
I was wondering about the concept of The Olympics and how I should feel about them. On the one hand, I know I am supposed to show pride in my country. I want the US of A to be the best of the best. I want the athletes who have trained for four years to do well and possibly set a World Record or two. If "sport" is truly designed to have others push us to excel, then The Olympics are the pinnacle of that concept. The best of the best in each country of the world are pushing each other and their own bodies to accomplish something they have never accomplished. In essence, they are reaching goals that otherwise would not have been possible if it weren't for the ultimate competition.
On the other hand, (and I know this isn't PC) I don't care. I don't rush to my TV or to the computer to find out who won the synchronized diving competition (although, I am intrigued with the whole, shower after every dive thing. I mean I don't even shower every day much less after spending 30 seconds in the pool).
On the other hand, (and I know this isn't PC) I don't care. I don't rush to my TV or to the computer to find out who won the synchronized diving competition (although, I am intrigued with the whole, shower after every dive thing. I mean I don't even shower every day much less after spending 30 seconds in the pool).
I like the Michael Phelps story but only because I don't have to hear about Brett Favre anymore. I think it is awesome that he continues to break world records and earn gold medals (the cynical side in me wonders if HGH is a factor? why is it that every swimming world record continues to be broken by Phelps and others?). I want the US basketball team to finally win the gold (even though we are a huge favorite).
But even with all these things spinning in my head, I find myself apathetic to The Olympics. It doesn't affect my day or my night. My wife loves watching them though. She DVRs the events and watches them with a rooting interest while I am downstairs watching the Angels play the Mariners in a totally meaningless game.
Why is that? Does that make me any less of a person? (I know...after going on vacation by myself, it's kinda hard to get any lower).
However, the concept of what moves us as people is intriguing to me. Why do we schedule our lives around a "Seinfeld" or a "Project Runway" episode and yet when the best athletes in the world are competing, we could care less? (or am I only talking about myself here?).
But even with all these things spinning in my head, I find myself apathetic to The Olympics. It doesn't affect my day or my night. My wife loves watching them though. She DVRs the events and watches them with a rooting interest while I am downstairs watching the Angels play the Mariners in a totally meaningless game.
Why is that? Does that make me any less of a person? (I know...after going on vacation by myself, it's kinda hard to get any lower).
However, the concept of what moves us as people is intriguing to me. Why do we schedule our lives around a "Seinfeld" or a "Project Runway" episode and yet when the best athletes in the world are competing, we could care less? (or am I only talking about myself here?).
(sidenote: when I was in New York, I saw an ad for a new series called Beverly Hills 90210. They are bringing it back with different characters. I can hardly wait!)
I think what "moves us" is different for everybody but it is times like this when The Olympics are happening that proves to me personally, the things that "move me." Meaning the things that I plan for. The things that get me off the couch or on the couch for that matter.
I wish The Olympics moved me but sadly they do not. NBC tries to help us though. They give us insight to each individual athlete and try and connect us personally to them. Which brings me back to an older post about getting to know the characters in a TV show or Reality show. Once we get to know them and we have a rooting interest in them, then of course we are connected. We are locked in and we can't afford to miss an episode.
I view The Olympics as a "reality show" on a larger scale. At first we don't care. Then we get to know the personalities of the people on our screen and all of a sudden, we are sucked in. Just like we hope that Jesse is chosen by Deanna, we hope that Michael Phelps wins 8 gold medals. Same concept. We don't know any of them personally but because of the background stories, we feel like we do.
Maybe that's my problem. I haven't seen enough of The Olympics to have a rooting interest. I need to go back on the DVR and watch the background info on each athlete. Maybe if I eat three egg sandwiches with added cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise, three chocolate pancakes, three slices of French toast, a bowl of porridge and two cups of coffee for breakfast, I will also make 5 million a year in endorsements like Michael Phelps?
Maybe I can find out why Misty May now has Treanor at the end of her name and why she seems so much skinnier than 4 years ago? I can also find out if her husband is still in the major leagues or if he is gravy-training off his wife? Or what George Bush is doing here to Misty May-Treanor? (oh to be President....)
Maybe I can find out, if I play beach volleyball for the next 4 years, that I will be able to jump as high as Phil Dalhausser?


And ultimately, I can find out the answer to the ultimate question asked earlier in this post.......Why a shower is needed for those divers after spending 30 seconds in the pool and why the camera always pans to them so millions of people can watch them shower?
Thank you. I've talked myself through it and solved my own problem. Hopefully my wife still has them saved on the DVR.....





10 comments:
You don't shower everyday? Dude, you are disgusting! Dro, people shower so they can feel clean and refreshed...you should try it some time. Then when you "have a potty accident" (inside joke)while laying in bed, you'd actually know it happened!
I love the Olympics! I love watching the girls Gymnastics because they're actually pretty good unlike those buff and annoying midget dudes that represent USA... Those guys are a bunch of chokers.
It's sweet to see the girls hugging and clapping for each other even though we all know they hate each other and want their teammates to fall and make a fool of themselves so that they look better to the rest of the world.
PS- Micheal Phelps needs braces.
I shower once a week whether I need it or not.
Chad. THAT was hilarious. That made me laugh so hard, thank you. Classic.
Jon, unfortunately for you, I have to erase those suckers once I've watched them since there are so many set to record. But I have a feeling you don't really care anyway. Later, I'm off to watch today's recordings.
P.S. Take a shower, you stink.
I love reality shows, maybe that is why I LOVE the Olympics so much. I stay up way too late watching it and end up paying for it the next morning, I just can't get enough of it. Michael Phelps is amazing.
I can't wait for track and field to start.
Dro, I actually find I'm less into baseball this year than in any year that I can remember. Granted, it's probably because my team absolutely sucks. I have found though that baseball is a sport I'm passionate about when my team is doing well, and not so passionate about when they suck. Contrast that with football where I will watch any team (other than the Colts) play at any level at any time.
Anyway, the Olympics are cool. I don't like a lot of the events, but that's what a DVR is for. It's fun to me to pull for my country, at least other than men's basketball where I would like to see us lose (thanks to Kobe being on the team).
The divers shower off after every dive as a way of keeping their muscles warm and loose. If you notice, after the showers they often get into a big hot tub with several other divers to wait for their next dive, all the while keeping their muscles nice and loose.
Now as to why the camera seems intent on following them so we can all watch them take a shower, I can't quite answer that.
All I know is that Greg looseanus was a sweet diver. Remember when he hit his head on the diving board and almost decapitated himself? That was sweet!
You call yourself a sports fan and don't like the Olympics? Come one and get some American pride. By the way Chad, in the team competition the US girl gymnast choked as well--the Chinese left a small opening and the US chick couldn't even mount the balance beam!! But hear hear with Phelps needing braces.
There's too many innuendos in the last comment by Stephanie for me to comment....but I'm making myself crackup just thinking about them.
Post a Comment