Followers

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Equality for All???



My brother-in-law sent me this story yesterday (thank you Eric) about the Mormon family that placed the YES on 8 banner on their house, only to wake up the next morning and find this SUV parked near their driveway with the "endearing" phrase "BIGOTS LIVE HERE."

Immediately, my own thoughts turned ugly. I thought, "Who would do something like this? Why the outward show of hate? I thought there was freedom of speech in America?" I then signed up to be a member of the Mercury News. I was going to show them. I was going to post my comments about this article. I was going to blast those who parked that SUV. I was going to convince everyone to vote YES on Prop 8.

However, I started to read everyone else's comments: some supporting the Mormon family but most supporting the SUV owners. I started to get sucked in to the hype and the hatred. And I started to get a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. Needless-to-say, I didn't post my comments. I realized that I was getting the same feeling I got on my mission when people were hating on me for being a missionary. In the first year of my mission, I would confront these people and try and convince them that the church was true......I didn't realize until my 2nd year that I was doing exactly what they wanted me to do. Those type of people love confrontation. They love controversy. They love contention.

And so, here we are again. Prop 8 has brought me full circle. It's been 15 years since I came home from the Canary Islands and yet, those feelings of contention have risen again. Are we going to convince people to vote YES by being angry and reacting in a malicious or hate-spewed manner? No. Just like we aren't going to change our minds, just because someone parks an SUV in front of our house and calls us "Bigots."

My plea to all you supporters of Prop 8: Be better than our opposition. Be better colleagues. Be better neighbors. Be better people. Wave signs with smiles on your faces even as many drive by with their middle fingers out the window. Put bumper stickers on your cars and replace them happily when they get ripped off. Send letters to people informing them of the truths and realities of Prop 8. Go door to door in your neighborhood and when the hate starts to spew from some of your neighbors' mouths, thank them for their time and move on.

I can hardly wait when Prop 8 passes because at that time, only one word will be necessary:

SCOREBOARD!

13 comments:

loubige said...

I'm getting nervous......I was listening to the radio when taking Jamie to school and one poll the LA Times quoted is showing Yes's at 44% and No's at 52%.

Basically it looks like a flip flop is occurring--there are a lot of people in the middle that don't know what they are going to vote and keep changing their minds. These are the people I am nervous about, I just hope their flip flop cycle is on "yes" when it comes election day.
I will be so happy when this is done--even happier if it passes.

Anonymous said...

I believe that it will pass. Regardless, I am inspired by all of the members and non members of the church alike who have come together to work and support this proposition. I find it comical that the oppositions bumper sticker reads "Stop the Hate, Vote NO on 8" and then you read articles like this and read about how people's property has been vandalized, and the number of yard signs stolen. I ask you who are the ones hating? I have yet to read about the same happening to the NO side.

The Moderator said...

Loubige,
The polls tend to flip-flop more than the voting public does. One of the advantages of being gay (I presume) is that you have fewer demands on your time - no soccer practice, no violin lessons, or any other kid-centered activities. So your time is free for parading, protesting, and answering the phone when pollsters call. Remember, John Kerry had a double digit lead on Bush about two weeks before election 04.

My guess is that they'll be at the voting stations in all their flamboyant glory on election day so that straight people will feel squeamish and awkward, and go home.

I'm attracted to women other than my wife - I'm genetically inclined that way. I wonder if enough guys like me got together and protested loud enough, if we could get the definition of 'marriage' broadened to include anyone you have a crush on, or a fling with. The legal system should cater to people's perversions, should it not?

loubige said...

Most definitely....Jon and I are scoping out for his next wife just in case this thing doesn't pass--might as well take advantage and have some more help around the house. :-)

Jill said...

Jon...

This is your cousin Jill...first time commenter, long time reader of "life according to Dro!":) Today while I was driving I heard an ad on the radio for "No on 8." Several times during the ad it was mentioned that teachers support "NO on 8" and that the teachers union has donated money to the "NO" campaign. As a result I will be going to my district office tomorrow to make sure I am no longer a part of this "union."

Dro said...

Jill,

Ironically, I also heard those ads and saw them on TV the past few days. So today, I called the California Teachers Association on my lunch hour and voiced my displeasure. They have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars of OUR union fees to fight this proposition. I asked the phone rep. why? What does Prop 8 have to do with teachers? He said, "everyone should be treated equally."

My response: In that case, I want your financial support next year when I insist on marrying multiple women or possibly even my beloved horse. (same thing, isn't it?) After all, I was born a womanizer and/or an animal-lover. I didn't choose to be born that way...shouldn't I get to marry my "loved" one or loved "ones"?

His response: dial tone.

Classic.

Greg said...

Clearly the gulf separating the great and spacious building and those clinging to the iron rod grows wider. The scriptures do not talk about the people in that building commenting plesently how they respect the opinions of those on the path to the tree of life. They point their fingers and laugh at them. But remember the building falls and "the fall thereof was exceedingly great".

I don't know how Prop 8 will turn out but, as when we were missionaries, we need to do all that we can that people feel free to follow thier conscience.

Melody said...

I read this website http://www.article6blog.com/2008/10/21/californias-proposition-8-open-season-on-mormons/ today and it made me sick to see the discrimination toward mormons and those for prop 8.

Dro - Jim has the same idea trying about getting polygamy on the ballot next year.

Unknown said...

Screw that! I would have thrown at least 20 dozen eggs on that car! and when those butches came to pick it up they would have gotten the sprinklers. Sorry dro, I guess I'm the one guy not mentioned in Lehis dream who when laughed at by those in the spacious building ties a rope to the tree of life and swings across the river like Tarzan and then throws on the brass knuckles. I know, I'm going to hell.......at least I'll have alot of my gay friends there throwing eggs at me all day.

loubige said...

Chad, you are awesome.

Greg said...

Loved the comment Chad. Great image.

Anonymous said...

Seriously...All we need is a lawyer to petition the CA supreme court, and we can get ourselves a few more wives. Mel could use the help, and I could also get a wife with a job that could help with the bills. and as for the SUV parked in front of the house, I would have parked both of my cars in a way that would block it in. Then just train the security camera in on it and wait for the fun.

Unknown said...

Cort,

I didn't know you drove a suburban.