When I woke up for my final day of this incredible journey, I walked outside and was amazed by the beauty that is Connecticut. Seeing homes not stacked right on one another was definitely a strange site for this Southern California kid. I realized for the first time why those from the East Coast are drawn back to their roots when they leave. They are surrounded by "sacred groves" and "greener pastures." Sure New York City is crowded and busy and a great place to visit; however, to make one's way into the suburbs and surrounding states, one can only be somewhat shocked and bewildered by its tranquil beauty and overwhelming peace. It was that very peace that I felt this morning walking the grounds and visiting the sites where my friend Nate grew up. My "rite of passage" continued that morning and I was grateful for the experience. Sometimes we are left alone to travel our inner-self and other times, we need a helping friend to show us the way. Thank you Nate for sharing that moment with me.

Anyway, James the Chauffeur was back. Nate needed to be dropped off at the airport and I needed to be shown the town. I didn't expect James to drive around this spoiled, white kid from So. Cal. with a camera around his neck but once again, as my luck with have it, he said with a smile on his face, "No problem." James is definitely DA MAN!!!!



After seeing "Ground Zero," we headed to the Statue of Liberty. No, I didn't pay the money or take the time to go over on the ferry but to even see it from afar was breathtaking. I was also able to take in the sights without worrying about getting a ticket or paying for parking...all (once again) because of my man James.


After that, James took me to see the UN, the Brooklyn Bridge, the East River, and some beautiful waterfalls. Around mid-day, he dropped me off at Times Square and we begrudgingly (at least on my part) went our separate ways. It was indeed an awesome way to kick-start my final day!
Anyway, James the Chauffeur was back. Nate needed to be dropped off at the airport and I needed to be shown the town. I didn't expect James to drive around this spoiled, white kid from So. Cal. with a camera around his neck but once again, as my luck with have it, he said with a smile on his face, "No problem." James is definitely DA MAN!!!!
After dropping off Nate at the airport and my stuff at a hotel near LaGuardia, we made our way to Manhattan. Once there, James showed me the sights. He stopped in the middle of the road a few different times and said, "Perfect shot. Hurry take a picture." Other times, he just dropped me off and said, "Walk around for awhile. Take your time. I'll circle around and pick you up when you're ready." Did I mention that James is DA MAN!!!!
I was first saddened to see Ground Zero. Being an Ignoramus that I am, I hadn't realized how close the World Trade Center was to a main street and surrounding buildings. I know it's weird to say this but the tragedy could've been much worse if the buildings didn't crumble straight down. They could've easily fallen to one side or the other destroying everything in their path. Perhaps most of you already knew that which shows me the effects of tragedy in my personal life. Since I knew no one involved and it had happened way over on the East Coast, I wasn't as deeply and emotional involved as I should've been. Sure, I "mourned for those who mourn" but I think I could've and shoud've done more.
Once again, a personal lesson learned that I wouldn't have learned had I not gone on this trip.
After seeing "Ground Zero," we headed to the Statue of Liberty. No, I didn't pay the money or take the time to go over on the ferry but to even see it from afar was breathtaking. I was also able to take in the sights without worrying about getting a ticket or paying for parking...all (once again) because of my man James.
After that, James took me to see the UN, the Brooklyn Bridge, the East River, and some beautiful waterfalls. Around mid-day, he dropped me off at Times Square and we begrudgingly (at least on my part) went our separate ways. It was indeed an awesome way to kick-start my final day!
I believe that Times Square and thus my afternoon and nightly activities deserve its own blog post so I will continue this at a later time. Stay tuned to see how my "rite of passage" was finally capped off!
I'd have to go it alone again as Nate had flown home to Florida and I'm sure James was happy to be relieved as tourist guide but I believe it is in our solitude that we learn the most about ourselves. Afterall character is defined as: What one does when no one is looking.

1 comment:
SO SO SO FUN! james for sure is Da MAN! we all need on of those...
how fun to take a vaca by yourself..especially one like this-how fun to have it all documented too..i hope you plan on putting it all into a book..i use www.blurb.com (i may have already told you about this company-it rocks!)
louann is DA WOMAN for letting you go while she stays with all 4 kiddos at home-question now is where is SHE going!?
ps: get onto facebook ALREADY!
Post a Comment