I don’t think I mentioned it but there was another reason we chose Hawaii during February. First we get a week off of school which the Laguna Beach School District likes to call “Ski Week.” Second, the baseball team had raised enough money to come as a team and of course the coaches (one of them being me) were invited. I asked about bringing my family and was answered in the affirmative…so the research began as far as price goes. We decided to get our own flights and hotel (it ended up being a little cheaper) but I still felt like I needed to attend the games and help coach. Which brings me to Saturday’s doubleheader…
We were playing two games today and I knew that we wouldn’t be doing much sightseeing but it was still fun to see the baseball fields that the local Hawaiian’s high schools had to offer. The first field was set up high on a hill and therefore had a beautiful view of the ocean. I could see why sports teams from the mainland have trouble winning in Hawaii: They get mesmerized by tranquil scenery while the local teams kick their butt. Needless-to-say, this happened to us. We made silly mistakes both physically and mentally and lost both games that day. My family and Greg’s attended the first game and endured the sun as they supported the Breakers. I was happy to see them and talk a little in between innings. Not sure that Luke liked sitting in the heat or if he was just upset that we were losing but it looked like Lou Ann had to take him for a walk in order to kill some time. I don’t blame him; I was a little upset too with the product on the field.
Anyway, the afternoon game wasn’t much better but luckily Greg and Becky agreed to take the kids to the pool while only Lou Ann endured the errors and blunders. The good news was that the parents of the local baseball team had a huge BBQ going with all kinds of food. I had a teriyaki burger that was to die for. Maybe all was not lost on this my first day in Hawaii.

No comments:
Post a Comment