Followers

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Hawaiian Vacation 2011


Day One (Friday)
It’s amazing that this trip is even happening.   Lou Ann and I had talked back in the summer when we were in Europe that we needed to desperately go on a family vacation.  We were feeling a little selfish as we cruised the Mediterranean for 3 weeks and knew that it would probably be our last vacation without our children; however, we didn’t think that come February, (only a few months later), we would find ourselves on a plane flying to Hawaii.  Somehow, someway we made it happen and we are all stoked to say the least.  Lou Ann and the kids flew out on Wednesday and now it’s my turn. 
I got to the airport a little early eager to get on my way…also because I knew that Lou Ann wouldn’t have it any other way.  Just because I’m flying solo doesn’t mean she is still not with me in spirit.  I can hear her organized voice in my head, “Jon, you never know?  There might be traffic or long lines.  You might get lost or have trouble checking baggage, etc.”  So here I am, 3 hours early.  At least I’m not going to miss my flight. :)
Flying is kinda fun…for the first 10 minutes, then you just want to get there.  I feel the same way right now.  I would watch a movie but for some reason, they now charge you $15.  I am not a frequent flyer so I’m not sure when that change happened but it’s not very fair in my mind.  It already cost us our life savings and a few credit card charges to get here and now they want $15 dollars more?  I don’t think so.  Luckily I have my book…not sure that will keep my attention for the next 5 hours though? 

Finally we are arriving into Honolulu.  My brother Greg (resident local of the Big Island in Hawaii) is meeting me at the airport to pick me up.  It will be nice to have someone who knows the streets of Oahu.  I’m sure I would get lost trying to find our hotel in downtown Waikiki.  Greg and his family were kind enough to fly over for the week so the cousins could get together and we could spend some good family bonding time.  It will be great having them here.


I got in pretty late so Greg just drops me off and after hugs and kisses with the family, we hit the sack.  Sounds like the fam has been having fun without me though.  They went snorkeling, shopped at the local mall, swam in Ko’Olina Bay, and ate at Bubba Gump Shrimp.  We are officially in Hawaii!  Boo ya!


No comments: