Yesterday....I flew into New York, drove to Boston, paid about $10 in tolls, and got to sleep about 3:30 am Eastern Standard Time. Time for day 2. (note: Yes, I was by myself on this vacation. While that might seem sad or depressing to the outsider, for me it was exactly what I needed and wanted. You see in order to fully experience a "rite of passage" I believe, one must accept the challenge and overcome any obstacle on his or her own. The time is yours to be spent on how you see fit and the results of the decisions that you make are all on you.....it was definitely an experience I needed to have by myself).
Day 2:
Got up at 7:30 am. No way I was wasting my dream vacation sleeping....plus I had to meet some dude from Boston at 8:00 am down in the lobby. Why you ask? I had purchased my ticket to Fenway for tonight's game off of Craig's List. I desperately wanted a ticket on top of the green monster. The big green wall that is synonymous with Fenway Park. A few years ago they added seats up on top of the monster and the tickets are one of the hardest to get in sports. On Ebay and Stubhub, they were selling for $300-$500; however, (as is the custom during one's rite of passage), I got lucky. I was able to get a ticket for only $100 and this morning at 8 am, I made the exchange.

Now that I had my ticket and my $3.00 breakfast, I was underway.
Hopped in the sweet purple rental car, and drove into the city. What to do with my day? The game didn't start until 7 pm, so I had all day to the tourist thing. I decided to drive into the city and walk the sights. In Boston, they have what they call The Freedom Trail. It's basically (if you start at the beginning, 2.5 mile walk throughout Boston hitting all the historic sites on your way such as: The Boston Massacre Site, Paul Revere's House, Old North Church, USS Constitution, and the Bunker Hill Monument. (There are about 15-16 sites as you can see below).
Anyway, I made the unfortunate mistake of starting in the middle of the Trail. So once I got to the end, I had to double back and make my way to the other side. Plus, I wore flip-flops so by the end, I was exhausted and my legs were killing me. No matter. Nothing could deter me from experiencing Boston. I had walked The Freedom Trail and now I had to climb the stairs that loomed before me: Bunker Hill Monument (294 stairs...after walking at least 5 miles!?!). I surprisingly made it without collapsing (yes I am out of shape and am quite the whimp); however, when I got to the top.....the view was amazing!!! (see below)
Due to being limited at how many pictures I can post, I must continue "Day 2" on my next entry. However, I was only a day and a half into my "rite of passage" and yet I could sense something special was happening. This was going to be a trip that I would never forget.....
To be continued.....


1 comment:
It was nice of you to never visit me when I lived in Boston but now take a sweet trip as soon as I am back in Cali.
The freedom trail is nice but tackling it all in one day is an accomplishment. Bunker/Breeds hill is pretty cool but I had the same experience going up those stairs which seem to never end and I am getting passed by 6 year olds.
How much did you pay in tolls going from NY to Boston? I am guessing $7 - $9 depending on which way you went.
Post a Comment