
As many of you probably know by now, I am a big Angel fan. I'm not going to profess that I am THE biggest fan out there but I usually either watch, listen to, or attend all 162 games every year. This year, for the first time in franchise history, they won 100 games. They looked good all year. They pitched well and played great defense. They even traded for one of the biggest studs in the Majors in Mark Teixeira. This was a good year to be an Angel fan.....until last night.
Last night, the Angels lost for the 3rd time to the Boston Red Sox in the past week and were eliminated from the playoffs leaving me with an empty void that will not be filled until next April when they try and do it again.
My emotions were as high last night as they were on Sunday. Every pitch meaning more than the next and the pressure was intense (and I'm only talking about me....sitting on my couch at home). This is the passion I feel for my beloved Halos.
I'm 36 years old and I found myself sitting at home, screaming at my television, the three words many other Angel fans said at the exact same time, "Aybar....YOU SUCK!!!!"

Of course, it was at that moment that my wife emerged from the kids' bedrooms and "not so politely" reminded me that I was a father of 4 children who (at times) look up to me as their role model. She wasn't impressed when I recounted to her how Aybar missed a bunt attempt while Willits was stealing home and that if you call yourself a Major League Baseball Player and you can't make contact on a bunt attempt then you do, in fact SUCK!!!!
Anyway, it was only about 10 minutes later that the Angels suffered an ignominious death. As the final run was tallied and the Red Sox poured out of the dugout to celebrate....what did I do?
Did I yell at the TV? No.
Did I throw anything? No.
Did I curse to the heavens? No.
Did I backhand my wife? No. (sidenote: that was just a joke...meant to get a laugh. My wife would work me in any physical encounter).
Instead of doing any of these things (like I would've in the past), I calmly turned off the TV, went downstairs and did some ironing. I needed a little alone time and figured by ironing a few shirts, I would get more in touch with my feminine side and leave the yelling to other manly men.
It worked. I calmed down and was fine and was ready to move on. However, the wife came downstairs and made my night much worse. She delivered even more devastating news:
Misty May had injured herself in Dancing with the Stars and would no longer be able to participate.

My reaction: Lou Ann, YOU SUCK!!!!!

7 comments:
Aybar and Howie Kendrick......YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a very difficult time looking at Misty May if she's not in a bikini with sunglasses on. If there was a definition for butterface, she would be pictured. The Angels were great to watch all year. I was also convinced that they could not hang if they were in a close game. How many times can you promote the fact that Torii Hunter hit a walk off grand slam in April? Who cares? It wasn't pivotal game 4 in any series, it was pivotal game 15 out of 162. Earn your money and win. As far as Aybar goes, he should have been allowed to swing the bat. All it takes is a slow grounder to the right side of the field, a bloop, a fly ball. Next year. Least they're not the Yankees. JP
But Jason, you have to agree that a starting MLB player has to be able to either lay down a bunt or even foul one off in that situation. Aybar cost the Angels a potential world series on that one play. Maybe not the best call by soscia but if the players can't execute we can never know if it was a bad call or not. If Aybar lays down that bunt we win that game and soscia looks like a genius.
True Chaddy. I can't believe he didn't make contact with that ball. He could've popped it up and double play ensues. Props to Scosia for gambling. They've lived and rarely died with speed all year. With Willits at third base and his speed, he is scoring on almost anything hit. A suicide squeeze was not out of the question on things to look for. If they wanted more surprise, do it with two strikes since you're gambling. Aybar had a huge hit the night before. If he gets that bunt down, the run scores, Angels take the lead. You can't assume that K-Rod will come in and shut down Boston. You can assume that Shields and Frankie will get the last 6 outs in regular season. When was the last time that happened in post season? The Halos were one of the coldest teams leading up to the post season and they played like it except for a nice comeback in Game 3. If Manny can take down Boston, that'd be great. If Tampa Bay does what they.....who cares? JP
I could go either way on this. I think Scioscia has to put his players in position to be successful. Aybar has been a drag bunter his whole career so he is used to squaring around late and jabbing at the ball, which is what he essentially did. He needed to do better.
Reggie Willits should not have been on the playoff roster. Brings nothing to the table. What does Willits do that Gary Matthews can't do. Having Willits in right field late in games 2 and 4 was inexcusable.
Free agents: Rivera, Vlad, Tex, Frankie, and GA.
What do you do?
Adios Frankie & Juan! GA, you can retire an Angel for substantially less than you've been making. Vlad, short term no huge bank. Tex, what will it take to keep you an Angel? You are the future of this team. JP
I'm glad you know your place with me.
Post a Comment