Today I was given a new calling. I'm sure you have already guessed considering the name of this post and yes, you are right....I have been called as a Seminary teacher. Needless-to-say I am stoked! Why would one be stoked to receive such a calling you ask?
My top 5 reasons:
#5 No Sunday calling
#4 Church is located across the street from my school
#3 Teaching is what I love to do
#2 No boss
#1 Mandatory scripture study (this one I need the most).
Of course there are negatives such as: getting up an hour earlier and trying to motivate some kids who don't want to be there but I believe the positive far outweighs the negative.
In my mind, there might be only one cause of concern. I am team-teaching with another teacher who was called at the beginning of the year. We are going to teach 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. (I forgot to include that in my top 5 reasons....how sweet is that!?!?)
Anyway, I am concerned because I don't want to either be the teacher that all the kids hate and/or the teacher that all the kids like. I think in either scenario it could get dicey. I'm sure we will both have different teaching styles and I just don't want things to get uncomfortable for the kids and for us: the teachers.
Advice?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Woohoo! I just stalk and never comment, but I actually have some experience in this, so here it goes. Try to have good regular communication with the other teacher. I've team taught when it worked and when it didn't. When it doesn't work it stinks and for me carried over into the class atmosphere. I was the more strict teacher. Get all the things that have potential to cause problems out there now. Attendance. What constitutes a tardy? What constitutes a make-up assignment? I like the 2 weeks on 2 off deal. The no Sunday calling is sweet too. Everyone thinks you have no calling and you're just out in the fringes somewhere. Reason #2 - Lucky you if you have no seminary principal to surprise you with his presence the day you wear your big boot slippers to teach in and were up all night with a barfing child. Your #1 reason is the best and I have learned far MORE than I have taught. Welcome to the ranks!
I have no advice....but I am excited to get my butt in gear with my scripture reading. It will be fun to read along with where you and the class is. I definitely needed this!!
I guess I do have some advice...if you are the teacher they like, don't let them talk trash about the other teacher in front/to you.
It's Dave (not Cyndi) So My question is...are you going to bring donuts? If so - be sure to not leave them by the window so that your students don't hide them outside the window! Oh...and are you going to give tests? Oh...and are some of your kids going to dress like you?
Jon - thanks for the seminary memories! I am on the floor! Norm is delighting in retribution!
Have a good time!
Dave, that's funny. Good times with Norm. Can't believe how much crap he had to take from us.
By the way, we ate over at your buddy's house the other day (Taylor Woods). We had fun reminiscing when he used to come down from Utah and visit when we were kids.
Anyway, look us up next time you and Cindy are in town and us 6 can go out. It would be a blast!
Mom (the best seminary teacher every) used the good deed dollar system with us. Bribary works every time!
Taylor Woods - I haven't seen him in ages! You guys are in the same stake or ward? What a small world! Hopefully we will get out there some day...It would be really nice to see you guys - it has been too long!
Congratulations Jon! I know you are they only one who I would congratulate on this calling since you've been saying forever how much you would love it. I know you will be awesome. And you are always the diplomat. I'm sure you will get along just fine with the other teacher. Does he/she read this blog, btw?
Jon that is awesome! Your going to be great. And you will be the teacher ALL the kids like:)
Post a Comment