Followers

Monday, August 4, 2008

Day 2 Continued....



Now where was I.....Oh yea, I had just walked "a thousand miles," rode my first subway, and bought a dog from the "Sausage Guy" to reach the pinnacle of my trip. With legs aching, cramps happening, and back starting to give out, I finally was let inside the hallowed gates of Fenway Park. As I made my way up the stairs, I knew the reason why I had come: To be a part of baseball history and baseball lore. As a fan, I needed to see Fenway. I needed to experience the very park where Babe Ruth both pitched and roamed the outfield grass. And as I settled in my seat and took in my surroundings, there was no place I would've rather had been at that moment in time.



Anyway, onto the action. I had arrived early enough to see batting practice. There were tours going on around me but the Red Sox and Angels were pounding balls and some carried the "green monster" into the very territory of which I now occupied. And wouldn't you know it....Manny Ramirez (one of the best right handed hitters in Red Sox history and in what happened to be his last game as a Red Sox player), launched a ball in my direction. I jumped and the ball grazed my fingertips but being that "white men can't jump," I wasn't able to reel it in. I turned however and dove in the direction of the ball and as fate would have it, secured a batting practice homerun ball by Manny Ramirez on my only visitation to Fenway Park!!!!






I was living a dream and basically having an out of body experience. Like I said, it was a "rite of passage" moment where being by myself made it all the more sweeter. After that the game was a blur. I rooted for MY Angels. I wore Angels gear and talked to the fans around me. We became good friends and enjoyed one another's company even though I was an Angel fan. The Angels played exceptional that night and blew out the home team. I was, of course, more than thrilled.






Much to my dismay, the game came to a close and I headed home via subway. Of course, when I got off the subway, I had forgotten where I parked and walked a few more miles before finally figuring it out. Have I mentioned that my legs were killing me!!!! (note to self: If I ever walk a long distance again, please put on tennis shoes and not flip flops).


Anyway, I found my sweet, purple rental car still in tact, paid the $31 bucks for parking and drove to the hotel. I couldn't believe the day I had nor could I believe that I still had 2 more days to go!

NEW YORK CITY.....here I come!!!!!


4 comments:

Kristen said...

Jon, glad to see you updated I was looking forward to reading more.
This seriously is a "dream vacation" I'm loving it! I laughed when I heard you wore flip flops with all that walking...so funny!

maines said...

Sounds awesome. I admit, I was one of the ones who thought a vacation by yourself sounded a little sad, but now I'm totally jelous. I can't wait to hear more....

loubige said...

I enjoyed hearing about your trip when you got home but I must say I am also enjoying reading about it...it's fun to read about it for some reason. Glad you had fun.

P.S. I have NO sympathy (none whatsoever) for you not wearing tennis shoes only b/c we had JUST happened to have a discussion about how flip flops hurt your feet/legs when you walk long distances about a month ago...so I figured--HELLO--that you would be smart enough to wear tennis shoes while SIGHTSEEING!!!! And it sounds like you walked miles and miles that day as well. :-)

Hans said...

Great trip Dro!!! One question. How do I get my wife to let me travel Europe by myself? : )