
So I've been taking a little heat lately for not enjoying The Olympics like most Americans. Usually when I do happen to catch a few events, my look is similar to Michael Phelps here at McDonalds......A look that says, "Dude, I just spent 2 1/2 hours of my life watching a freaking girls' marathon!?!?"

Supposedly she was the favorite to win the gold on the uneven bars especially after winning the overall gold but had to overcome some 10 year old Chinese chick first.

Per my last post, I have been a little apathetic when it comes to watching; however, since my wife is totally engaged, I figured that last night I would finally give it a whirl. You know...spend some quality time with the little lady watching the boob tube and cheering on our fellow countrymen and women for that matter. (isn't "boob tube" a funny name).
Our first event: Girls Beach Volleyball. I am developing a slight crush on Misty May (even thought she might have a little "FP" after she gets done playing volleyball and starts having kids). I know...I'm such a PIG!
Nonetheless, it was a good way to start the night. The team of May-Walsh is unbelievable. Unlike the other American team, they play together and encourage one another and seem (at the moment) unbeatable. Can hardly wait until the finals when they play China and attempt to win back-to-back Olympic Gold Medals, which has never been done on the beach before. I will definitely be watching that! (especially with those great camera angles). :)
However, like I was tempted to do, I should've called it a night right then and there. But NO! I thought, why not see what this Nastia chick was all about and take in some girls' gymnastics.

Supposedly she was the favorite to win the gold on the uneven bars especially after winning the overall gold but had to overcome some 10 year old Chinese chick first.
Well, as most of you know, the Chinese little girl goes first and (according to that "manly" announcer dude) made some big errors and the landing was far less than perfect. Then she gets some random score that no one knows how or why the judges came up with. Right after her routine, Nastia is up. (Can she actually ever be a winner in life with a name like "Nasty"a)?
Anyway, she seems to do very well. I guess her legs came slightly apart at one point (not sure what that means but that "manly" dude said it was a slight deduction). She then sticks the landing and somehow, someway gets the same exact score as HE did. (okay. Who's name is worse???? HE or NASTYa)????
So they tie and both get gold medals, right? I mean, that's what's been done since The Olympics began and that is what The Olympics is all about. Spirit of the competition, pushing each other to excel, etc. etc.
BUT NO! There is some random tie-breaking rule that gives the gold to HE even though "He's" a "she." Then, after further review, turns out that some random Australian judge totally underscored Nastya and this has been going on for years. Supposedly the Australians have something against Nastya and her Russian father/coach.
However, even after all of that, I was further confused. I thought, well there are still about 6 more gymnasts to go, maybe they can win. But even before they compete, the all-knowing "manly" commentator says, "Even if these girls are perfect, they can't win."
What?!? What kind of competition is this? Results seem pre-determined. Favorites can actually land on their knees and still win medals? Seriously, can anything really be called a "sport" when other people with obvious agendas determine who wins or not?
In my opinion, anything where a judge determines the outcome is NOT a sport and should not be in The Olympics. In Beach Volleyball, the ball is either in the court or it's out and the winner is determined by ability. In Swimming, you either touch the pad before your opponent or you don't. In Track and Field, you are either faster than your opponent or you're not. (BTW, congrats to the US in the 400 meter hurdles. 1-2-3 finish. Nicely done!)
Anyway, I was upset all night (well at least until I got into my bed 5 minutes later). I was upset that I had spent an hour or two out of my "busy" night to watch a "competition" where only 2 girls had a chance of winning and somehow both of those girls ended up in a tie? I was upset that a 12 year old girl with a fake Visa "beat" an 18 year old American girl from Russia only because an Australian judge doesn't like Russian-Americans. I was upset that it kinda mattered to me.
But I was really upset because Misty May and Kerri Walsh only had one more "match" and therefore I wouldn't be able to see great "shots" like these!

Did I mention I was a PIG!




5 comments:
I think they place too much emphasis on level of difficulty. I'd rather see an easier routine performed perfectly than huge acrobatics with high difficulty and mediocre execution. They also need to deduct more for poor landings. I know they aren't going to stick it everytime, but if you can't even land on your feet, then what's the point? It should be a failed element if they can't land on their feet in bounds.
Dro, I think the scoring system is fair. I just the judging has been poor and apparently biased. However, I've still really enjoyed the women's gymnastics. What they do is pretty amazing to me. The judging and ties are horrible, but it's still a great sport to watch. Unlike you, I don't like May and Walsh. I find them arrogant and annoying. I have been skipping most of their matches on my DVR. I have really enjoyed the track, swimming, and women's gymnastics. Men's gymnastics, on the other hand, is totally lame to me.
Dro, The Olympics are sweet! I do agree that the judging system is flawed. Especially if there are any asian judges because they can only see half of what we see right? But I will say that it makes it even sweeter when an american gymnist rises above all that and pulls off a victory! Yes, Nastia got screwed on the high bar (no pun) but she won the all around so who cares.
The girl I feel bad for is Alicia Sacrimone. She got screwed out of a metal because a crazy chinese chick decided to yell before she vaulted? I wonder if the yell cancelled out the landing on her knees out of bounds! I think Bella Carrolli said it best...."zis vuz a total rrrrip oaf". She clearly deserved the bronze metal and if I were a young girl in gymnastics today I would start looking into something else after watching these olympic judges shatter the dreams of these olympians.
Misty May and her partner Mary-Kate Olsen are HOT!!
Dro,
I too have a huge crush on Misty May. Something about athletic women really does it for me. I hate those sports that are determined by opinion also. How is your family doing? We need to draft for our fantasy football. When are you available? Tell Loubage I said HI.
Chad....once again, cracking me up!
Your Bella Carrolli take was PERFECT.
Post a Comment