, resourcefulness, and endurance but we are usually given "supernatural" aid. This could be a mentor or some sort: real or imagined.

4. The Innermost Cave: Our "underworld"...A great trial(s) in our life. Sometimes it is plain to the naked eye, other times it is an inner conflict but most of us will go through this in some way. It could be physical, emotional, spiritual or a combination of all three.

5. The Return: After we overcome our "trial," we gain a newfound wisdom and use it to help others. Perhaps we become their mentors as they go through a similar road.


Anyway, are you bored yet? The 12th graders usually get this glaze over the eyes at this point as if to say, "Dude, you are talking out of your butt. Just put on a movie and let me go to sleep." However, I find this stuff intriguing, which is maybe why I keep moving.

Step #2 is my favorite. I love the "threshold crossing." Finding new perspectives, meeting new people, and therefore learning more about myself and others.

Someone once told me something I will never forget: "Everyone you meet has something unique about them. Try to get to know them long enough to figure out what that is and then learn from them."

I think with "change" comes that opportunity. However as Confucius once said, "Only the wisest and stupidest of men never change." Maybe I fall somewhere in between. :)

4 comments:

Christina said...

ugh another move!!! why bother unpacking except for the essentials!?

when does this move take place?? i wonder if your in my friends ward or stake now...

we have moved 10 times and i told jon NO MORE!!

Unknown said...

Is that all I was to you Jon, just another one of your "threshold crossings"?? I thought our friendship actually meant something you selfish bastard!!

PS- When do you guys move? We will be moving on the 20th of June FYI. I think I've moved you guys 3 times... you owe me one so I hope you're able to "initiate" yourself away from your little "Innermost cave" and help me move. After which you can get back on your little life journey you just wrote about. :)

Greg said...

Great post and have a great move. I think it is always important to follow what you feel is best for your family.

Nana said...

What about the longing for some stability? Right now there is a huge wave of change every day even during every day. There must be something someone says to the merits of being able to at least take a breath inbetween. BUT so happy for you all it all sounds like a dream come true.